Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Using a dummy coil with Piezo

I built a little circuit with a transistor etc, that is powered from a 9v battery. Although it is an amplifier circuit it doesn’t increase the volume but matches the impedance.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Chambered body, electric mandolin

Well deserved, a fantastic looking instrument.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: You gotta see this ...

I doubt that the plastic is taking any load. Think cigar box guitar, ie the neck takes the load but you can’t see it for the box.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Chambered body, electric mandolin

I am really enjoying your videos. I am building something similar. Not quite as complicated though. I wish I had thought of the centre section cutting out and gluing. I did a lot of drilling and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: J.L. Smith still building!

Happy Christmas and a prosperous new year to you too sir.

When you get your page sorted, feel free to post on my page. I don’t have that many followers or whatever they are called. But if it gets...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Does anyone have a PDF of E-Mando plans??

This is the last one I built, solid body with a piezo in the bridge and the magnetic pickup.
    My first the SG five string I used a guitar building book for reference it is effectively a...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Hand Lotion and Strings

I work in infection control specifically fitting the machines that clean and sterilise surgical instruments. As a result I have been using hand sanitisers for years and some of the hospital soaps are...
  8. Thread: Hybrid electric

by sonic
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hybrid electric

If you mean the gain switch in the buffer schematic. It’s a little din switch in some or those pegs with a little bridge you see in computers.
    I didn’t bother. You have two resistors at the start...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Ready built electric mandolin necks?

I have built mine with a two way truss rod, I haven’t had to make use of them once fitted. But the ability to straighten the neck should I have to is worth the time etc to fit one.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Ready built electric mandolin necks?

I can’t help with a supplier. I made my own as I didn’t find anything for sale here (UK) either.
    As far as paying for someone to to cut the fretboard I found this...
  11. Thread: Hybrid electric

by sonic
    Replies
    Views

Sounds like you are having fun. The nut can be fettled with super glue and baking soda iirc a search of YouTube etc will show you how.
    As for the FET’s I read about getting them matched and or...
  12. Thread: Hybrid electric

by sonic
    Replies
    Views

I have standard push pull pots bought from the bay of evil. Not sure on exact dimensions but an inch or so sounds about right. I had a little trouble with depth in that my cavity cover is carved...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Electric Mandolin Build Help?

My experience with electric mandolin started nearly 30 years ago. A band I was watching at a local pup used one on a couple of songs. I was hooked, but couldn’t find one to buy. I bought an acoustic...
  14. Thread: Hybrid electric

by sonic
    Replies
    Views

I have recently built this 186901
    It has magnetic and piezo pickups. The piezo is in the bridge and has a FET buffer built into the body. I run it off a 9v battery. But it can be made to run off...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Yes I am in the UK. You are correct it is Acer pseudoplatanus. Although most of what comes through our joiners shop is not that well figured. I claimed some table legs, mainly because my Father only...
  16. Replies
    Views

They’re the screw holes for individual tuners. As opposed to four on a plate one’s. This is going to be my own instrument, I am building an almost identical one with regard to shape and pickups etc...
  17. Replies
    Views

Sycamore neck for my solid body eight string mandolin.
    Ash carved top chambered but no sound holes. Trying to limit feedback in a small gig type environment. A few local bands use...
  18. Replies
    Views

Finally making some progress
  19. Thread: Whatcha up to?

by sonic
    Replies
    Views

Re: Whatcha up to?

You can try using an emulator. I have one that runs software that works on windows 95 or something like that. But not on Windows 10. It is like a computer within a computer. Maybe there’s something...
  20. Re: Replacement pickups for Vorson electric uke to mando conversi

Have you checked if the Almuse pickups match size wise. They are a common replacement as well as used by many builders. Specifically designed to avoid the weak string problems.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Maggie May - tutorial

I am a not going to claim to be the most accomplished player. But I can get my fingers cleanly quite a few chord shapes easily enough. However my fingers didn’t want to bend that way. I have no doubt...
  22. Replies
    Views

There’s no need for an apology. If you don’t ask you won’t learn. I have just tried the fingering in the attached photo. I don’t think I could get it at a reasonable speed. Not without a lot more...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: New to me JL Smith 5 string

My 20” five string has iirc a 74w on the C string I bought an eighth string electric guitar set Ernie Ball slinky’s. It was the only way I could find a string that gauge. Tension is ok but I am not...
  24. Replies
    Views

Ok I am not exactly an expert myself but I have learned a few chord shapes that suit my ability.
    I play it with my first finger on the G second finger across both d and a strings. You can use your...
  25. Re: Beginner Seeking Advice - Guitar or Octave Mandolin?

I have an Octave Mandolin it’s a five string electric with 20” scale. I also have a few guitars but only one of them is in standard tuning. Personally I thought I would struggle with Guitar as...
Page 1 of 2 1 2