Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

The Music Shoppe, Champaign, IL

I recently picked up a relative's guitar to take to him in the hospital and it needed new strings which I took along, but he had no picks. I googled "music store in Champaign" and The Music Shoppe...
  2. Re: Just had a sort of revelation about Northfield...

How cool?! Random reconnections like that are great! I bumped into the son of two of my parents' oldest friends at a national autocross race in Kansas once. We hadn't seen each other since we were...
  3. Re: Why do strings corrode in picking area, not fretting area?

Although BlueChip picks hardly wear, I find they discolor the wound strings in the area where I pick. Maybe it's that?
  4. Re: Gilchrist's D log mandolins, do I have one ?

I own one in this batch and asked Mr. Gilchrist why all the light Cremona bursts all of a sudden and this was his reply:

“I recall that whole batch was hard sugar maple that came from Wisconsin,...
  5. Re: Gilchrist's D log mandolins, do I have one ?

My mistake. You are correct. Regardless his page says yours is 1/4 sawn hard sugar maple with a red spruce top. It doesn’t have “D” in parenthesis which indicates D-Log. However, in my experience it...
  6. Re: Can anyone top this amount of Blue Chip pick wear?

I designed it into a rather insanely harsh application: insulators and clamps in a (semiconductor) plasma reactor. Very much unearthly conditions. Never saved the scrap, though. Used rather large...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Hamlett Two-Point Review

Hey man!

Thanks so much for asking. I’ve actually been meaning to post an update as there’s lots to tell. Above all else, I can say emphatically that the Hamlett Two-Point continues to delight.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Which back would you choose?

Happy gotcha day from me and #670. I've bought and sold a Monteleone Style B, a Heiden, and a Gil mod 3 and 670 isn't going anywhere!
  9. Replies
    Views

Check your assumptions at the door

Amazing what people can convince themselves that they are hearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n02tImce3AE

Steve
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Dang James, that's so beautiful and outside the box maybe it should be on the outside of the back!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Condino flux capacitor back bracing
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Arthur Stern

I was a fan of Mr. Stern. I always appreciated the time he took here and in private. His love of all things mandolin, glass, his panache, and his awesome Maine Coon Cats. My condolences to those...
  13. Replies
    Views

RIP Arthur Stern

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but Arthur was a friend to everyone in the mandolin world and a brilliant artist. He was a long time forum contributor and a fountain of knowledge and experience...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Hamlett Two-Point Review

Got to play it out today for the first time. I don’t usually sing a play solo mandolin, but the event was a reverential celebration of the 58th anniversary of the March on Washington. The tone is...
  15. Thread: Gilchrist

by AlanN
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist

I always liked Steve's answer: "The next one".
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: A Visit to Carter Vintage Guitars

a superb interview... one of the best thus far...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: A Visit to Carter Vintage Guitars

Walter Carter is the guest on this week's Mandolins and Beer Episode.
  18. Replies
    Views

Campanella Mandolin

I got a 2018 Campanella mandolin recently. It's basically an A-440, but with f-holes (shown on his website with an oval hole). I have owned a lot of mandolins, and played a lot more. This may be the...
  19. Re: Anyone Know where I can find a used Gilchrist

That price is surprising and I agree with the point of presenting the instrument. When I was considering (shudder at the thought) selling an instrument, my first course of action was to look at the...
  20. Re: Anyone Know where I can find a used Gilchrist

That Gilchrist at Greg Boyd is a stupidly good price. It's not moving because quite frankly, the store takes less than desirable pictures--there's no other way to say it. If that one was at The Music...
  21. Re: Anyone Know where I can find a used Gilchrist

And Women:)
  22. Re: What is the Difference between a $6,000 and $3,000 mandolin?

Well I have an answer I think you will get. On average most of the time a mandolin will cost about twice a guitar of comparable quality. There are exceptions but it is a good rule to avoid sticker...
  23. Re: Gilchrists and the "one exceptional American maple tree"

Steve tells me that my guitar shown on the cover of my 2004 CD is from the D log. Fabulous instrument.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: The Search Continues... Part 2

Hate to say it, but I liked the engelmann tone a lot better.
  25. Ellis A5 #339-15 and a Visit to the Ellis Shop

I recently purchased a used Ellis A5 and fell in love with the tone of it. Because of an old left hand injury, I needed to get the neck reshaped to make it work for me. I contacted Ellis Mandolins to...
Page 1 of 2 1 2