Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: *SHOCKING* Lloyd Loars melted down to make new ukes!

I applied for one of those transition councilor jobs, you know work from home, easy hours, friendly work environment, but the response to my application was - "you ain't no part of nuthin'"
  2. Re: *SHOCKING* Lloyd Loars melted down to make new ukes!

They tried doing it with Schmergel Devastators(TM) first but, they melted the furnace. When Chuck Norris punches a Schmergel Devastator, he breaks.

Jamie
  3. Re: *SHOCKING* Lloyd Loars melted down to make new ukes!

I saw part of this on the news. I'd tuned in midway through the story while channel surfing, so I appreciate your posting the full story.

I remember hearing about the essence being incorporated...
  4. Re: *SHOCKING* Lloyd Loars melted down to make new ukes!

Sign me up!

I want several ukes with a mandolin-Loar sound in my arsenal of mighty ukes!

Can I order them on April 2nd?
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Theme Song from "Servant of the People"

Thanks Tim, very nice melody and playing. Here's hoping that Zelenskiy emerges victorious and can get back to making people laugh again.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  6. Replies
    Views

Theme Song from "Servant of the People"

These past few weeks I've been enjoying the Ukrainian sit-com "Servant of the People," starring comedian (and current President of Ukraine) Volodymyr Zelenskiy.

The opening credits take us on a...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

This is a collectible car term:
  8. Re: What’s going through your mind during a solo?

Mostly whether or not I’m contributing anything musically pleasing to serve the song, or anything entertaining for the audience - or I’m thinking about the notes I’m flubbing, lol

Generally, I’ve...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Verbally counting time in 3/4 waltzes

I’m general:

3/4 = 3 beats to a measure and the quarter note gets one beat

So, a measure with three quarter notes is counted 1 - 2 - 3

A measure with six eighth notes is counted 1 and 2 and...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Yep, that's the one! Arranged for mandolin vs arranged for oud but same song :) . I suspect the mandolin arrangement there is more useful here.
  11. Replies
    Views

Another couple of traditional songs.

"Debarsko Oro" (traditional song from North Macedonia):
    MyH67DdXsJ8

"Nuba Al-Istihlal" نوبة الإستهلال (Traditional Moroccan Andalusi song):
    71J3E8XkiKg
  12. Replies
    Views

I enjoyed those tune very much, JL. Lovely playing. Thanks for sharing.
  13. Replies
    Views

A couple of traditional songs, one English, one French. Bonus points to whoever can name everything in the background of both ;) .

Yh976pRbFOg

a234O9v0nXY
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Cape Breton mandolin (1976)

I have have few points to make about Cape Breton traditional music. I have roots in and spent a great deal of time in Cape Breton, and am the grandson of a Cape Breton fiddler. I play tunes in the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Cape Breton mandolin (1976)

Here are a couple of pieces recorded by the Celtic Studies scholar and Cape Breton fiddler, John Shaw, et al. Shaw's notes imply that relatives of one musician were playing Cape Breton music on...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Something different

Okay-y-y-y-y ... But I was hoping for a view of said guitar, which this video does not provide. Curiosity piqued, searching for such imagery, I came upon this here article with a few photos and an...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Reasons to avoid practicing

My assessment of your motivation and/or technique may have been a bit off the mark, but my appreciation of the artistic achievement is spot on, IMO. You took a notion and ran with it, incorporating...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Reasons to avoid practicing

This is an exquisitely elaborate bit of overthought folderol if there ever was one! :))
  19. Re: Looking at your hands while playing -- opinions?

I never look at my hands, either of them. I happen to be totally blind, not one who is trying some new technique. Even so, I find it quite pleasant and rather liberating.

Back when I started...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Something different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1G0jl0Vc64
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Right arm placement

Ditto, I feel the central alignment works best for me.
    My pick travel distance is reduced to 2 courses either way & the arm comes in at an angle where the mandolin rests on the crook of my elbow...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Right arm placement

In my view, positioning your picking arm the way you are is fine, perhaps even ideal. Coming in straight over the tailpiece and straight over the bridge and strings (without resting on them) centers...
  23. Re: Little Italy - my first composition for guitar and mandolin)

Thank you so much for your feedback! Your feedback inspires me a lot! I had a mandolin in my deep childhood, but I did not play it, but only looked at the instrument as something very beautiful) Now...
  24. Little Italy - my first composition for guitar and mandolin)

Hi everyone!! I am a composer and guitarist, and just recently started studying mandolin).
    This is now one of my favourite instruments. And I'm glad I found this forum.
    Let me share the first song...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Hot k&k pickups and pickguards

The transducers are very tricky to install. The type and thickness of the glue or adhesive effect the preformance. I use RTV silicone when possible. Putty, or two layers of the tape cools them off....
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4