Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How to build responsiveness in?

Thanks Dave (& everyone else), your responses have been very insightful. When I say responsiveness, I feel as if there is a slight delay from picking a note to when my brain registers it;...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with sealer coat

Thanks to everyone for your advice, problem solved! Hopefully everyone sees this reply as I'm not sure how to tag everyone. I revisited my spray rig; Kobalt with a 1.4mm orifice. Harbor freight...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Describe your MAS progression

Ex guitar player so I’d had some experience, but saw someone playing at a festival and thought “I should try that “. Started innocently but my first instrument was a 1916 Gibson A. Rang like a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: How many of you play 3rd-less chords?

I play in a duo with a guitar player who plays pretty much full chords, and we play everything from modern rock to country and bluegrass. I probably play 'fifth' or power chords 80% of the time,...
  5. Re: Ukrainian Tune #1 Waltz in Am staff notation w/ TAB

Martin, "Waltz from Rashivka" is especially beautiful. I tried to figure out the chords you are playing for accompaniment but several just dont sound quite the same- could you possibly share a...
  6. Re: Ukrainian Tune #1 Waltz in Am staff notation w/ TAB

David, any way we could convince you to post recording of how you play them? I play in a duo and these would be great timely additions, I'd be very interested to see how you embelish, to get some...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

I was asked to add mandolin to an original tune by a great local trio, which was really an honor but also stressful as I’m pretty self critical. https://youtu.be/seHNot03ulE
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

Thanks Jill! That was really helpful. I am skipping most of the two note chords and that’s helping it flow, at least for now (in case anyone else attempts this). Really amazing how fluid your...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 2019 Tune-A-Week Project

Hi Jill, I really like that rendition of Peter Byrnes Fancy! Would you have tab you could share? I found a couple versions online but they are really sparse.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: REPLACEMENT TUNERS FOR Km -150

I bought a used KM with Rubners on it a while back and they are great. You won’t go wrong with Grover’s either but Rubners are smoother.
  11. Re: Is there an effect if you reverse the treble and bass tone ba

Thanks everyone. To ‘fess up on why I’m asking, in case you can t guess... I’m doing my 5th mandolin build (A model) and finished carefully graduating the top, got out the Siminoff print to Lay...
  12. Re: Best Beginner Book for Learning to Read Music

Debora Chen's book, "Standard Notation for the Tab-Addicted Mandolinist". This is not a book of songs which may seem tough at first, but this book presents a great, easier way to learn to read...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin and guitar duo

I fully agree with Bob- especially if you are aiming at all or mostly instrumental. Find a good person to give you honest feedback and use it, or you risk becoming really boring to listen to. I...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Post A Picture Of Yourself

A recent gig. 153169
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Julin's beat-up Nugget for sale

Not wanting to add to the debate on this, just wanted to report (brag) that I got to play this fine instrument last evening. Impressive. Probably the best I've ever played- attack, responsiveness...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: the old north woods

I have Sam's DVD that teaches this and I learned a lot from watching his hand position, movements and trying to mimic the motions, which is essential in copying this style--- especially the right...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: 1st build F5 IV Kit staining ?s

If you go this route pleas do some total test runs on our material. Shellac is alcohol soluble so your dye (stain) mixed with alcohol can easily dissolve the shellac or move it around and make a...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin related gifts

Another vote for the Mcclung- I have 3 and love them. A soft leather strap is a good idea too. if you don't have them, David grisman tone poems 1 CD is cool- comes with a booklet explaining the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Headstocks, just headstocks

My latest (kit) build; just strung up last night 130035
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Gluing in some inlay

I bought a jar of lamp black and it's probalby enough to paint the entire state I live in. If you send me a note with your address I'll put a bit in a ziplock bag and mail it to you.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Smoke Damage / Cleaning, Odor Removal

I had a house fire back in 1995 with similar issues. Trust me- throw away and claim all of the cases as you will never get all of the soot and smell out, and smoke is acidic. No matter how well you...
  22. Re: Post a picture of your completed mandolin built from a kit

Here are the 3 Siminoff kits I've built to date- a 4th is in progress. I stay with Siminoff because Roger is a great resource; I called several times to discuss issues and tone, and learned...
  23. Re: How Many Really Like BLACK Top and BLACK Mandolins??

I really like the look of a black top contrasted by reddish brown sides and back. Maybe I've spent too much time looking at old gibson a but ultimately had to have one so made this simian of kit in...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Siminoff H-4 kit build is done

Long overdue but I finally learned how to do video. Here is a sound clip with some more pics.
    http://youtu.be/5Imyqy2Q0RA
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Luthierie webinar topics?

it may get a little deep or controversial for some, but something on the science behind the Virzi.... like foot placement relative to the bridge and why, will it work with X-bracing the same, etc... ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2