Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Help me date a Lyon & Healy C model

With that number, I would put it in the early to mid 1920's.
    We do not have any detailed lists of L & H numbers that I know of, so we have no way of narrowing it down to an exact year.
    These are...
  2. Replies
    Views

Looking for mandolin

Hello,

I am looking for a particular instrument that I use to own. It was an Embergher 5bis model by Nuova Liuteria Romana. I sold it here on the Cafe classifieds a long time ago (2012?)....
  3. Replies
    Views

Astor Piazzola on Mandolin

A year ago, the orchestra I play with in Athens Greece (MandolinARTE) performed its last concert before the pandemic (ahhhh good times).

Anyway, we played a beautiful piece of music from the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mazzaccara Classico A style mandolin

5. Replies
    Views

Mazzaccara Classico A style mandolin

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I’ve been reading and learning so much from this site since I started playing about six years ago, such a wealth of information. I’ve just acquired a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical mandolin album library list

I would add:

Alison Stephens Music for Mandolin (1991) – CD-SAR53

Vienna Nocturne by the Mair-Davis Duo

Barry
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Gertrud Tröster - Jiro Nakano - Calace

I love these recordings, especially the Calace. She delivers the Nakano repertoire with her customary skill, but I'm simply a little less fond of Nakano's solos than Calace's. I also like the sound...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Gertrud Köster - Jiro Nakano - Calace

Hi Rob,

The two recordings you mention are, in my opinion, among the very best and most important ever made of classical mandolin. The Calace is the most important, again in my opinion. There...
  9. Replies
    Views

Gertrud Tröster - Jiro Nakano - Calace

Edit: Tröster not Koster!! Can someone edit the thread title, please?

This recording of Jiro Nikano's solo mandolin music might not be news to anyone here, but for me it is a revelation. I'd read...
  10. Re: Lyon & Healy Style A #1674 1925 - looking for info

I had never been a fan of Thomastik mandolin strings. I tried them on my Gibson in the 1980s and hated them. However, after some resistance I put a set of mediums on my Washburn Pro A and would never...
  11. Re: Lyon & Healy Style A #1674 1925 - looking for info

Hi TIm,
    I sent you a link. I haven’t done the complete tour through these kinds of strings, and each instrument responds uniquely anyway. I have played the Calace, the Lenzner, and the Thommastiks,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Owen Hartford Retrospective: Music for Mandolins

This is a concert in honor of Owen Hartford, one of the most prolific modern American composers for plucked strings ensemble. Six ensembles – the...
  13. Hampton Trio: US Premiere of Rie Muto, "Koyoi Sakura"

This is from a recent performance by the Hampton Trio in western MA. The piece (very lovely) is "Koyoi Sakura" by Rie Muto, who is well-known and prolific composer for plucked strings in Japan. For...
  14. The Hampton Trio at the Hingham (MA) Library: Lully Suite

Here is a video of the Hampton Trio's recent performance at the Hingham (MA) Library "Sunday Sounds" concert series of an arrangement of a "Suite" by Lully, the French baroque composer. The...
  15. Replies
    Views

Estudiantina Bergamasca

Dear mandolinist friends around the world,

as summer slowly turns into autumn, I am delighted to share with you news that is both good and seasonally fruitful: I have just delivered a short...
  16. 6 Italian Duets with Bass accompaniment - Luigi Cherubini 1760-18

A set of 6 vocal duets with bass accompaniment, arranged for two mandolins and guitar (or other 'bass' instrument)

The duets are quite straightforward, both technically and harmonically, with a...
  17. Konrad Wölki (1939): Kleine Suite in G-Dur, Op. 39

Konrad Wölki (1904-1983): Kleine Suite in G-Dur, Op. 39 (1939)
    I. Bourrée - Allegro moderato 0:00
    II. Sarabande - Andante 1:39
    III. Menuett - Allegro moderato 3:32

This is a short and simple...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Strings for Calace Mandolin

Agreed on the toothiness of Dogals. ;) They are round-wound, after all. My problem with them-- and I fully take the blame for it-- is that the sonority changes a bit too abruptly going from the D- to...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian - German Mandolin Technique

I think it is important to point out that you are referring to technical materials. If one looks at Leone, Denis, Gervasio or Munier and Calace methods you will find the same exercises that Marlo...
  20. Replies
    Views

I think it is imoprtant to realise that the methods being talked about are thoroughly modern approaches using modern sensibilities to approach what for most of us is a modern version of an instrument...
  21. Replies
    Views

For me as a mandolinist and musicologist some of the texts I see above don't just answer a question. Instead they create history and are a sign of mechanisms of canonization. On that topic a lot of...
  22. Replies
    Views

Although it is true that the majority of German classical mandolinists use Seiffert-style instruments that have "a little wider fretboard", with flatwound strings, and the Wolle pick, these physical...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Tracks of San Francisco Italian Mandolin Masters

Bill....My husband Gino Pellegrini is on these recordings playing with Nick Sfarzo and Lawrence Andrini and has always played these numbers and actually did the recordings on reel to reel. I can...
  24. Replies
    Views

Hi all,

I like to inform you about a special concert this Sunday, June 21st, starting at 13.10 hours, in the Filmzaal of the Zuiderzeemuseum in Enkhuizen (NL) given by two Dutch mandolinists,...
  25. Replies
    Views

Yesterday I was delighted to attend a performance shared by the New American Mandolin Ensemble and the Munier Mandolin Orchestra in the environs of Philadelphia; among the works performed was my...
Page 1 of 2 1 2