Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing with three fingers

Thanks for the responses. I do use my pinky often, just not for those distant stretches. Three strings work fine. I do recommend the various Jethro Burns books. I have learned much from them. Last...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do people do this?

I have always had the opinion that top wear is almost never "pick wear". It is from fingernails, etc. (pinky and ring). I also don't call the elevated 'guard' on a mandolin a "pick-guard"...it is a...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A 1916 mandolin case search

I have a rectangular case made by Access that fits my 1920 A-2 perfectly. Not sure about a model number. Only negative is that it is somewhat heavy, but hey...it protects my 100 y/o friend very well....
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Go To Jams Now!

In Austin Texas, we seem to have quite a few jams every month. The best place to keep updated is at the website for Austin Friends of Traditional Music ... aftm.us
    There is at least one jam...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Del McCoury Band w/ Thile

Del McCoy was great Friday night at Old Settlers Music Fest last month...night closed out by Shiny Ribs. Doesn't get much better.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Austin - where to go for music?

Definitely try and visit Tom Ellis, you'll meet Pava as well.
    Of course go to Fiddlers Green
    BBQ: I agree you don't have to go out of town, there are many in Austin: Blacks (on Guadalupe, not the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap peg keeps popping out

My pet peeve is the so called "pick guard". It is a finger rest. You might notice that your pick never touches the top of a mandolin without one. Top wear is caused by fingernails etc.
    Yeah,...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Tempted by a Gibson 1920 A-3

Have a good time Roger
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Why did you begin playing a tenor guitar?

Exactly. Transition from mandolin is pretty seamless and I love being able to drop down an octave, so it is "Irish" tuned (GDAE). It all got decided when I found a beautiful late 20's...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Terrified of changing strings

Get online and look at resources. The method show here http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Mandolin/MandoString/mandostring1.html is excellent. One thing people seem unsure of is how how to...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: I may need to change my next purchase

Living in Austin where Pava is based, I have seen a good number come through Fiddlers Green Music Shop and every one I have tried out was well worth the price. Pava has been Tom Ellis' main assistant...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Praise for the Kentucky KM-150

Sometimes I have tried out a Kentucky 150 series or 250 and thought they were better than most mandolins selling for 2 or 3 times as much, even those made by Kentucky. I have always preferred them...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: 3 fingered chop chords?

The Complete Jethro Burns Mandolin Book is pretty good. He very often played with only three fingers and the resulting chords. Great results, of course.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: which vintage oval would you have ordered...

Here is proof that Gibson had payment plans: Sales price $55.00, $15.50 down and $10 per month until fully paid.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=131390&d=1425595023
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: "The Greatest Mandolin Performance Ever"

One of Chris Thile's greatest accomplishments has been his transformation of pieces written by Bach for violin (and other instruments as well) into mandolin. The Mandolin can accomplish things the...
  16. Re: Why did you choose the mandolin over another instrument?

Exactly. I have never clicked with guitar and when I discovered my first mandolin (a Mid-Missouri flat-top I found in a pawn shop...cheap) it was a revelation as to how understandable chords etc...
  17. Re: Need advice on whether to buy Gold-Tone TG-10 or Kala KA-GTR?

I have compared a Goldtone and a Kala side by side and prefer the Kala. A Blueridge would be a step up from either one.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Travel with my vintage mandolin

Good viewpoint. I have to say camera equipment and vintage musical instruments are to VERY different things as far as theft temptation.
  19. Re: rookie question: Weber -vs- Collings -vs- others

I just played a Weber Yellowstone made in 2009...for sale at Fiddlers Green Music Shop here in Austin. Really nice instrument...factory distressed...$3300 and worth it. It beat the Collins and the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: who is your go to mandolin store & why.

I live in Austin Texas, home to Fiddlers Green Music Shop, a wonderful acoustic only shop always with a fine selection of mandolins (Eliis, Pava, Collins, Kentucky, Eastman) as well as guitars,...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Rescued and reborn

I have a Stromberg-Voisinet instrument from the late 20's well before the formation of Kay in 1931 from the assets of Stromberg-Voisinet. I suppose it COULD be plywood, but the grain inside matches...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Gibson Receipts.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=131390&d=1425595023

Here is the sales receipt for my Gibson A-2. Sold in Chicago in Jan 1920, probably made 1919.
  23. Re: Curious about the Bluegrass mandolin market segment

The organization I play with the most (when I get out of the house to do it) is the Austin Friends of Traditional Music. The name says it all. Bluegrass is only part of it. These days they even have...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin Style C Initial Impressions

"a great instrument to sing to"... That is the key description in my opinion. Italian tarantellas perhaps?
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Lightest weight mandolin

I have always been surprised at how light weight the old Martin bent-top mandolins are. Yet they are well built and good performers.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4