Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally Completed!

Lovely! I would imagine it's got dulcet tones. You should be proud.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Now what do I do?

If I understand correctly, the actual distance from the nut is 23/32" greater than the distance called for in the plans.
    If that is so, you have the following choices:

1. Increase the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Who doesn't memorize tunes/songs?

I can’t read music and have no interest in learning. I’ve made a couple of attempts and to me it’s just not fun. I get that it would open up a whole world of music etc. Still not interested. I...
  4. Replies
    Views

New Kelley F5

Here’s some pictures of my latest F5. It’s made with a 100 year old red spruce top, highly figured north-eastern maple. Very even balance across the strings and even up the neck. Thanks for looking!...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Recommendations for a ruined(?) finish

This is my #22 which became my main mandolin for about 17 years. I don't remember why but I was unhappy with the first sunburst attempt and sanded it back. I think I did that twice. I was convinced...
  6. Thread: Bending Sides

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bending Sides

Sapele is sort-of-mahogany, and that means it might benefit from soaking in water, but 4 hours might be excessive. Over-wetting wood can lead to breaking.
    We must learn how each wood we use...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: A Titebond Glue Question

So, according to Titebond's website, the code is still (as of 20 minutes ago on their website): AYMMDD...

A=American manufacture

Y=last number of the year (so in your case, 8=2018, presumably,...
  8. Thread: Dobro repair

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

Re: Dobro repair

Good job, that's what repair is all about, figure out what's wrong and fix it.
  9. Replies
    Views

A few new Mowrys

Hi folks, I try not to post shameless advertising here too often, but as it's been a few years... :)

Here are a few new completions I thought I'd share. I had two different sets of matching...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Dobro repair

I got two different mandolins that were made by Saga that had the same binding gap from the factory. I'm sure the wood has moved I'm just not sure it happened because of the two times it was dropped.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Build Question

There are a lot of variables here.....

If we take family and friends out of the equation and we are simply building a mandolin to sell, a good portion of the value will depend on the final...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Mandolin Picture

13. Replies
    Views

Re: Not *that* kind of mandolin!

In order to not embarrass her I snipped her name and email address. I did send her the ebook with a humorous note. 😇
  14. Replies
    Views

Don't be nervous

A lot of people report wanting to have a solid base of tunes or skills before they play with others, or maybe that they just want to practice something more or have more variations they can rely on...
  15. Replies
    Views

A fave, due to TRC.
  16. Replies
    Views

This one of my just arrived Girouard oval A is my favorite: