Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Dagger Gordon video

I quite often do some practise when I'm finishing my breakfast. This is a Scottish jig called The Lads O' Dunse, played on my powerful wee Collings mandolin.

2. University of Rhode Island Course in Mandolin Excellence

Worth viewing, a major classical mandolin event in this country.
  3. Roger just told us the book is going to the...

Roger just told us the book is going to the printer this week! Can't wait to read this one.
  4. Re: Tapastring vintage Jack and internal K&K pickup

I have used the Tapastring several times, always with K&K pickups. If you can solder you can easily change from 1/4" to the Tapastring. If you don't solder much do some practicing. I gig with mine...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard A4 build thread.

Getting closer! Going with Rubner RMP tuners. Still deciding on color. Should be here sometime this summer.
  6. Replies
    Views

Girouard quartet - phase 1

For all you followers of Girouard mandolins and their excellent instruments. I am sharing this photo. I have a quartet on order not only of the same style but the exact same woods. By "exact" I...
  7. Replies
    Views

Irish music collection project

I should probably start this thread with an apology in advance for the hours of your life you will never get back. But I won't apologise for the meandering journey of fascinatinon and distractions...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Sean Casey on mandolin

When he didnt have a care in the world
  9. Replies
    Views

Dagger Gordon CDs

I have finally got round to getting my old recordings on Bandcamp. You can hear/buy my albums Highland Mandolin and The Frozen River, plus my CD with my son Colin - Like Father/ Like Son.

I'm...
  10. Re: Fifteenth Anniversary of the Death of Charlie Derrington

More for anyone interested. Includes the video below and how it came to be in our sole possession.
  11. NMD Ellis A4 Deluxe with Hummingbird inlay.

I received my Ellis A4 Deluxe with the Hummingbird inlay yesterday and it is beautiful, a piece of art really. So well done. These pictures do not do it justice, I am not a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Alison Stephens: Con Espressione availability

I'm still having some conversations with diverse industry players on this. I'll share word as there's more, but for now, note this new word (and emboldened paragraphs) from Astute Music:
  13. Replies
    Views

impulse purchase - non-mando

Not sure why I did this but made a low-ball bid on Reverb and now I have a bass. I didn't consider how much space this contraption takes up. Anyway, ordered a beginners bluegrass bass book and...
  14. Joining the Girouard Club with an F Oval hole

I exchanged emails with Max and have sent a deposit to have him build me one of his Girouard F Concert Master mandolins with an oval hole. It will feature complete binding in triple bound, Waverly...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: What's the real difference?

I appreciate the question. I remember when I started to play banjo, I had an inexpensive banjo and really didn't know how good or bad it was. What I did know was this: more expensive banjos in stores...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Stolen Mandolin

Great news! The mandolin is back home! A guy called me asking about it. Said he bought it at an estate sale. Turns out he was involved in the crime. Just glad it was a happy ending. Made my week for...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: James Tailpiece Review

There is a product called Nevr-dull that will clean up the tarnish on the Gibson tailpiece covers. It's available at most large home stores and on Amazon.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Celtic Mandolin Builders

Thanks a million to everyone that has contributed to this thread. It was a wonderful learning experience! After much consideration I decided to order a flattop from Lawrence Nyberg. He has a...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish tenor banjo

Actually, I prefer the 17 fret, shorter scale. I have found that there are a lot of great banjos being made by people you have never even heard of, and probably never will. But many of them will...
  20. Replies
    Views

A new classical mandolin

Just strung up this morning, a classical mandolin, for want of a better term. 13" scale, with a body inspired by a carved top Italian mandolin I found a photo of years ago. The soundboard is Sitka,...
  21. Amazing video of Josh Luttrell finishing an Ellis

Thought we could all use some soothing relaxing video to watch today.
  22. Re: Your thoughts on Ellis A4s and other modern, upper tier ovals

Here she is. Love it love it love it!

https://youtu.be/FNcmjk3QsY8
  23. Re: Your thoughts on Ellis A4s and other modern, upper tier ovals

Yes, mine is a port orford cedar top with a transverse brace!
  24. Re: We have a 3-way race: Collings vs Pava vs Gilchrist

Jordan was super helpful and sent me sound files of all three instruments. All there very distinctive and pleasant. The Pava sounded complex. The Collings was shimmery in a nice way. But the winner...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: 2020 NAMM Show Report

I'm working for Glasser now, and we are also the importer of Larsen Strings. This is something Glasser has in development.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4