Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: FedEx — wow — can’t follow directions; fakes receipt signatur

Whether they are overloaded or not, that is no excuse for dishonesty.
    Report it to Fed-Ex. If they ignore you and you want to make a difference, you can go to the press.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: How to remember tunes?

For me, learning a tune by ear or visually seems to embed it in my brain much better than learning by tab.

When I started, I lived on MandoLessons, and learned a bunch of fiddle tunes. Baron...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: How to remember tunes?

Try practicing a few measures at a time without the music in front of you. Once you can play those measures without referring to the sheet music , add a few more until you can play the whole tune...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin recommendation for new player

I'll second (or third) the Eastman 305 rec. If you can't afford a new one, look for used. But the tonal difference between that and a sub 500 instrument is going to be major. 305 will carry you as...
  5. A4, A5, F4, F5--what do the numbers mean?

I'm clear on the difference between an A-style and an F-style mandolin. But I don't know the significance of the numbers that follow the letters. Please educate me.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: I don't like F styles. Anyone else?

I started a thread about F style mandolin ergonomics asking a somewhat similar question not that long ago and didn’t get many responses. Maybe most people don’t notice much of a difference? It was...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: mass produced instruments & size variations

I'm so happy I could cry.
    What I thought was a scratch in the picture might have just been a finger print or something - it's perfect - I am a cynic so when I saw the one I wanted for a price I...
  8. Re: Please help me choose a beginner instrument

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I am grateful for your thoughts on the matter. An Eastman 305 (used) is on its way to me. I am a happy camper.
  9. Re: Unexpected things/benefits about playing mandolin

I first saw my wife at a jam at Wintergrass that I got invited to as I was walking past the registration desk. Talk about unexpected! Can't be any better than that:)
  10. Re: mass produced instruments & size variations

I will reiterate what Bill says above. Buy from a reliable dealer who provides expert setup. You may pay less at some of the bigger venues like GC, Musician’s Friend or Amazon dealers but you will...
  11. Eliminating fret buzz on a couple of frets

I'm not adding this to the free e-book, but here's how I cleaned up a few buzzing frets on my mandolin. The aluminum sanding block, along with a crowning file, was under $20.
  12. Thread: Why Mandolin?

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Re: Why Mandolin?

My wife was trying to learn banjo. I already played guitar and a little bit of banjo. She was struggling. Her banjo instructor suggested she try mandolin. She tried it and liked it but needed...
  13. Re: Eastman MD604 with P/U - Very Excited - Where to start

Even though Mandolessons leans toward the traditional, focusing on fiddle tunes, it holds a great deal of helpful info on the fundamentals that I gleaned a great deal from. I do play BG primarily,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Online Mandolin Lesson suggestions

I have been doing the intermediate bluegrass class by sharon gilchrist on peghead nation. She also has an intro course. Not quite the same as a "live" tutor, but very good instruction and reasonable...
  15. Re: Happy Birthday Dennis Vance, hoping for a transplant

Happy birthday Dennis! We’re all pulling for you here at MC.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Best brand for upgrade

Oregon Jim I wasn't disagreeing with you, just stating that we are all different. That's probably why they make both
  17. Re: Michael Smith song: Spoon River. Anthology

https://youtu.be/HYlK-PYM_BA

So...this is how you get the video to show up in the post eh? Long time since I did any html.
  18. Replies
    Views

why do mandolins have carved top?

Possibly dumb question, but I've seen seen an explanation of this before. Why do some mandolin have a carved top? What is the benefit of a carved top over a flat top from a sound perspective?
  19. How I upgraded a cheapo mandolin with minimal modifications.

This is an update (if I recall correctly) to a post I once made about buying a cheapo manolin.

I made a random impulse purchase of a cheap ($299) "The Loar" F-5 at some point (over a year ago),...
  20. Replies
    Views

Good plan Tim, Eastmans are great, but so are Kentucky's ... I'm not a big fan of The Loar though. I would recommend Eastman or Kentucky over Loar. I was in a similar boat as you many years back and...
  21. Replies
    Views

Thanks for this thorough and thought out advice. I wasn’t familiar with the radiused fretboard vs. flat fretboard. I also play guitar and in the past I have mostly made decisions on feel and sound...
  22. Replies
    Views

Tim, I'd stick with Elderly over GC. Any upgraded mandolin you buy needs a set-up. You won't get that from GC, where it might be included or negotiable from Elderly.
  23. Replies
    Views

If I was presented with those options I'd be looking at the Eastman, Kentucky, and Loar and I'd be looking at the A style models.

Or, you could have a ham sandwich.
  24. What are your favorite albums featuring mandolin?

I have many that are amongst my favorites. The genre of music I most currently enjoy playing and listening to is 40’s and 50’s country & honkey tonk and I try to listen to all the great mandolin...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Chinese made mandolins (Northfield?)

I have wrestled with the ethics of this situation myself. Lots of mandolin players (even talented ones) simply can't afford the price of entry for a really good mandolin. A Collings MT-2 (what I'd...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4