Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: 14” octave string set questions

Honestly, the strings weren’t super slack. I think Billy Gibbons plays with .007-.038 strings, and I have to imagine that those are more slack than what I had. I think you have to just attack the...
  2. Replies
    Views

For science:
    https://youtu.be/zkBtpPUrr8k?si=WpmBNyUTerqU1J-r
    This is my 18” electric octave capo’d at the fourth fret, which puts it a little over 14.25”. Then I tuned it down to G D A E with the...
  3. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

I played over 40 Lloyd Loar signed mandolins, mandolas, and mandocellos plus a ton of other great instruments in the last two months.

Guess what? They all sounded like me playing an old mandolin....
  4. Replies
    Views

If you don’t have much to lose and want to try it, start using a string tension calculator set for a 14” scale. My electric octave is around 20lbs per string. That was a nice round number to start...
  5. Thread: 4 string mandos

by pelone
    Replies
    Views

4 string mandos

I have just recently finished builds on three mandos...a recent post what if any four string instruments were out there----to builders crafting 4 string I offer this encouragement. I find the four...
  6. Nickel Creek – studio session at The Current (music & interview)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnPdRU1kxRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnPdRU1kxRA
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: What Preamp Do You Prefer

Tonedexter...converted me, who never heard an acoustic instrument w/ pickup that didn't make me cringe.
  8. Thread: Worm holes

by Ray(T)
    Replies
    Views

Re: Worm holes

Whilst I would never deter anyone from investing in another instrument, I am mindful that picks are likely to take up a lot less space than 30+ mandolins.
  9. Thread: Worm holes

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Worm holes

Of course not. You need to get 26 more mandolins. That is the most sensible thing.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Your advice for playing a concert

Somebody recently said, and I don't remember who, Victor Wooten maybe, but somebody said "the only thing they will remember after the concert is how you made them feel."
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Adjustable bridge ideas

The four attached photos show two designs for a sliding wedge adjustable bridge with no metal hardware. The "exploded" views show how the bridge foot, bridge saddle, and...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Did something I never thought I’d do

I'm not sure I'd put a capo on a mandolin (octave, no problem), I'd rather sit the tune out or be forced to work it out and play just odd bits of accompaniment.
    As Bren was saying, there are often...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Re-using case stickers

Obviously, stating the obvious, obviously. :grin: But better safe than sorry. ;)

BTW, when my old van died, I was saddened about the loss of my Red Knuckles And The Trailblazers bumper sticker. :(...
  14. Replies
    Views

Farewell Trion

I recently uploaded a couple of videos of this tune to YouTube. Here's a link to my solo mandola version. Thanks for listening!

https://youtu.be/Rz0_MFzcFIQ
  15. Thread: Selling price

by PT66
    Replies
    Views

Re: Selling price

I guess I will keep building for the pure joy of creating.
  16. Re: Thile on CBS Saturday Morning today: what are the mandos?

https://youtu.be/FrO0mP_HVTA
    https://youtu.be/FrO0mP_HVTA
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Varnish vs Lacquer

I’ll go ahead and put the target on my back. I use varnish because of the sound. Fire away.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Inexplicable buzzing

When this has happened to me it's been due to loose tuning machine buttons.
  19. Thread: Pick spin

by Bill McCall
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick spin

Or a little violin rosin on your fingers
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: How special is this sound?

Don't judge anything you hear online without a large dose of salt, because modern audio processing can make anything sound great. I'm sure that's a good mandolin, but I'm also hearing a heavy dose of...
  21. Re: The Change That I See in Bluegrass Over The Past 20 Years.

You say 20 years but then you’re talking about the 80s. You know that’s 40 years, right?

In the 80s, I was listening to and excited by the trend to “hot pickers” that really started in the 70s....
  22. Replies
    Views

Sam Grisman in Seattle

Just went to see Sam Grisman last Sunday at the Tractor Tavern in Seattle - and holy cow, what a show. David Grisman sat in with them for about half the show and they played lots of Grisman / Garcia...
  23. Replies
    Views

NMD Arrow 'Manouche'

Went up to a 'local' jam Sunday (85 miles away) and picked this guy up from Paul Lestock of Arrow Guitars and Mandolins. It's a custom bodied, long scale (15") instrument meant to evoke a gypsy...
  24. Re: BG jam: folks get annoyed if you're not playing standard lick

Not interested at all in the ‘standard’ licks. If I wanted repetition I’d go to an OT jam.

Ain’t going to happen.

Ymmv.
  25. Re: Why not a domestic, hand built instrument instead?

I'll take the bait.

Here is some simple math --

The materials for a high-quality build are easily $1000 to $1500 if you include top-tier tuners, tone wood, bridge, an OK case, etc.

That...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4