Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: playing late and drinking

After not touching a drop for about 6 months I had my first glass of red wine while sitting in with some friends at a local steak house. I immediately felt the buzz, and struggled with timing which...
  2. Re: The Beatles: In My Life (solo mandolin instrumental)

Hey Colin, Just want to say thanks for all the really nice work you do. Any day I start out by listening to one of your tunes is a good one.
    Jim
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Question About Carry-On Instruments

Journeybear, you mentioned you have never heard of a flight with no carryon. The ticket was called "basic economy" which turns out to be different from "economy". You have to read the print...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Question About Carry-On Instruments

Flew across country last week. If you haven't flown for a while, read your ticket info carefully. My so-called "economy" ticket said no carry on allowed. I have never had a problem putting the mando...
  5. Replies
    Views

Tuner Visibility Shootout at High Noon

After the recent thread about what tuners are most readable in full sun I went out and bought a Peterson Strobe. It cost $60. from an online music dealer with a good reputation whose name might ...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: how to back up a finger pickin' guitar player?

My work is mainly duos with a guitar player. When they are finger picking my main goal is to listen and not get in the way of what they are doing. As Dave mentioned open chords, simple runs, or...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Alan Niederland

Thanks for sharing this. I will pass it on to his widow.
  8. Thread: Pickamania 2023

by JimKo
    Replies
    Views

Pickamania 2023

Just got back from Pickamania 2023 which was held in the small old mining town of Kingston, NM. This years festival was dedicated to luthier and Pickamania founder Bill Bussmann. Bill was an...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: New Project (pics)

Mark, Glad to hear it went well and I know you and your son are going to keep on killing it. I gig with my son every chance I get and it is always an honor and a treat. Good luck with future jobs. ...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Your advice for playing a concert

Charlie, Lots of good advice above. I would just add, be yourself. Nothing turns folks off quicker than someone who suddenly becomes "country" or "cowboy" when they hit the stage. If you are not a...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Alan Niederland Memorial Mandolin Give Away

Just wanted to update the memorial mandolin situation. Heard from a bunch of deserving folks and wish I was in a situation where I could donate a handful of mandolins to worthy people.
    There was one...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing with too much tension.

Lots of good stuff here. Thanks for all the ideas. Have been putting some of them to use while practicing the past few days. Real test is this afternoon at a gig. Looking forward to that. One point...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing with too much tension.

David, Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I will try an put some of the suggestions into practice. Playing a recently set up Kimble 2 point with a large triangle Primetone pick that I have slightly...
  14. Replies
    Views

Playing with too much tension.

I have been aware lately of how much physically tension I have when playing, especially faster songs, or when playing with really good people. Obviously, this limits smooth playing and even causes...
  15. Replies
    Views

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, looking looking to the Café members for help finding a deserving person. If you know someone to nominate , please contact me. Don't be shy. A choice will...
  16. Replies
    Views

Good stories Joe. I sure hope folks these days have that much fun.
    If remember correctly, we met when you drove by Alan's and my apartment and we saw a "Martin Guitars: Finger Picking Good" bumper...
  17. Replies
    Views

[QUOTE=Kenny;1902098]A Ratliff A model is going to kickstart somebody nicely! Audey Ratliff builds mighty nice mandolins.
    Agree with Kenny about Ratliff mandolins being "might nice" but want to add...
  18. Replies
    Views

Alan Niederland Memorial Mandolin Give Away

I have decided to give away one of my mandolins in honor of my friend Alan Niederland. Many of us have been touched by his generous nature. Personally, in addition to much music, Alan introduced me...
  19. Replies
    Views

I can answer a couple of the Tucson questions. The Barn Dances at the Splinter Bro. Warehouse were the absolute center of our entertainment world. I don't believe we missed too many of those. They...
  20. Replies
    Views

Wanted to take a day to think about my old pal Alan before I wrote this.
    Alan and i were friends before either of us played music. We were going to school, back east, in Saratoga Springs, NY ...
  21. Replies
    Views

Will probably post more later but right now in total shock. Condolences to his family.
    Alan and I were roommates and closer than brothers back in the college days. We moved across country together, ...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: What PA gear brands do you favor?

Charlie, Slight correction. We are running the Bose L1 not the S1. No stand needed. Very clear vocals. Only slight complaint is that we had to pay extra for a cover which should have definitely...
  23. Replies
    Views

Charlie, the S1 is what I have. So far it has handled everything we have thrown at it from small Café rooms to a decent sized outdoor courtyard. We always seem to have plenty of headroom.
  24. Replies
    Views

Very happy with the Bose system with the Tonematch. We run a local 2 or 3 piece acoustic through it every week and it sounds clear and clean. A few "pros" have used it and really liked it too....
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Help Identifying photo in Ian Tyson Video

OK, I will answer my own question in case anyone was interested. Looks like it came from Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration Of Vail site...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4