Search:

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Oldest L-5! Lloyd Loar Signature!Analysis

This is a fantastic analysis of a recently discovered L-5 which turned out to be the oldest known example! It was signed on February 28th 1923 and was in remarkable shape- just a 1940s tailpiece and...
  2. Current state of the art flat top mandolin

This is my latest 4th generation flat top mandolin. This is the culmination of 12 years of work improving the sound of the flat top mandolin. It all started from the fact that it is possible to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Demonstrating a mandolin

Interesting discussion.

When I’ve sold instruments, I’ve often played strings up each fret, as well as playing some licks and snippets of tunes. Thanks to GMorgan’s post, should I sell one in the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Nice one Don. Not sure if you're aware that video shows up as unlisted.
  5. Replies
    Views

The young lady who did the latest Klos CF review did a nice job with her demonstration, and I agree that her type of approach tells you more about an instrument than someone tearing it up who I’ll...
  6. Replies
    Views

I would like to add to this demo discussion. When an individual or a shop is comparing two instruments, such as an Eastman next to a Kentucky, or an f-hole mandolin next to an oval hole, please...
  7. Replies
    Views

Here's what I do when I make a video to sell a mando: open strings, open chords, a slow doublestop harmonized scale on each pair of strings, a tune that uses all the strings--not played too fast, a...
  8. Replies
    Views

I agree 100%. There is one individual, regularly on Cafe Classifieds, youtube etc who wants to show the speed he can play and he is not alone. Total waste of the demo . We want to hear VOLUME and...
  9. Replies
    Views

They want you to imagine yourself playing awesome stuff on their mandolin. It’s the same reason commercials for SUVs show the car riding in rugged, cool, off-road places instead of the driver go to...
  10. Replies
    Views

This is a good suggestion that I really never thought of... I'm going to bring this up next filming.
  11. Replies
    Views

Slow rhythmic flowing scales too.
    And slow, two string jumping, descending arpeggios with feeling and strong mature passion.
    Think Russian (or Ukrainian) and Italian music schools.

-or Sierra...
  12. Replies
    Views

I think some of both is good - first play some open strings, single notes, open chords, and closed chords. Then play a fiddle tune to see what it sounds like in more context.
  13. Replies
    Views

They think they're selling themselves rather than the instrument.

Back when dirt was new, my classical guitar teacher illustrated the resonance of instruments by playing the open strings in...
  14. Replies
    Views

I know what you mean. Most any demo will be someone blazing away at the same old fiddle tunes or Bluegrass licks. I hardly watch demos anymore because of this.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Grommets vs damper on tailpiece

Yeah and you wanna know why I've never done it? I don't know. It's one of those things you put off for weeks or even months (or years) But, finally, you do it in 5 minutes but still don't learn...
  16. Replies
    Views

My engraving process

Hi everyone,

It looks like I joined back in 2016 but never posted.

I recently discovered the baroque mandolino and it’s fascinating music, so I have been lurking around here recently. I don’t...
  17. Browns Ferry Blues-posted today, loaded with living icons

goodness, everybody on this are top shelf. Sam Bush playing mandolin and bass, quick glimpse of him holding a blonde mando(does he have a new axe?), Bela, Tony T, Michael on fiddle and as always is a...
  18. Nice solo arrangement Sunny Side of the Street

https://youtu.be/EnLgww2w79c?si=1K9ZSMeVnoy9ymNE
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Gretsch American Clarophone Banjolin

Thanks to you Pops for the recommendation a few years ago.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday, Mandolin Cafe!

Dangit, it snuck up on me again this year. Ah for the sound of the blazing 14.4K modem and the computer that might have had 32 MB of RAM, though I doubt it did.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Just finished up these 2 jazz models built in a violin style.210347210348210349210350210351210352
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: 1930-31 National Duolian with neck issues

Pops1, Interestingly enough, I tried what you suggested, and added in a temp. 12th fret and strung up 2 strings to check intonation. Amazingly enough, I had to slide the board farther BACK UP the...
  23. Thread: Tommy and Sierra

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Tommy and Sierra

Tommy seems to be on a mandolinist collaboration thing lately. This is nothing but beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlEbEBId9CQ
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin mandolin hardshell case

I understand this conversation fizzled out earlier this year, but I would very much be interested if this ever comes around to being. The case I was using I have just discovered is infested with...
  25. Replies
    Views

Useful tool from elsewhere

For getting at some things where a clamp won’t work, I had been looking for a tiny version of a ‘lab jack’, that is a scissor jack, and of course SM sells one that costs far more than my first car. ...
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4