Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

I'm reminded of some observations made by Mike about Monroe’s playing that I found very insightful .. and by extension relate toMike’s playing as well…

(from interviews w/ Mike )

“The Monroe...
  2. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

This thread captures what I love about the mandolin: hearing it, playing it, and exploring all of the ways it can sound. The first time I remember hearing a mandolin was hearing Adam Steffey when I...
  3. Billy Strings and Christopher Henry - Midnight on the Stormy Deep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_aqhiV2V8w
  4. Red Wing: Creativity with Constraints Improv Exercise

I thought folks on this board might be interested in this video I made of the classic western swing fiddle tune Red Wing. I like exercises that force you to be creative within specific parameters - I...
  5. Mandolin Mondays #422 w/ Special Guest Jesse Appelman

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by California mandolinist Jesse Appelman and his 2007 Nugget A5 for a moving rendition of the Hank...

Read this blog entry...

This entry posted in...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

I recently got the new Crossrock Carbon Fiber shaped case and my Gibson F5, Flairon F5 and Hansen F5 fit very nicely in there........and it comes with a padded case cover!! Super value in the $650...
  7. Replies
    Views

In my case (no pun intended) the foam on the fingerboard is right above the neck support, so while the neck gets squeezed a little, it doesn't get bent. The foam above the strings is pretty well...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Budget Mandolin? Advice.

The best budget mandolin comes from a shop that will do a proper set up so you don't have to spend almost the purchase price again on a quality set up.

I am a fan of inexpensive mandolins for...
  9. Replies
    Views

I concur that Crossrock is the case of choice based on the design; the compact, lightweight features; the excellent latches; a reasonable price; and the protection for most circumstances. I happen...
  10. Replies
    Views

I have a TKL case that was real tight at first. But the mandolin now is snug as a bug in a rug. I could even put a tonegard on it and close it.
  11. Replies
    Views

I now have the "new and improved" version, and had the same concerns re: the padding above the fingerboard and tailpiece. That only lasted a short while, the padding settled in, and now the case...
  12. Nice solo arrangement Sunny Side of the Street

https://youtu.be/EnLgww2w79c?si=1K9ZSMeVnoy9ymNE
  13. New Hoffee case in comparison to the new/older Calton cases

Picked up this beautiful burgandy/Gold interior Hoffee from Vernie at Bluegrass Mandolins(he has listings in the mandolin accessories classifieds). I have also purchased a very cool brown/splatter...
  14. Replies
    Views

The only beef I have so far is that the rubber bumpers on the lower bout of the case are not as tall as the hinge that is between them. So if you set the thing down, it's going to rest on one of the...
  15. Replies
    Views

I got on of these new ones and had to send it back. The headstock was not centered and the longest tuner was digging into the side pads. The inner lining came loose and unglued near the neck heal...
  16. Replies
    Views

There is no mark on the lid, so it does not appear to touch.
  17. Replies
    Views

I'll have to check that when I get back home. The lid has a pad that lands on the tailpiece, and another that lands on the neck/strings right above the groove the neck sits in, so the mandolin is...
  18. Replies
    Views

There is plenty of clearance. I am posting a few pics below, including one of the peghead. It's difficult to tell from the pic, but there's about 1/4" space on either side. More than it looks like in...
  19. Replies
    Views

Both my new F-style Crossrock and my Tone-Gard are due to arrive tomorrow. I fear the case may not fit my short-neck F4, so will probably be returned, but either way I will find out if it will...
  20. Replies
    Views

I ordered the new F-style case yesterday for the "new" 1919 F4 I picked up a week ago. According to measurements they provided via email, it should accommodate the short neck. I will report back once...
  21. Replies
    Views

I assume that is what I have. I bought it within the last couple of months. I use the extra foam pad, and both my Pava F5 and Paganoni fit great; tightly enough that I have to work the strap just...
  22. Re: Why not a domestic, hand built instrument instead?

Adrian is on record multiple times stating the reason those highly skilled, career luthiers work for Northfield is because when he was starting the company they were the same people he personally...
  23. Punch Brothers / Bele Fleck - Christmas Medley

Priceless

https://youtu.be/JdNm2Lxu-bw
  24. Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder: FULL jam session!

Lots of mando playing by Ricky, Andy Leftwich and Jared Finck
    on Cattle in the Cane, Big Mon, St Anne's Reel and Forked Deer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McFbo1MmiQE
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Airloom Tura carbon fiber mandolin case

For those of you that might be interested in seeing how the Northfield Tura DLX compares size wise to Calton attached are some photos for you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2