Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Need Clarification: Jethro Burn's three string chord style

The word "inversion" refers to which chord note is in the bass, which includes all of the instruments playing. Since mandolin is rarely the lowest instrument playing, "inversion" doesn't really...
  2. Re: Need Clarification: Jethro Burn's three string chord style

Don's only referring to basic inversions, re piano, but they're fundamental too in every stringed instrument I've played. There are only twelve (maj, min, 7th, dim) to remember - from there you can...
  3. Re: Need Clarification: Jethro Burn's three string chord style

I have pondered this question many times. This is what I have come up with. The traditional naming method of root position, first inversion, second inversion comes from the world of piano. The method...
  4. Re: Road To Lisdoonvarna: Strumming patterns???

DUD DUD, the 8th notes are grouped in 3s with the beat on the first 8th note. You don't have to strum ever 8th note, miss some out but stick to this patern. This works for picking the melody as well.
  5. Re: What's first position, second position , third position??

Having small hands, I've always found the "each finger covers 2 frets" rule a bit rigid. At least when there's not a lot of chromatics involved I think diatonically, "next note, next finger". E.g.,...
  6. Re: What's first position, second position , third position??

One of my online teachers, my hero in a sense, is Pebber Brown. Here is an hour long video covering some of the things mentioned here using guitar, but it works for mandolin.

7. Re: What's first position, second position , third position??

Right. Another way to look at it: in any position, you have approximately 2 octaves of chromatic notes.
    Choose the right combination of notes and you can play hundreds of scales in every key....
  8. Re: What's first position, second position , third position??

Scales are best thought of as an alphabet, not a melody. The notes that are "in the scale" are all those that would be found, no matter where you began. All the white keys on a piano are in the scale...
  9. Re: What's first position, second position , third position??

No, not the way I use position thinking. I play in third position a bit and it just means that is where your hand is. Every scale just about can be played in every position. The position just...
  10. Re: What's first position, second position , third position??

"First position" means that the index finger is positioned to play the first two frets, not that the tonic of the scale is played by the index finger. A first position C scale starts with your third...
  11. Re: What's first position, second position , third position??

That would be incorrect, indie, because you do not have to play the first note of the scale with the index finger.
  12. Re: What's first position, second position , third position??

I think it is typical for mandolinners to use the position numbering system used by violinists.

First position is where you start. First finger (index finger) covers first two frets etc, as stated...
  13. Re: What's first position, second position , third position??

Haven't watched all those videos, but I'll take a stab.

Typical hand & finger position on mandolin is: use each finger to cover two frets. So, "1st position" means your hand is in position for the...
  14. Re: Queries :Ted Eschliman's Four-Finger Closed Position

These are scale exercises. Yes they have patterns and intervals. The purpose is to make you better ;)

Home is the basic major scale played in sequence. Ex. C D E F G A B C

Thirds is playing...
  15. Re: Queries :Ted Eschliman's Four-Finger Closed Position

Indie, The are exercises to increae your familiarity with the fretboard in closed positions. Home is a straight scale. Thirds and fourths are scales in Intervals. The chord names are arpeggios of the...
  16. Re: How to find chords/chord progression for a self composed song

Sorry -- I made a small error. That should be an A major, not an A minor, for the V-chord in a Dm harmonic minor, harmonized scale. Here it is, corrected:
  17. Re: How to find chords/chord progression for a self composed song

I agree that it does not require high level theory, but it might require some "high-level" (executive) choices, because MORE THAN ONE chord may well fit in various places. For example, a relative...
  18. Re: How to find chords/chord progression for a self composed song

Hello,

This is the basic process I use to harmonise a melody, regardless of the style:

Your scale is D minor harmonic, so first play a Dm chord all along the melody.
    Listen to how it sound....
  19. Re: How to find chords/chord progression for a self composed song

Indie, how do you arrive at the conclusion that it is "D"?

The Indian solfege is "Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Dha Ni Sa". This uses movable Do system, so Sa is not always C! Sa can be D, E, F etc based on...
  20. Re: How to find chords/chord progression for a self composed song

Indie, from what I have been reading from you in your various postings here on the forum I get the impression that you are maybe working outside the parameters of our more popular musical genres,...
  21. Re: How to find chords/chord progression for a self composed song

I believe that is the D harmonic minor scale.

I just googled D Harmonic minor scale chords and got this...

These last 2 questions are going to be difficult for anyone to answer...
  22. Re: Need advice-planing to buy my first Mandolin

http://www.jjb-electronics.com/ makes excellent piezo pickups. I personally use the Marcato system for the easy install, but they offer other/cheaper options as well.

When it comes down to it,...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Flop Eared Mule - How to read sheet music

Here is the mandolessons take on basic drumming. Try whatever sounds good.

http://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/beginner-series/basic-strumming-patterns
  24. Replies
    Views

In addition - with bluegrass the chord shapes are pretty specific, in order to allow a full four string muting when you do your chop. In old time lots of options, including two finger chords with...
  25. Replies
    Views

Well... uhmm... err... no, not really!! The reason is that what I described, being hopefully educational, isn't exactly kosher mandolin technique. The back-beat "chop" part IS standard mandolin...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4