Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

First adventure in building: mandola

I recently finished up my first instrument, and thought I'd post some pictures. It is a mandola with a 16" scale length, built to plans drawn by my friend James Curtis and with his assistance to keep...
  2. Replies
    Views

Original piece on mandocello and mandola

My friend Daniel and myself have been working on some new music lately, and I'm starting to put a few videos up on youtube. Have a look and see what you think! Apologies for the buzzes, both...
  3. Re: "A City Called  Blue"--  find a lost song

Alright, so I'm not familiar with this song, but I saw your post and thought it could be a fun challenge to do a bit of sleuthing. Looks like it was from an album called " A Country Boy Looks Down...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Refretting an Eastman

During a recent intensive overhaul of my main mandolin (one which I keep meaning to describe in its own thread) I re-radiused the board to 9" and refretted with Evo Gold. Don't remember what gauge,...
  5. Re: Is there such a thing as a traveller mandolin?

DavidKOS beat me to it, but if you want to drool over some crazy mandolin eye candy you should check out the Unger pocket-mandolin thread. I couldn't say that I'd want to use anything made by Doug...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: My mandolin drawing

That's beautifully done Christine. Really lovely detail! Did you use mostly pencil, or powdered graphite? I've always enjoyed drawing with graphite for the detail and nuance you can get with it, but...
  7. Re: Which music shops to visit - Atlanta and Nashville?

Another good word for Cotten. I bought my Elkhorn from them a couple years ago and couldn't have been happier. I haven't been in person, but would love to. Kim was a wonderful person to buy an...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Fiddle tunes in all keys?

I know you were leaving out minors, but I learned a great slip jig from a banjo player in Ireland called Farewell to Whalley Range thats in F#m. Written by Mike McGoldrick. Here's a video of himself...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Dealing With Spouse

I appreciate Pete Jenner bringing this up. I don't think anyone was saying that the good-natured humor in this thread was anything but, and I certainly didn't read any comments as hateful of women,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: I still don`t believe it...

I too have to chime in with a word of defense for my 'younger generation'. My view might be a tad biased as one who has always had a deep interest in history and tradition, devouring piles of history...
  11. Re: Has anyone built a mandolin trying to get the most bass possi

What, you mean like this?123485

Bill Bussman, of course, to give due credit for the bass-iest mandolin I've ever seen...
  12. Thread: Hell

by Neoclinus
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hell

I'm sure this has turned up before...121178
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin and hurdy gurdy combo?

Andy Irvine plays hurdy gurdy and I believe did some songs with Planxty on one. Though since he's the main mandolin/zouk player I don't know about combinations of those instruments. I know that he...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Performing with blondes, and tortoise binding

Well chosen! My baby is also a blond with tortoise, and I think it's a great look. I too am not usually a huge fan of sunbursts (though I have seen exceptions) and prefer to see the grain and color...