Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Me and Bobby McGee

Did this up today. I'm working on my video editing skills... I thought the combo of open (strumming and filling) mando worked well with fingerpicked guitar.

Here: https://youtu.be/X8T3tO8DywA
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: To Cafe Members on the US West Coast

Don't leave out arson which is the case with the Almeda fire in Talent/Phoenix, Oregon a scant few miles from my place. We are still on evacuation alert , though at level 1 currently.

Grab the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Erin - Thank you for the reminder. I live in Sonoma County where I have many friends and clients who lost everything except the clothes they were wearing. Many are alive through shear luck. We were...
  4. Replies
    Views

The big game changers here have been the dry lightning, the stronger winds, and the trees that are drier than usual from the many drought years over the past decade. Multiple fires have become major...
  5. Replies
    Views

Annual warnings about life safety doesn’t seem to much to me. Some people find it hard to determine risk.
  6. Replies
    Views

Every year we have a version of this discussion, it seems. Just like the yearly flooding of the Mississippi river in certain areas and regular hurricane activity in the Gulf of Mexico and...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Ken Cartwright loses home in Oregon fires

“Is there a way for people who aren't on facebook to help?”

I’m not on Face(less)book either but I hear there is a “go fund” me page that may be set up for Ken and his wife. If it comes to...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Pinched Nerves and Hand Tremor?

I have a stenosis in my neck. Ultimately physical therapy eased the symptoms, but it did initially cause involuntary movements, which could be described as tremors, and weakness, as well as nerve...
  9. Thread: Le Cygne

by Eugene
    Replies
    Views

Le Cygne

Wedding request. I'd prefer this piece be performed in duo (or, as originally written, as a trio). However, in being contracted as a soloist this outing, this seemed a more convincing approach to...
  10. Replies
    Views

Galway Girl, once more...

As if the world desperately needs another take of this song, but it’s always fun, and it was our only get-together in 6 months so we stuck to what we know....

Matter of fact I recorded this before...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe versus Craigslist

I dislike telephones. I don't wish to be intruded upon at the whim of strangers.

Email can be dealt with on my own schedule, and it provides a permanent record. Beyond that, complex concepts can...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Cafe versus Craigslist

Certified old guy here. It’s not a generational thing. I prefer text or email until I know someone is serious. I don’t want my phone number in the hands of some anonymous person (at least anymore...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Steve Earl and his Gibson mandolins

Steve is most definitely "The Man". What a true eccentric. And I mean that as a compliment. Have seen him several times live- and each show was completely different. That old Gibson A that he played...
  14. Replies
    Views

Steve Earle and his Gibson mandolins

Pretty cool segment of Steve Earle discussing his Gibson mandolins.
    Also, is he George Gruhn's brother? Can anyone else see the similarity? lol

https://youtu.be/oa8zJWVpm-0

Best regards, ...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Better tone with light strings?

https://www.stringsbymail.com/la-bella-880m-mandolin-strings-medium-11-38-16934.html

^^^ These are what I use. To me they are the perfect balance between reg mediums and lights since they are...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for Music Documentary Recommendations

A documentary on Norwegian sisters Ragnhild and Eldbjørg Hemsing on their quest to recreate the sound of Ole Bull Norway's most famous violinist / composer.
    I really like the way their infectious...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach: Bourreé I&II, BWV 1009

There are lots of books about early music performance practice, including some 18th century mandolin instruction books (all later than Bach in this case), including this one and this one, available...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Stolen Mandolin

He was a thief school dropout.....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Stolen Mandolin

Great news! The mandolin is back home! A guy called me asking about it. Said he bought it at an estate sale. Turns out he was involved in the crime. Just glad it was a happy ending. Made my week for...
  20. Re: Looking for Music Documentary Recommendations

Bill Monroe-Father of Bluegrass music (anybody recommend this yet?)
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Hand Lotion and Strings

I work in infection control specifically fitting the machines that clean and sterilise surgical instruments. As a result I have been using hand sanitisers for years and some of the hospital soaps are...
  22. Replies
    Views

This ^^^ I use Burts Bees hand salve, as I get very dry skin. After a week, my strings are black with grime and dead. Been wiping them down, which helps. Doesn't bother me too much, I like dead...
  23. Replies
    Views

My wife & son have issues with the alcohol based stuff wrecking their skin & making it sore.
    They swapped to using gloves & treating those as if they are their hands. So moving about between shop,...
  24. Replies
    Views

Also, if lotion gets into the windings of your wound strings, the lotion will not only deaden them by itself, but it will attract lint and dust which will further deaden the strings. For non-wound...
  25. Replies
    Views

Hi Erin,
    In a perfect world, you would wash and dry your hands with cool water before you play.
    Avoiding lotion and hot water before playing will prevent softening callouses. This combined with...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4