Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Help Researching Unusual Mandolin

Thanks for everyone's input. It's really interesting. Planning to hang onto it as a family heirloom - the F-hole was the one the grandfather played the most.

The grandfather who played it lived...
  2. Replies
    Views

And separately, here are some pictures of the bowlback, which looks like a Fernando del Perugia from 1912 (?) 1962 (?)...

My wife's aunt says she bought the mandolin for her dad while studying...
  3. Replies
    Views

Here's some looks inside the F-hole. I looked around pretty closely and don't see any markings, though there is a good layer of dust...

4. Replies
    Views

Help Researching Unusual Mandolin

Hiya,

I inherited this unusual mandolin from my wife's family.

Her grandfather played this mandolin in the 40s and 50s, and her aunt said it was made by a family friend but she doesn't know...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Customs fees?

I recently purchased a used banjo from a private individual (not a retail shop) shipped from Ireland to the western US. "Declared value" was $600 and shipping with An Post was $107 with no VAT and I...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: F hole on the side?

I never know whether to start a new topic or piggy back on an existing one, but...

My wife's grandfather apparently played the mandolin and on a recent trip to Seattle, I was given two mandolins. ...
  7. Replies
    Views

Artistworks through your library

My local library (and a bunch of others in the Utah network) uses a service called "Overdrive" and "Libby" to reserve and access electronic books and audiobooks through a phone app or the website. ...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: A-Model Archtop Oval Hole $500-1000

To follow up on this, I ended up buying a used, mint Eastman 504 w/ hardshell case for $525 delivered, which I thought was a good price since it's basically new.

It's not an American, handmade...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: A-Model Archtop Oval Hole $500-1000

Thank you to everyone who responded. It was really helpful. A couple of follow-up responses...

* I didn't see that Pomeroy in time, but it looked like a great option.

* Someone pointed out to...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings MT vs Pava A

I thought about and played a used Collings before I bought my Pava. I’m happy I waited - it cured MAS. I’m continually amazed at how much easier it is to play than the entry level mandolins I...
  11. Re: Sierra Hull's Turkey In The Straw Theme and others...

Roland - Thanks! That was too kind! I was out of cell and internet for the long weekend. I'll definitely try using Audacity in the future. I'm sure the transcribing will help with training my...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Chop Chords

Why not?

A 2245 (bar 22 pointer, ring 4, pinky 5)
    Am 2235 (bar 22 pointer, middle 3, pinky 5)
    A7 2243 (bar 22 pointer, middle 4, ring 3)

Your pointer never moves.

or
  13. Tip: Replacing Book Bindings with Spiral Bindings

Maybe this is common knowledge but...

I had an old Fiddler's Fakebook with a plastic spiral binding that was falling apart. Someone told me they had theirs replaced at Kinkos/Fedex so I took it...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Tab of Fifths

Maybe this is a more useful way to view it on the key of G:

15. Replies
    Views

Tab of Fifths

For tab enthusiasts... I'm always looking for patterns for summarizing things and was trying to visualize the mandolin symmetry and the Circle of Fifths when you shift the scale patterns up or down a...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: quick key change question

Thanks for all of your replies. That really helps.
  17. Replies
    Views

Training the Mind

Hey everyone,

I'm having three different mental problems:

1. Thinking
    I'll be going on just fine, following the music and as soon as I have a specific thought I make a mistake. Particularly...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Sam Bush vs Sierra Hull right hand

Thanks for everyone's responses. Interesting stuff.
  19. Replies
    Views

Sam Bush vs Sierra Hull right hand

Hi,

I was struck by the right hand range of motion differences in this video between these two players (starts around 1:50):
    https://youtu.be/_aQonnNSATk

Sam is really cranking back and forth....
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Online Sites For Learning

This is an old thread but my two cents since signing up for the free trial at Banjo Ben and then buying a year subscription to Mike Marshall's ArtistWorks on super sale on Xmas eve (cheaper than 6...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Pick Sampler 2 has been mailed to thecelloronin. Here's the sampler waiting list:

Sampler II
    thecelloronin - will receive shortly
    rowka
    Rdeane
  22. Replies
    Views

I've only been playing for 9 months and only recently discovered how much a pick can change everything. I like my three current picks (Dunlop 2.0 Big Stubby, Pro Plec 1.5, Pickboy 150) from my local...
  23. Replies
    Views

Received! Thanks! The first picture is all of the picks; the second, a sample of the sampler.

24. Replies
    Views

Loar / Kentucky comparison

I recently came across a good deal on a used Kentucky 950 (not on this site) so even though my skills don't match the mandolin, I bought it to complement or replace my Loar 220. Seeing as comparison...