Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Mr and Mrs MacLean of Snaigow

Here is a version of Scottish musician and composer Dougie MacLean's lovely air written for his parents. I have recorded this along with my great friend and playing colleague Janine Ashall who takes...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Under-rated mandolin players

Given the blank looks I get when I mention Chris Thile, Mike Marshall, Carlo Aonzo - even David Grisman and Dagger Gordon! - to friends and family, I think all mandolinists are under-rated.

At...
  3. Replies
    Views

You can look at Mandolin Mondays every week (thanks David Benedict) and see very good players who often are not particularly well known and could generally be said to be somewhat under-rated. There's...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Goblin Folk 4: Walkin' Lute

First, thanks for the great responses.

Standard tuning indeed.

Surprise! Not feedback. Well, ok, it is, but not in the guitar amp feedback sense. That's the SOMA Lyra-8 synth. You'll...
  5. Replies
    Views

Yes, the truth is that I have always thought that, "what a great musician he is"... he has recorded things that surpass in performance quality those of many "professional musicians" who are often...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

Good points, especially when it comes to forumspeak.....:whistling:

I think on this forum we have a better than average grasp on language basics, especially when compared to other music and...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

I was working in Florence some time back and was sitting in a park one morning playing the F-style mandolin I brought with me overseas.

A couple of Italian old boys came by to see what I was...
  8. Replies
    Views

Goblin Folk 4: Walkin' Lute

This is the fourth song of my Goblin Folk project, where I use electric & acoustic mandolin family instruments to create music that feral woodland humanoids would enjoy. It's a take on Andante Lute,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs. Dots

OK, dots means standard notation. It's a really good thing to learn to read standard notation. I learned it when I took classical guitar lessons. There are several major advantages over tablature. It...
  10. Re: Best practices for starting to attend an Irish session

I have gone to a session where I couldn't play a single tune. I was taught to respectfully ask if I could record on my phone to learn the tunes and enjoy the show - Then go back home and learn those...
  11. Replies
    Views

The Peeler and the Goat

Here's a lovely slide that I first learned on the concertina from Cormac Begley. I was messing around with it this morning in a few different keys and discovered I really like it in C minor on the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Thanks my friends! Here's another great John Reischman tune. Thanks to Tim Sweeney for turning me on to John. Thanks for the Listen!~o)~o)~o):mandosmiley: ...
  13. Re: Best practices for starting to attend an Irish session

Generally speaking, when I remain sensitive and try to figure out WHY a session is run a bit "differently" than I expected or am used to, I look closely and notice that there are reasons that usually...
  14. I knew that bolt action Mandola wouldn't last long!

15. Thread: What Tempo?

by Bren
    Replies
    Views

Re: What Tempo?

(by the way, Fisher's Hornpipe and Devils Dream are well established in the American tradition, the latter known as "De'il Among the Tailors" in Scotland)
  16. Thread: What Tempo?

by Bren
    Replies
    Views

Re: What Tempo?

Indeed Ranald, we foreigners sometimes call it "the Canadian national fiddle tune" but we still mix it with Scots and Irish tunes at the ceilidhs.

Outside of formal dances and competitions,...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gender

May I humbly remark that, when using other languages for comparison, one should be careful not to confuse grammatical and natural gender; they are not necessarily identical. A number of grammatically...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Gender

Ever since the removal of the fretboard extension, mine's been confused.
  19. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

I have that book, "The Scottish Violinist" which is in fact a book of selected JSS compositions from several of his collections, and some of his variations on tunes like "East Neuk of Fife".
    It's a...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Robin Williamson mandolin

In one big island: England, Scotland, Wales
    In a separate big island: Ireland (the Republic, and the 6 counties north)
    My understanding is: Great Britain is England, Scotland Wales
    The United...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestions for a wedding march

"I am assuming from the OP that he is the only musician."
    I may have a guitar player and singer, but the mandolin will be doing the heavy lifting.

"I'm curious about the taste and ethnic...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Robin Williamson mandolin

Scotland is a part of Great Britain.
  23. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

Funny you suggest that - I'd do the reverse, since the next section begins in the upper range, and the top line of the ending puts one in position for that, whereas the bottom line sets one up for...
  24. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

Hear it played here by Dave Swarbrick at around 2:26/

https://youtu.be/1upYyh4J7R4?si=zkVEnhC9xYmmSCIL
  25. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

It’s now in second edition 1 jan 2013.

Same tune here: https://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=tunearch.org/wiki/Pittengardner%27s_Rant.no-ext/0001
    Good luck! :)
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4