Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Set up UK

Try http://www.navaguitars.co.uk/archtop_mando.html
    Sorry, I have no personal experience other than Gary's help on my post on this forum. He is a member here.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: tenor ukulele question

I've built ukes a while back, and did a fair amount of research at the time. In general, tenors and even concerts will have a bridge patch/plate, but some sopranos do not, depending on who builds...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Am i being unreasonable?

I can't believe that bridge! Looks like he's made no effort whatsoever to "fit" it properly. He's not a luthier, maybe a guitar tech who has no experience with archtops. Stay well away.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: What's up with that truss rod?

Looking carefully at the enlarged pictures, it appears there are hex lines on the inside of the nut, indicating it is an Allen key/wrench that is required. I would try and remove some of the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave mandolin finished.

Yes it is Maurice, I ended up doing a trial string up with a temporary tailpiece, thanks and everything went well. The intonation is not far from perfect.
    Mike
  6. Replies
    Views

Octave mandolin finished.

Just completed this build. Thought I'd try something a little different.
    Western Red cedar top, English walnut back and sides.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin fixed bridge compensation?

As MrMoe has just reminded me of this thread, here's an update. The bridge position (and saddle slot angle determined)has now been located using the trial string up method as suggested above. I had...
  8. Replies
    Views

Octave Mandolin fixed bridge compensation?

Hi everyone, I'm building an octave mandolin with a guitar shape similar to the Pono models. 21" scale length so what would you add to this as compensation, to the leading edge of the saddle.
    I know...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Well hopefully a couple of pictures I tried to post earlier, my 3rd mando build and the start of a new guitar body OM project.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

my 3rd mando finished at last, a 2 point . Ready to start a guitar body OM next.191453,
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Equipment advice please

I agree with Marty. I had a 10/20 and replaced it with a 16/32 with the sand smart feature. It is a far better and more powerful machine. Aside from that, the 10/20 has a history of failing lead...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Drilling out the top

I'm no expert, as I've just finished my 3rd carved top mandolin, but I had this problem on my first build, so I used a larger dowel around 20mm and made a very gentle dome on the top. A little extra...
  13. Re: Stewmac router binding jig - experiences anyone?

Nick, the bearing was a later addition to replace the wooden one I made initially. It has bearings and helps the jig run more smoothly, and I can't quite remember but I think I got it from Ebay. Mike
  14. Re: Stewmac router binding jig - experiences anyone?

Here are some more pics, I know it looks like it's thrown together but it works, and if the main structure looks odd at the back, it's because I used an old hood from a shop built drum sander. The...
  15. Re: Stewmac router binding jig - experiences anyone?

And yes it can be done that way on a flat top, but e.g. on the back of a guitar which is quite arched and tapered towards the neck, then it becomes difficult to keep the binding channel perpendicular...
  16. Re: Stewmac router binding jig - experiences anyone?

Yes Nick, it rides up and down the slides(that is their purpose) and follows the contour of the instrument body, just as the Stewmac jig, and obviously the depth of the cutter can be adjusted too by...
  17. Replies
    Views

Drilling peghead for tuners.

I'm pretty sure this had been asked before but I can't find a definitive answer by searching online. Do any of you drill the size of the bushing hole all the way through the peghead. E.g. If the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: First builds finished at last.

Not so much a talented woodworker, but an enthusiastic amateur instrument builder. Although these are my first mandolin builds they are not my first instruments, as I said in my earlier posts. Over...
  19. Replies
    Views

First builds finished at last.

Just like to thank all who helped me along the way, with my many questions, all of which you've heard many times before. Far from perfect but overall I'm pleased and glad to say they sound like...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Time to practice hand rubbed sunburst

Just an update for anyone else who might be interested in learning this technique. I took Steve Sorensen's advice and sealed a top with shellac, and this worked far better. I was surprised that the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed neck recommendation

Tru-oil, 4 or 5 coats then buff with 0000 steel wool.
  22. Re: My only Mandolin's nut got damaged, what is my best option?

The obvious remedy is a new nut as stated above, but if it's only a very small chip, it might be possible to repair it by making a filler with CA glue and baking soda, then refiling the slot. This is...