Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

I’m happy to see them still making mandolins still.
  2. Gibson contribution to the war effort in WWII

Someone had asked a question in another thread about Gibson manufacturing during WW!. I went looking but didn't find anything that I could point to to contribute but I did bump into some WWII...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: LIVE Unboxing of Gibson Mandolins

The sound starts around the 10 minute mark. Wow this is cool!

SZgFRqbgBxM
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick grip collage

Hmmm. I might just stop worrying about my grip. I am somewhere close to the spectrum. Problem being, that removes one of my excuses.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: To be or not to be (a bluegrass player)

Yes…bluegrass/fusion..lol
  6. free live concert by Elderly, Nora Brown, April 7

set your calendar, even if you are not into open back banjo, enjoy the journey this young lady will take you on. seen her play 2 finger and clawhammer old appalachian music. I think she's in the 10th...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Types of Mandolin Collections

Another type... but it may or may not be a "collector" though.

A musician who collects tools to satisfy creative needs. I'd land here. I'm not looking for anything expensive, vintage, or...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: D'addario strings (Consistent breakage)

I only break an "E" string when im tuning up my "A" string but turning the "E" tuner :)
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: '23 Gibson A2

Please don't modify a 1923 mandolin. You are only the short term caretaker of this 97 year old.

There are 1000s of other mandolins available with the neck profile you desire.
  10. Re: Is playing TABS detrimental to really learning?

My favorite mandolin player, who was my instructor for four years, could not read tab or notation and did not know theory in the academic sense. Everything was by ear and he could pick a tune up fast...
  11. Re: Microphone recommends for home studio recording?

Warm Audio has some really nice mics out on the market. I have heard good things about this one: ...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for Music Documentary Recommendations

A documentary on Norwegian sisters Ragnhild and Eldbjørg Hemsing on their quest to recreate the sound of Ole Bull Norway's most famous violinist / composer.
    I really like the way their infectious...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: String winder

i found these this past winter, i gave away or sold all my other winders. they have a rubber like coating, ball bearings-super smooth, and the tip fits mandolin tuners perfect, and, the way its...
  14. Thread: No motivation

by roysboy
    Replies
    Views

Re: No motivation

''No more jams due to the pandemic.''

??????????. Not sure why . We've jammed outside a few times ...kept our distance .....just wear a mask-or not as long as you are distancing .
    Most summer...
  15. Help identifying the Gibson Mando in this YouTube performance

Hey all, first post, happy to be here! I've played guitar for 10 years, Bouzouki for 4 months, and have decided I ought to add a Mando to that collection. As I'm big into Irish Trad music, I have a...
  16. Virtual Newport Folk Festival this weekend

Like all of our favorite festivals, Newport is virtual this weekend. They have a number of events from their website www.newportfolk.org. Personally, I am excited about streaming some sets from...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Garcia guitar Grisman mandolin

This: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Before_the_Dead
    for those unaware of it.

Before the Dead is an album by Jerry Garcia. It is a compilation of early recordings of Garcia playing folk and...
  18. Fantastic David Grisman Quintet one mic recording

This is part of a series of recordings done with a one mic technique. This method produces very clean three dimensional recordings but requires impeccable musicianship. There is no repairing a...
  19. Re: Hello All. I'm new here, first post. Loving the mandolin.

Welcome Jetson! It doesn't matter what you play or how you play it, as long as your play'n it's all good.:mandosmiley:
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: CEO Chris Martin IV Announces Retirement

I just changed my name to CF Martin V.............don't know if that will help or not???? :cool:
  21. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile Livestream

Chris Thile has a livestream concert this weekend on Sunday: https://www.caramoor.org/events/chris-thile-summer-20/

I just saw this on his Instagram and thought I'd share!
  22. Replies
    Views

Hard Times Bluegrass Festival

Just got confirmation recently that yes, its on this year! Hard Times Bluegrass Festival near Hamilton, Montana.

I've never been before, but all other festivals in the NW have been cancelled into...
  23. Thread: Know You Rider

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Re: Know You Rider

Thanks. I really enjoyed that. Here's "Rider," clearly a blues song with a bluegrass accent, with some mighty mandolin playing.
    If the links don't work, search YouTube for "The Seldom Scene 1979 -...
  24. Re: What's the origin/lyrics of this song: All Around the Mountai

It sure sounds traditional, and the group's description from the Missouri Arts Council website says,"The Ill-Mo Boys are devoted fans of early country music from the 'Golden Age' of recording (ca....
  25. Thread: Pick advice?

by LadysSolo
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick advice?

I agree with DavidKos, I really can't stand rounded picks - my first mando picks were Golden Gates, and I hated them, so I pulled one of my old guitar picks and it was better, so I started...
Page 1 of 2 1 2