Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic Scales Primer

The Circle is just such an onion of music - just so many layers ;) I have another post I'm working on about harmonizing major scales and modes using the circle as well.

My favorite part about...
  2. Thread: Changing pick hold

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Re: Changing pick hold

It just takes time and patience, but it will be worth it in the end, and you’ll figure out how to adjust your attack so you don’t feel like you’re playing too hard. The process sucks but is worth it...
  3. Replies
    Views

I use thumb and 2 fingers (alot). IME, that doesn't mean the pick angle is perpendicular and horizontal to the strings.
    I think it helps actually to be able to change easily the strength of attack....
  4. Replies
    Views

That's what stands in the way of faster/easier. Patience is the way to go. A somewhat heavy-handed Hulk approach (beating the crap) is normal under the circumstances and will right itself, given due...
  5. Replies
    Views

Wayne hit the nail on the head when he said you have to commit to it.

I committed to changing my pick grip about 20 years ago, when I was trying to learn to flatpick guitar and use heavy picks,...
  6. Replies
    Views

Don’t base your estimated “months of work” on a few anecdotes of others, we’re all a bit different when it comes to learning … as well as to personal technique, etc.

in my own opinion, using a...
  7. Replies
    Views

Basic Technique Primer 1

Hey all

After a seeing a few posts here and also fielding similar questions from students, I figured I'd post a basic technique primer for the picking hand. This is not meant as a be all end all,...
  8. Re: Shout-out for Duke Sharp's Garageband Theory book

Hey Mark,

"A bit long-winded" yep - sometimes I don't know when to shut up ;)

Thanks for wading into it - there really is a lot of useful stuff mixed in with the BS.

And here's some...
  9. Re: Shout-out for Duke Sharp's Garageband Theory book

Thank you Tim, that's high praise! Very glad to hear you're enjoying it, and I very much appreciate you taking the time to say it in this forum!

My name is on the cover but I got loads of help...
  10. Re: Another acoustic blues show on facebook live

Great playing!
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Songs for a wedding

OK, when my-husband-the-guitar-player and I were asked to play music for my nephew's wedding, we were asked to use Into the West (from the Lord of the Rings movie) as the wedding march (you can find...
  12. Replies
    Views

What about "Give me your hand" from O'Neill's?
  13. Replies
    Views

You and I were meant to be together, by the Statler brothers.My Only Love is the title of this song.
  14. Replies
    Views

How about " All The Good Times Are Past And Gone"
  15. Thread: Picks

by Jim Broyles
    Replies
    Views

Re: Picks

Dunlop Ultex 1.14 mm rounded triangle. My favorite mandolin pick. Fender 346 Extra heavy in white is a decent second choice. Yes, the white sounds better than any other color. 😉
  16. Replies
    Views

Blues, Stomps, & Rags #9

I couldn't find much information about the mandolin player, Matthew Prater (1883-19--?), other than that he was born in New Albany, Mississippi in 1893, and teamed up with guitar player Nap Hayes in...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Play Every Note?

When songs are played (too) fast , they lose musicality, when songs are played stupidly fast , they have no musicality at all, songs often have the cadence of speech , when speech is stupidly fast ,...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Play Every Note?

Many great players "ghost" well-chosen notes to be able to play the tune in a more musical way overall. Better to do that and sound good than to be stubborn and lose your tone and timing and...
  19. Re: Name the top three things that have made you a better Mandoli

I can totally identify, which is what made it even funnier.

I believe, after more than 30 years in playing music that there are two schools of approaching playing music. There are those of us...