Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Successful CBOM conversion: an Irish Cittern Guitar?

After cycling through owning and playing a number of different large mandolin family instruments throughout the years, I’ve stumbled upon a configuration that feels to me like a surprisingly good...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Left hand technique

Well, I do respect your opinion.

I also seriously disagree with that approach to mandolin education.

The Bickford method is only 100 pages; yet is has a great deal of practical information on...
  3. Replies
    Views

What do you think of this?

Interesting mandolin from across the Pond - Blacksmith Folk Rock Band

https://youtu.be/MztPoWJyhIA
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Blind Mandolin Players ?

Yup. revisiting an old thread...

Today, I found myself a bit out of synch when reading a post about what I later found out was a reference to an Ellis mandolin. I think there might have been a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Hello from New Member!

Hello all! I have been lurking here for a couple weeks and finally registered. I am very new to playing an instrument and I picked up a Gold Tone OM-800+ from Elderly, since they do setups on their...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Time to finish again

If you have access to spray equipment, spraying a few sealer coats of shellac is the way to go.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave mandolin and pinky issue

I have a fair amount of reach, but it really has taken quite a while. You can try FFcP practices or practice rapid hand movements to change position. Check out some of the Greek bouzouki players on...
  8. Replies
    Views

Excellent video on chord tone improv.

Its in Eb but the concepts are very clearly explained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-KzfB7vfFA&t=544s
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Dorian Pentatonic Scale (1 2 m3 5 M6 ) JAPANESE PENTATONICS

I need to clarify re: Japanese Pentatonics. 1-2-m3-5-M6 is DORIAN pentatonic, but not "Kumoi"

Hirajoshi, Japanese minor pentatonic (1) is:
    R-2-m3-5-m6. Rooted on D: D E F A Bb

The other...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin goes sharp between sessions?

My Carbon Fiber Mix A5, is not exhibiting that issue , :whistling: FWIW..
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Dorian Pentatonic Scale (1 2 m3 5 M6 )

Thanx, Niles.
    As a supplement video, check out Guitarist, Jens Larson’s Coltrane patterns from a couple of years ago. I think he did an update recently. All powerful ideas.
    Joe B
  12. Replies
    Views

Dorian Pentatonic Scale (1 2 m3 5 M6 )

This promotional video showed up in my FB feed.... Demonstration of Dorian pentatonic as used by John Coltrane. 1 2 m3 5 M6 (Sorry for the typo the thread title.) Moderator note: typo fixed

(The...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Curious about mandola nomenclature

I assume you were the victim of autocorrect above and meant mandocello (sometimes archaically called mandoloncello). Scale for that is generally 24" (Gibson) to 25.5" (more or less) and tuned one...
  14. Thread: A Tone I Like

by CBFrench
    Replies
    Views

A Tone I Like

I really like the tone from my mandolin playing with my thumb and index finger. I probably play using this combination around the house here more than with a pick. I keep a few picks within reach but...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: I Hate Playing Chords

The mandolin is an ocean, with infinite pathways traversing its surface. You don't need to learn them all. You only need to learn how to get to where you want to get to, and how to get either back...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Stop Me Before I 'Dola 'Gain!

Dude. You still don't have every day of the week covered, and you have one doing double duty - that means you have room for 3 more, right? You could start a Mandola of the Day social group. Also,...
  17. Thread: technique

by DavidKOS
    Replies
    Views

Re: technique

Quite true!

I certainly agre that lack of technique definitely limits expression on a musical instrument.

Technique is a means to a musical end.
  18. Thread: technique

by OldSausage
    Replies
    Views

This is a fight with a straw man. The virtuoso said that technique comes before expression, he didn't say technique guarantees expression.
  19. Thread: technique

by Bill McCall
    Replies
    Views

You can never have too much technique. You can easily be short of good taste.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for exotic scales for Mandola

Here’s a scale reference page, there’s an audio file for each one.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_scales_and_modes
    It can be good to get a teacher though, at least to show you how...
  21. Replies
    Views

Mandocello Envy

It's no secret that I've had the malady, however I also knew that a true mandocello was out of the range of my physical capabilities. I've also had the desire to play fingerstyle for some time,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Sawchyn Beavertail Mandola

The mandola was in CGDA. If I was to play that tune at a session, I would put a capo at the second fret to get the proper key ( D Mixolydian?).
  23. Complete Bach 1st Cello Suite - ukulele in 5ths tuning

I strung my uke like a CGDA mandola, but the strings were too tight, so I tuned down a tone. Fun to play.

https://youtu.be/RmGrb-ulNMY
  24. Thread: ToneRite Issues

by Stop
    Replies
    Views

Re: ToneRite Issues

My impression( loose or not..) any vibration artificial or actual play will aid the development of tone. Many use them when they are not playing.
  25. Out of solidarity we will observe Blackout Tuesday

Since inception this site has attempted to serve as an oasis, a respite from the rest of the world, a place to relax, let down and get away from a lot of complicated news, hot button topics, and many...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4