Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What qualities does a Neapolitan mandolin have?

Mike I deeply respect your moderation and personal opinions.:)

I agree about heavy electric basses - I've even had my luthier buddy hollow out the back of my fretless J bass. BTW, it sounds...
  2. Replies
    Views

Oldest L-5! Lloyd Loar Signature!Analysis

This is a fantastic analysis of a recently discovered L-5 which turned out to be the oldest known example! It was signed on February 28th 1923 and was in remarkable shape- just a 1940s tailpiece and...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: A Pair of Ceccherini's

Good new demo of the one that's currently for sale.
    https://youtu.be/mVP-vu6ffRM
  4. Re: Complete Noob - Discovered Grandpa’s bowl back mandolin !

The big issues with your grandpa's mandolin would be condition, particularly neck action.

I'm one of the folks that plays bowlbacks regularly, mostly Italian music, choro, Klezmer, and classical....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Regal Le Domino Mandolin C.1933

I missed out on owning a Le Domino uke. My step-father owned it and I took the teens Martin uke instead. It was like the dark ones on this site. The original Stewarts.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Doyle Lawson

It's all right here.
  7. Replies
    Views

Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

It took a good long while and more wheeling and dealing (and spousal apologizing) than I've ever done, but I've managed to put together a full Lyon & Healy Quartet.

All are player grade - the...
  8. Paul Hostetter's website is available ....

I am SO happy to see that Paul Hostetter's website is again available; when I last looked 5 or 6 months ago, it was not. It's a wonderful resource, and he was a frequent poster here.

IIRC, his...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap for bowl back

Frankly you don't need a strap with a bowlback...seriously. You can even stroll without a strap.
  10. Thread: Bowl back science

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Bowl back science

Interesting to see someone investigating the science of bowlbacks https://brill.com/view/journals/ijwc/2/1-3/article-p1_1.xml
  11. Replies
    Views

I'm right here!

There are two Ceccherinis in my profile picture, although one of them has been sold since then to one of the other players in our mandolin group -- I see it every week. We...
  12. Replies
    Views

Other way around, the older 24 fret one has the English label with the serial number, the Italian label without the number is on the newer 22 fret one.

Yes same size.

Haha, I've had a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: The Queen's Welcome to Invercauld

Many thanks, Mick. Bothies traditionally were basic farm buildings where the workers were housed, a bit like the bunkhouse that featured in so many of the cowboy films I feasted on as a youngster. ...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: The Queen's Welcome to Invercauld

Brunello , a bothy was a kind of hut or outhouse for farm workers. Hence the great northeast Scotland tradition of "bothy ballads" - often comic, but sometimes tragic songs and stories of rural...
  15. Replies
    Views

The Queen's Welcome to Invercauld

This is a James Scott Skinner fiddle composition I have adapted to octave mandolin and guitar. The Queen in the title is Victoria, not the recently departed Elizabeth, who passed away very near to...
  16. Replies
    Views

A Pair of Ceccherini's

One of these I've been playing for while, the other is newly restored, not often you get two of these in the same place at the same time!

In addition to the level of decoration, the main...
  17. Early 1900s University of Washington Mandolins

I work at the University of Washington and came across some old photos of campus and had to scan this one in for you all.

I thought it was interesting to find five mandolins in this... Orchestra?...
  18. Replies
    Views

Howe-Orme Model Specs

Greetings all. I couldn't locate a recent H-O thread to include this on, so creating a new post here - the goal just to get this archived somewhere besides my office. I stumbled on this yesterday...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian Mandolin music being forgotten ???

when it gets to the USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Fs7_pied4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqA4IviTEwQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRCYp9Lft8c
  20. Replies
    Views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqA4IviTEwQ

and from my hometown!
  21. Replies
    Views

It's that time again, kids. Where else is this being celebrated on the internets?

Searching around for information on the man and ended up here. Don't think I've seen that page in 15 years.
  22. Replies
    Views

Metsäkukkia - Finnish waltz

This is a popular Finnish waltz composed in 1931 by Viljo Vesterinen.
  23. 1930s René Gerome French flatback mandolin

I acquired this via French site Leboncoin - some interesting instruments can appear there but you usually need a French phone number and mailing address.

It needed some attention: raising the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: 1908 Calace?

As others have said, I'm quite certain it is fake based solely on the fact that the label (ignoring for a moment that it is clearly hand drawn) is dated with a Ballpoint pen, which obviously would...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Tonight! . . . If you happen to be near central Ohio. I'm among the "friends" in this tremendously diverse chamber-music-with-guitar concert: Karl Wohlwend and Friends. My time on stage will be...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4