Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Ukrainian Tune #1 Waltz in Am staff notation w/ TAB

Thanks, Mark. Yes, I also prefer "Waltz From Ravishka" among the two tunes I have recorded -- I think mainly because I have played it at a better tempo. For the other one, "Nevil'nyk", I think the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on abbreviated pickguards

First of all, I love the blueburst look of the back and sides of your mandolin!! That said, I’m not a pick guard fan. I prefer to see the contours and wood of the top unimpeded, and I don’t need the...
  3. Replies
    Views

No longer in the collection but imo a beautiful and elegant take on the abbreviated pickguard.
  4. Replies
    Views

My Eastman's pickguard is pretty small.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/eastman/pages/2216/attachments/original/1611249076/MD615_F-Style__BCL1_0118.jpg
  5. Replies
    Views

I liked the abbreviated style, 5 - 5 1/4” x 2”. A midsize is good to, 5 1/4” x 2 1/8” - 2 1/4”. Pins and or screws are sufficient alone, without a side bracket, to securely hold the pg in place
  6. Replies
    Views

I'm the same as Ray, I use it more as register to where my hand is and fingertips just lightly brush it. Mine are pinned into the fingerboard extension a good 1/16" below the fretboard surface and...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Arm rest. Y or N?

In addition to the benefits already stated above, I find that an armrest helps offset the weight of the headstock. Especially on an F5 shape with a tonegard on.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: "Floating" right hand

Here is an easy experiment. Wrap a rubber band around your four fingers and then hold the pick in a standard position between thumb and forefinger. You can really hear the difference in tone by...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: "Floating" right hand

I am a guitarist historically, and I have always pinky planted.
    When I started playing mandolin I made a conscious effort to play it correctly, with a floating hand.
    It wasn't so hard, once I...
  10. Re: Bridges: do sharp vs rounded corners make any tone difference

It doesn't make a difference in sound, as long as you don't make changes to the height or location where the strings touch, or to the size and fit of the bridge feet. The rounded corners are really...
  11. Re: Bridges: do sharp vs rounded corners make any tone difference

The bridge does not radiate sound - the top does.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about using Tru-Oil Varnish

My current standard finish is Transtints in alcohol for color followed by a TruOil base with a French Polished shellac+sandarac top coat. I like the way TruOil pushes the Transtints into the wood...
  13. Re: Does a Gibson get any rarer than this? I don't think so!

Off topic, but does anyone know where I can get some of these labels because I'd like to have a Lloyd Loar signed CD player?
  14. some real nice mandolin playing on this CD, Farewell Trion

relaxing clawhammer "ahem" banjo via Chris Coole, chocolate resonator via Ivan Rosenberg, and superb quiet mandolin via John Reischman

song 10 especially
  15. Re: Not "Wagon Wheel" again - are there other popular band songs?

That will be the day I beg my caregivers to pull the plug.