Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

Well, if Collings believes in using torrefied tops, then I have to believe that there is something to it. I have heard from a reliable, knowledgeable guitar player who has played hundreds of guitars...
  2. Re: Most tunes I post to YouTube are 65+ years old

I have said, more than once, to one of my younger students, "I like more modern music, like the 90s and early 2000s", and they give me the strangest look. :confused:
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Arthritis

I have several students with arthritis and their best results has come from receiving very excellent professional physical therapy. Buying a hand exerciser has a very repetitive motion and that might...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

The first step for anyone learning mandolin is to have a decent sounding one that has as good a setup for easy playability. I am no actual expert on ADHD but I did teach elementary, middle school,...
  5. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Not the murdered man ballads? :confused:
  6. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

How about banning murder ballads? <just kidding!> :grin:
  7. Re: If you don't have the cash for a Gilchrist

:disbelief: Yeah, if you DO have the cash for a Gilchrist Model 5 and... Oh, LOOK! You buy this instead... :confused:
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Paganini for Mandolin

Does these work?

Audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8JFOx7mJR8

and a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMgWTSUdZII
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mid tier Mando that will hold its value

Mid-tier could mean roughly $3,000 to some, $5,000 or more to others. You can spend less than that and get a pretty nice mandolin. You'll get more for your money, in most cases, if you buy an A-style...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar player wanting to learn mandolin

David Benedict has some good advice on budget starter mandolins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmTu2GpRE7o&t=84s
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Man....I had a blue guitar...

Very nice! The color of your new Morris reminds me of some of the tones of blue used for The Blue Collection, which consists of archtop guitars built by the top archtop builders in the world.
    Here...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

Hard to tell what is real these days. I am FAR more afraid of AI than Bill Monroe!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: DI for K&K pickup?

Another vote here for the Redeye pre. VERY transparent and easy to use.
  14. Re: Video: John Reischman's solo from "Nesser"

Very, VERY well played. Notice how relaxed Jesse's hands are. If you play with tension in your hands, it is impossible to play this smoothly.

That's a GREAT sounding mandolin, Jesse!

Nick, it...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Using a capo with a mandolin?

I rarely use a capo on mandolin and it's a definite never for bluegrass. But let's say that a singer wants to sing in Eb (D#) (ye gads!) and I seek open ringing chords and drones out of D, and that...
  16. Re: British guy here – how should I spend $10,000?

This model mandolin just popped into my head: Gibson Sam Bush F5 model. It has a wide nut, cool block inlay and they sound GREAT. I have heard one played in person and I was mighty impressed. I would...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard Griffith Tribute A5

Oh, how gorgeous (in looks and sound) are both of those Loar A5 tribute mandolins!

Do they both have a flat fingerboard?
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Frank’s Crank or??

I have two of Lynn Dudenbostel's winders: One for guitar (maple) and one for mandolin (cherry). Lynn usually puts an ad up in the classifieds a few times a year and hopefully, he will soon list a few...
  19. Re: How do you like your armrests (aesthetically)

Ebony almost always looks nice if it is uniform black and very finely sanded. My favorite (tied with ebony) would be a flamed maple or birdseye maple (whatever the figure is in your mandolin's back...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick technique

There are pick-stroke rules (pick-stroke rules can vary with certain time signatures) but there are also exceptions for those rules. One exception is when you want to "punch" out a passage, a run of...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: 30 tunes you should know!

It's an extremely well done and informative video, just as all of David's videos are. His videos are an absolute must for mandolinists, IMO.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Al Petteway

Al was a gifted guitarist, composer, and photographer, a true animal lover, a kind human being, and loving husband to Amy White. God rest his beautiful soul and I pray for strength and healing for...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing at outside wedding

I use my little acoustic amp (a Fender 100 watts) for weddings, inside or outside. Whether or not guests can hear you at the outdoor wedding depends on the weather, the seating, the size, the wind......
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me about radius

Here is one important thing, concerning radius, that I have learned: If the radius at the top part of the bridge, the saddle, is very radiused, many players find that curve hinders playing the...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap problem

I like the idea of attaching the strap around the headstock. I've also seen this done on guitars. It works for some people to attach at the nut, but it can get in the way of your fretting hand...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4