Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tap Tuning F5 mandolins.

I am LL nut and purist and spent many (20+) years studying construction and evrything even remotely connected to LL and found out that most of the tuning theories that you can find in books or online...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP: Dr. Ralph Stanley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I16YOPmmZbs
  3. Replies
    Views

Gilchrist Restoring the First Loar

Just saw this on Frank Solivans instagram.

https://instagram.com/p/7q_zcFo4aP/

Sounds exciting!
  4. Replies
    Views

The Mandolin - a history on Kickstarter

As some of you will know, for the past several years I have been working on a book about the history of mandolins called The Mandolin - a history. It is just about ready for the printers and to pay...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Steve Gilchrist on Gibson and Varnish...........

Well this is getting into some real geek territory but though DuPont did not attempt to patent nitrocellulose lacquer until 1921, nitro and other similar lacquers had been produced for years by...
  6. Replies
    Views

Steve Gilchrist on Gibson and Varnish...........

I had a question I had wanted to ask Steve for a while and I am so thankful that he took the time to answer it as thoroughly as he did. I believe he has studied this subject and provides as much...
  7. Replies
    Views

Sticky: Re: Loar Picture of the Day

Received this email from Christie at Carter Vintage Guitars, thought worth sharing.

-------------

Our April 12th Loar F-5 celebrated its 91st birthday today with friends and family and a glass...
  8. Replies
    Views

A quick search of the Mandolin Archives illustrates the facts. These are only the known and verified totals listed.

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/signature_dates.html
  9. Replies
    Views

Today is an appropriate day to reflect on a bit of "Lore of the Loar"

Today being March 31st marks the last large batch of F5 mandolins and commemorates their 90th birthday. We have some Loars...
  10. Replies
    Views

Lloyd Loar in 1921 on Bridges

In 1921 Lloyd Loar gave a speech at the Guild of Banjoists, Mandolinists and Guitarists Convention in Los Angeles, California. His topic was "Gibson Selling Points From Science." The entire speech...
  11. Who Invented the Gibson "Cremona Brown" Sunburst Finish?

Like so many of Gibson's now world-famous innovations, the "Cremona Brown" sunburst finish used on the Master-Model instruments from 1922 forwards was the invention of an obscure employee.

Turns...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Virzi--What am I missing?

Yep, John, that's almost all of it. The only other thing it (i.e., the Virzi-thingy) did was raise the frequency of the third air mode, or "sideways sloshing mode" from about 1.0-1.1 kHz to about...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar case keys

Here is the real-deal oval lock on a genuine Loar case. Neither key is original. The one on the right works. It has a second tab that's unnecessary and doesn't actually go into the lock. The one on...