Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Rogue A Style Tuner Upgrade

Well, like many (most) Rogue A Style owners I realized quickly that the tuners are about the worst part of the instrument. Mine were barely usable, but they were able to hold it in tune for the most...
  2. Re: Tip: Replacing Book Bindings with Spiral Bindings

Been doing this for years - Buy used from amazon then take it to the office store to make spiral. Then put it on a shelf and forget it's there!
  3. Re: If you have Scroll Envy and $299.00 this has your name on it

I got one from The Mandolin Store with HSC. Use it on stage for a couple of tunes.

Wanted an f style that "looked" vintage and it has fit my needs well. Check out this thread...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Newbie here, suffering from analysis paralysis

One other thing if not mentioned above. If your budget is $500 then that will have to pay for the instrument plus the case and possibly shipping/tax.

Online dealers often will setup the mandolin...
  5. Replies
    Views

Short Live video of our band

Sorry for the shortness of this clip but here is the Altered Roots Band playing one of the 2 tunes I play mandolin (bass on all else). This was 3/8/19 at an upscale outdoor shopping plaza in SE...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Finding the groove

Don't forget that whichever instrument you play you must begin moving to a note or chord before you need it to sound and at differing tempos that advance movement will be at a similar speed. Like...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: What I hate most about mandolin

What I dislike about the mandolin really has nothing to do with the instrument, it's the way my pinkie fingers angle. My hands are smallish and my pinkies are short but as I curl my fingers the...
  8. Re: Recommended Resources for Learning to Read Music?

If you have access to a cheapo keyboard, even just to borrow for a bit, you might check the public library for a intro piano book. That way you are seeing the natural layout of the notes and chords...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Again with the picks

This thread is interesting hearing the preferences of many players but it got me thinking that somewhere there is a mandolin player with a $49 Rogue and $3,000 worth of picks!:disbelief:

And they...
  10. Re: How are your Empathy and Listening skills? (yes, mando conten

At work yesterday (I am a librarian) we had a Meditation program featuring two musicians, one playing a set of Tablas, the other trumpet. They played together at the end I was really getting into...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin-related multitool?

Get these folks involved, they will come up with something.

https://forum.multitool.org/
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: My latest crazy idea - the "Faux Mandola!"

Mike - I did see that thread and several others about lower tunings. I first tried the E blues tuning but I did like the resulting tone.

sblock - Yes I understand all of that, been working on...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: tweaking the pick

I tried some thicker picks when starting mandolin but not any of the booteek ones. I finally settled on a plain medium guitar pick I got from a string vendor. Maybe they feel best because I have...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Rogue Neck Profile?

Thanks JL277z, that is very helpful! I think one problem I am having is that my other mandolin, an Ibanez M510e has a more "capital U" shaped neck and in contrast to the Loar's rather sharp V feels...
  15. Thread: Public Domain

by ukenukem
    Replies
    Views

Re: Public Domain

The thing that bugs me about this in our digital age is that it would be so simple for ASCAP, BMI, etc to have created a universally accessible software system where musicians/bands playing at a...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: The Thumb and The Pick

"Struggling with the pick is common."

That statement gives me hope! As a long time guitarist, I find the "correct" mandolin hold feels strange and I have little control switching from playing...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: A Pickup that Works for Me

UPDATE - I changed strings to a set of Mapes P/B hoping that it would balance the output of the p/u (the nickel/steel set was way too bassy so I had to set the p/u at an extreme angle) so now the p/u...
  18. Thread: BAS(s)

by ukenukem
    Replies
    Views

Re: BAS(s)

Here's a tip - The human brain will interpret any vague thump as a note related to what the other instruments are playing. So, when your pianist goes off just lift up your fretting finger to make an...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: What are these and why do I need them?

I ordered a set of 4 from ebay (stumbled on it) and the dude sent my 12! So now I MUST acquire more mandolins!
  20. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Progress!

Well, I finally picked up a Mandolin. A used Ibanez M510E. I found it online at a Guitar Center in SC in advance of visiting my new grandson (number 7).

Anyway, on Saturday I did the following.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: NMC - Beginner Uke Question

Ukes have been all the rage in local music stores for a number of years so check local. Go in and look around, ask some questions and see if you get a feel that they really understand and love the...