Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

Rather than playing scales and exercises improvise along with recordings. Branch out from what you are comfortable with to new stuff. Close your eyes and play by ear. Make it hand/ear coordination...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Attack, pick and string gauge

Put a set of Thomastik flatwounds on there. Pretty buttery, though not a bluegrass string.
  3. Thread: Buzzing amp

by Joed
    Replies
    Views

Re: Buzzing amp

Check for continuity between the bridge and the casing or knob on one of the control pots. If there's no conduction between the two the bridge isn't grounded. If it's made like most electric guitars...
  4. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

When I sing I just sing the note. I don't think about what note it is. When I'm playing right, it's the same thing. My hand knows where it is, like my vocal cords.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

"Blues" covers allot of ground. Messing around now trying to find something the Clapton, Stevie Ray crowd would like, how about a Canned Heat style boogie? On the G and D strings played together open...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

G minor is made for mandolin blues. Learn the Bach sonata in G minor and take it from there. Think Autumn Leaves.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Blind Mandolin Players ?

I play both guitar and mandolin without looking at them most of the time as a way to connect to letting my hands go to where the sound is rather than to a specific place, like first string third...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: B.B King box on mandolin?

G minor is a pretty good box for minor blues on mandolin. The instrument is well suited to it. Try "As the years go passing by" as done by several Kings, or "Thrill is gone"..Try em in Gm.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: B.B King box on mandolin?

It appears to me that this BB Box business is talking about using a particular range on the guitar as a sweet spot for sound. This depends on the guitar, the strings, the tuning, the amp and how...
  10. Thread: Nut file sizes

by Joed
    Replies
    Views

Re: Nut file sizes

Might try lubing the slots with graphite from a pencil.
  11. Re: Tennis elbow in the picking arm - how to avoid it?

The business about wrist curls (a flat out cure for me) is from the book "Sports Health" by Southmayd and Hoffman. There's more info there.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: microphone feedback cures

The Sennheiser has a pop filter for vocals, though it's fine for instruments. A 58 is more comparable. 58s and 57s are about the same but the 58 has a pop filter for vocals and it's superior to the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: microphone feedback cures

Put a third octave EQ in line, turn up till it feeds back, notch that frequency down...repeat.
  14. Re: Tennis elbow in the picking arm - how to avoid it?

I struggled with this years ago. I read about doing wrist curls to strengthen the forearm muscles which helps to hold the tendons in their proper positions which is where the pain comes from. I sit...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: EastWOOD electric mandolin

My first Eastman is a El Rey guitar. It is the obvious ancestor of the El Rey mandolin. It's a guitar with some contradictions. First and emphatically, it's wayyy neck heavy, so heavy it's hard to...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin in the Hospital???

As a guitar player, much of my motive for getting a mandolin was to have an instrument I could play while flat on my back.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Artistworks question

As a guitar player learning mandolin I like the Mike Marshall lessons allot. He's a good teacher and comes across as a real good guy. The learning curve is probably pretty steep, though I've skipped...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with mandola strings pls

If the string rests on the tuner side of the nut due to the angle it's filed when you fret the string at say the first fret you are making more of a jump distance wise than the other strings if they...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick thickness - how to choose?

How about these "neopolitan" picks..long and thin. I'd try one if I knew where to get it. I saw a clip of some serious chord tremolo on a bowlback with one, guy held it like a pencil.
    Any opinions...