Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Thanks for this note. I feel the person running the jam can do what they please and players can take it or leave it. If it ain't fun for whatever reason, the jam will eventually die. I think WW is a...
  2. Thread: RIP Frank Ford

by tuhker
    Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Frank Ford

Here's a link to some wonderful memories friends and colleagues shared. https://www.kudoboard.com/boards/ooJ0ixB0
  3. Thread: RIP Frank Ford

by tuhker
    Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Frank Ford

Loved this guy; so intelligent, friendly, and funny. I had the pleasure of working with him to oversee some work on my A4 and he shared the history of the old Gibson's as only he could do. It was...
  4. Thread: Pick Depth

by tuhker
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Depth

I've logged many hours with this "Tremolo Technique and Exercises" and as Sharon says, it originally came from Caterina Lichtenberg and is designed as a right hand exercise to minimize pick stroke to...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: 5ths tuned chord progression source?

You might want to check out the excellent book by Ted Eschliman Getting into Jazz Mandolin and the FFcP discipline discussed on this cafe thread. As a matter of fact, I think I should revisit that...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about pinky use...

Mr Thile advocates practicing only using the 3rd and 4th fingers. I imagine a few days/weeks of that would help the little guy :)
  7. Replies
    Views

John Reischman Interview Part 2

Hey All,

I just wanted to share this recent interview I did with John Reischman where he talks about his early days and a lot about playing with Tony Rice. I hope you enjoy it.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Original Mandolin Tunes

i like the tempo of After Breakfast as is Dave. Lost Feather started out sounding a motown tune (I've got Sunshine). good stuff.
  9. Re: Mandolin Album Release by Dave Berry & Friends

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for the note. Yes, I enjoyed pickin with you and your family at SPGMA and I also recall you being on Artistworks at the same time as I . You certainly are sounding great. Congrats...
  10. Mandolin Album Release by Dave Berry & Friends

Hello Mando Friends,

I've been meaning to post this here to announce the release of my Covid lockdown project where I recorded 10 original fiddle tunes across different genres with a bunch of...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Brought home a Buckeye!

Glad that you continue to enjoy this. Let me know if you ever venture to Northern Cal. Pete is a great guy. Btw, he title of this thread "Brought home a Buckeye!" reminds me of what my New York wife...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin solo gigs with backing tracks?

It's a good question. I think it depends on the venue. I've been known to play outside at the local cafe with a Bluetooth speaker and people like and don't notice at all. I even use Strum Machine...
  13. Replies
    Views

New John Reischman Interview

This has been in the works for a while and I'm very happy to get it out there to help promote John's work. Thanks to him for his time and inspiration.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Ordering my first mandolin-Kentucky KM156

Congrats on the purchase. The A-style is a great way to go. I'd suggest setting a goal of playing it until you know you need an upgrade to a better A-style :)
  15. Thread: A.J. Lee

by tuhker
    Replies
    Views

Re: A.J. Lee

What a sweet version of that tune. I'm guessing Neil would be proud. I had the privilege of doing the interview below with AJ, the jewel of Northern Cal, which some may find of interest.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking at an early Kimble

My 2007 A model #122 rocks. When I bought it on consignment, I sent him an email and he responded quickly giving me the skinny on it.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Essential David Grisman

Thanks for this Paul, well done.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in the Movies

Ry Cooder plays mandolin on this wonderful version of Senaca Square Dance from the movie Long Riders.

https://youtu.be/XLuOVE5DRUQ
  19. Thread: Happy Hanukkah!

by tuhker
    Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Hanukkah!

Happy Hanukah all though the final candle burned last night. Here's the fams favorite Hanukah song featuring the great Fred Sokolow on mandolin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ8_lljhgAo
  20. Re: Mandolin > K&K Twin Internal > Grace Bix - Help please

Hi Ron, I don't know a lot about the electronics but I have one and the Baggs which is fine for playing in a bar, cafe or other noisy environmont but direct is much cleaner as is of course a good...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: If You Use MuseScore

Press F10 to get to the mixer and select whatever instrument you want. My experience is if you set the instrument to the mandolin at the beginning or use the mandolin template I think somebody...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: A style Kimble, Heiden or ...

I cant say enough about my Kimble A5 #122. It gets as much playing time as the Gil A3 #539 which is saying a lot. The Heiden's I have played feel like butter in my hands but to my ears don't project...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: MuseScore software

I love it. I used to use TableEdit, never used Sibelius but I now chart all sort of things in MuseScore from originals to transcriptions of traditional favs. It great for doing harmonies as well. I...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Players in Los Angeles

my apologies, I didn't read the q very well thinking it was asking for an instructor, something that is happening way to often these days.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of your Gilchrist

I'm curious what exactly it is you want to see? Can you post a pic of yours?

http://www.gilchristmandolins.com/539
Page 1 of 2 1 2