Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Ellis Torch and Wire in todays classified.

You can't pick 'Bluegrass Breakdown' on your car though, can you? :mandosmiley:
  2. Re: Gibson A5G, 1986, Nashville, Derrington ??

That looks like it might be a stripped down, refinished Asian import which has then been 'faked up' with the rather audacious label and poorly-done headstock. Shocking, actually.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Adventures in Clip-On Mics

This is an issue with all instrument mounted mics.

The thing I found was that when using them you need a different playing technique to compensate. Varying volume by picking intensity rather than...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Recording Mic Setup

Is the room treated?

That is one of the most under-rated but important factors of all in getting a good result.

Mic position is next. Try moving the mic(s) around while checking the results. If...
  5. Re: man I need a good tuner foot pedal model. not clip on

TC Polytune. These are a seriously fine tuner!
  6. Re: Bluegrass/celtic band playing Train 45 SUPER FAST

Seems to define "That ain't no part of nothin'" in my opinion.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mic preamp for condenser

The problem with the Ui16 preamps is the chip they used. There certainly IS a link between the "hiss" level and having phantom power engaged, however... it only manifests as you crank the gain right...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mic preamp for condenser

The Triton Fethead PHANTOM does work fine with the Ui16. Solves the excess noise issue. I have tested that myself.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Bluegrass Band Single Microphone?

Quoting myself from some time back...

" the 'Edwina' is built around the Transound TSB2555a electret 1" capsule (retail price $12) and uses the generic (very simple) Schoeps transformerless FET...
  10. Replies
    Views

I think one reason the KSM's are popular is because they are very tough, well-engineered and stand up well to outdoor/live use. They are also very consistent. All mics have their own 'sonic...
  11. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Yes. I noted that too. Truly bizarre. I can only think he is badly confused.... somehow thinking he can levy a fee of some kind every time a Gibson is depicted or can impose conditions upon how it is...
  12. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Shame they forgot about 'The Loar' :))
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Adventures in Clip-On Mics

Keep it simple.

The AT mics are designed to run straight into your standard mixer channel (I use a QSC Touchmix) but as long as you have good preamps and phantom power anything will do... a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Three points:

1) There is no such thing as a 'best' microphone. There are a lot of good ones, some superb ones, and which is 'best' is very much open to personal taste, your technical...
  15. Re: Condenser mic for live and home recording

+1 on the Shure KSM 32. Works well on stage (room acoustics and monitor levels permitting) and is also good in the studio for both instruments and vocals. A very versatile and well-made mic. The...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mounting a DPA 4099 on a mandolin

A few other examples...

Definitely loop the cable to avoid pulling on the mount.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Going Wireless

One thing to be aware of.... most of the lower cost digital options have quite significant levels of latency (anything from 20-35m/s). This may or may not bother you. The other potential problem area...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: PreSonus Air10

The Air10's are pretty decent. I've heard them, and checked them out, and at under $400 they are well worth the money. The QSC K10's and Yamaha's (DXR's) are certainly a step up in overall quality (I...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Problems with my first mandolin

Just to add to what Ron says...top is collapsing and warping. Structural defect. Return for exchange or refund.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Shadow bridge pickup?

Cheap piezo preamp: Hard to beat THESE.

I have seen them for $20 sometimes on Ebay and Amazon!

They are one of those 'far better than you have any right to expect for the price' items that...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Not all Collings hold their value

Whatever the actual dealer/wholesale price really is. We all know some companies 'inflate' the so-called 'list' price to make things appear a better deal than they really are - but ultimately what...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Not all Collings hold their value

Actually, manufacturers DO have the "sole right" to set the price. They can, and they do. This does then 'filter down' (eventually) to the used market. Another example is the Kentucky KM1000. Just a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Silverangel praise

Well... you joined in 2013, and there have been innumerable references to "Ken" (Ratcliff) in the years since, so many that I'd almost defy anyone to count - so I am guessing that yes, most would...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-5L thoughts

Fantastic. I have owned and played a lot of mandolins over the years... out of all of them, the three that really stood out have been my lovely Ellis F5 Special, my Harvey-signed Fern and a very nice...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-5L thoughts

A Harvey-signed Fern is a pretty safe bet.

I've encountered a number of them and have owned one for several years. All were very good indeed. That looks to be a very fine example, with outstanding...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4