Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Which mandolin should I buy?

Well, it may be used but it can't be all that old. I think he is only on #17 right now (a mandola). Still that mandolin is a beauty. Congratulations.
  2. Replies
    Views

For the assist!

[YOUTUBE]7J4IEETv-HA
  3. Replies
    Views

Sounds good, I tried to embed the video but it came up as an error.
    Maybe the link will work.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J4IEETv-HA
  4. Replies
    Views

Wow, that's beautiful. Congratulations!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What pick for what style?

When I play classical, the warm tone really sound wrong to me. I much prefer the high scintillating brilliance. The sparkles. This requires a thinner pointier pick. I use a PickBoy 0.75 mandolin...
  6. Replies
    Views

For bluegrass I like the Wegen BG 140.

Bright and loud but not brash or tinny. I liked the Primetones and Pro plecs but the Wegen just gives me more volume for less effort especially on the...
  7. Replies
    Views

One thing about a Bluechip is that they sell pretty quickly here in the classifieds. So if you don't bond with your choice you could flip it.
  8. Replies
    Views

LOL... I just realized my response was very dry and not reflecting the light hearted intent of the question.
    I will admit that I tried to bust out Big Mon once, but it didn't go well.

Then...
  9. Replies
    Views

Here.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/117767-The-Traveling-Pick-Sampler-Anyone-Interested?highlight=traveling+pick+sampler
  10. Replies
    Views

Nope. I don't play anything on the sitar other than traditional Indian Classical Music.
    I guess I am a snob in that way, and don't think the sitar is appropriate for other genres.
    There are a few...
  11. Re: I知 so sorry (for the thread what mando should I not buy)

A bit of a conundrum: there are hundreds of posts on different threads, counseling against buying a particular brand or model of mandolin, or individual mandolin. However, a thread started basically...
  12. Replies
    Views

It's probably worth signing up for that traveling pick sampler if you are curious about different picks. Different instruments sound better with different picks as far as I can tell. My son got...
  13. Replies
    Views

One thing that's neat about Blue Chip picks is that although they have a very smooth surface, they get "stickier" if your hand is damp. It's something to do with how surface tension of moisture...
  14. Replies
    Views

Picks are as personal a choice as strings. What suits you is what is important. Shape , material, thickness, bevel are all choices to be made. Yes Blue Chip and Wegan both manufacture fine picks. As...
  15. Replies
    Views

Sound sample with the 0.60mm
    Moscow Nights 0.60mm.mp3
    I wouldn't always play it like this, more often I'd use the 0.73 which is a little firmer, and if I was playing along with others, something...
  16. Replies
    Views

I have used BlueChips (TAD 40's) a lot for guitar & mandolin but recently have been using a Charmed Life ntr-1.15. I find that the Charmed Life Pics hold their own against BlueChips. I was dropped on...
  17. Replies
    Views

Mostly I play European folk music, with the emphasis on playing the melody, including lots of tremolo as a matter of routine. I've tended to settle on the Jim Dunlop nylon range, typically the .73mm,...
  18. Replies
    Views

To me picks are about tone and ease of playing.

BC's are darker and glide easier than the equivalent pick in another material.

I used to play a primetone 1.5 triangle, switched to a BC...
  19. Replies
    Views

For what it's worth, and we all play different music here -- I use a Blue Chip TAD40-1R (medium triangle, 1.0mm thick) for playing Irish and Scottish traditional music on mandolin. I need a thinner...
  20. Replies
    Views

The BlueChip is the rich warm one of the three. Give a clean rich tone.
    The Wegen is a little brighter and has a slight texture which makes it a very slightly grittier tone.

The Big Stubby...
  21. Replies
    Views

I am using a Bluechip TAD-1R 40 for my octave and 1R 50 for my mandolin. ITM, fiddle tunes and Appalachian tunes are most of what I play. An occasional choro or two. I don't really swap for...
  22. Replies
    Views

I use a Bluechip CT55 on mandolin, or Wegen Tf140.
    I like the big triangle for mandolin.
    I find it just suits the playing style better.
    For example, I find tremolo much easier with a big triangle,...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: What Mandolin should you not buy???

A discussion centered around cutting down and criticizing people that build mandolins as their passion or companies involved in their distribution with people making their living do so is not what...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Would appreciate some opinions please.

To clarify: I believe those prices above are for F-models. The OP with a $6000 budget is willing also to look at A models as well.
  25. Re: Another good reason to own more than one mando - string compa

Your test may be valid, but I see no value in comparing strings on my Gibson A-1 and Arches kit. Far too different from each other, but two similar instruments could be a useful comparison.
Page 1 of 2 1 2