Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

Like I mentioned above I’m switching to the arbor tech gouges. They still make a mess but the finish is better and the fine dust is much much less. I loel tue kutzall as well but really appreciate...
  2. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

I have draw knive, scorp, and other such items and love them! I don’t have a froe but would like one.
  3. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

I was a kutzall fan but the dust they creat will go right to you lungs leaves an abraded surface where the Arbortech producers create chips. And they also make their power carving tool that is a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Would you ??

It is a really nice looking piece. Here is a small section wetted with alcohol.
  5. Re: The String Instrument Craftsman magazine (no mando content)

These are still in a folder on my desktop in the top right corner, every page is a great read! thanks again!
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Notes from the Condino vault

You write that book and I’m in! I’ll buy it in a heartbeat!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Woke with a chord question

Makes sense he is a Jazz Guy as well, the man helping get the tone center thing sorted in my head.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Woke with a chord question

I posted the same question on a guitar forum and one of the inmates is explaining to me he thinks of everything in the terms of tone centers. I’m still wrapping my head around that. It does however...
  9. Thread: Gal

by John Bertotti
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gal

I am excited! I got my first magazine! I’m not leaving my couch for the next couple hours and I like how the supplemental has all the advertisements and I will read that whole thing as well!

10. Re: Wrapping strings around tuners too many times restringing?

I only get more than a wrap when I mess up. I do a locking wrap wih the strong pulled up a bit and the hole for the tuner at an able from about 7-1 on one side and 11-5 on the other. I think it has...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Describe your MAS progression

Getting bit off topic, when I was a kid I was happy to have one of something. I didn't want or need more. Baseball cards and such excluded of course. Instruments, other items people tend to get gas...
  12. Replies
    Views

Funny, I remember the first mandolin I saw was in an old Gene or Roy movie. One of the cow hands was strumming on it.
  13. Replies
    Views

I just be the odd guy out my first was back in the very early 2000s. I don't remember exactly when. I bought a Vega bowl back from Jim Garber here. A few years later I ordered a Oval A from Old Wave....
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Finish Issues

I’m on my phone but in the last pic I see what looks like glue along the binging but when I blow up the pic there are a few tiny lighter spots kind of in the darker area is that what you mean @Hogo?...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Finish Issues

I lo e ray fleck and think it looks very cool! You guys are amazing with your knowledge!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: My latest build: An orpharion

How they heck is that thing tuned! Love the look!
  17. Re: Dry Tone what is it and what defines it?

I think or Dry as a strong fundamental with some fo the overtones that give ti depth, I perceive wet as a diminished fundaments with stronger overtone, I perceive woody as strong fundamental with...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Can anyone recommend a builder to me?

My instrument is an OldWave. An A style oval hole sounds amazing. I don’t know if he is still building but suspect he might be. Another worth checking out.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Moveable chords

I have long since learned that any question I ask here is going to generate replies that although may be helpful are just over my head so I always take what I can from them and revisit them again...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Standing issues

I don’t generally use a strap and practice standing without it when I do I noticed my arm rides lower on the mandolin. Almost straight across the tailpiece if not a little lower sometimes. I don’t...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Hold Issues

I think one of the biggest things I did like I mentioned above was tremolo. But I played with doing it slowly and trying to manipulate the pick while playing without stopping. I learned more from...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Moveable chords

Sorry. I have just played mostly melody and a few chords but now want to learn some so I was on this website. https://simplymandolin.com/moveable-mandolin-chords/
    scrolling down I was messing with...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Hold Issues

I wooodshedded tremolo with a variety of picks until I got better at luck holding and manipulation. Now I use Bluechip because they stay in place better for me. But any pick can work well. I’m no...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Pine, what a tone

As the OP I’ll third the Happy Birthday! December babies have to stick together!
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Cloth for varnish

In the end it was all about surface prep and slow even applications being patient to polish each layer as needed. It is a bit different with wood, surface prep is different etc but the build process...
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4