Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Help Researching Unusual Mandolin

I just decided to go through Mike Holmes long list of old luthiers (for various instruments) and culled out those in WA and OR:

I know it is a long list and some may not have made any...
  2. Replies
    Views

Not looking to be picky, but ...

Yes, the replacement tailpiece is off-center. The bad effect is that, where the strings pass over the bridge, the A (2nd) course is almost straight while the G &...
  3. Replies
    Views

Looking at the tuners, the pickguard material, and the wood used as well as the family memory of it being played in the 40's and 50's I would assume 30-40's simply because that firestripe pickguard...
  4. Replies
    Views

I would conclude that the hardware on the mandolin cannot be used to date it and I would assume that the family knowledge of when it was first played back in the 1940s is when it was made. It has...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I Sell?

Although there are plenty of comments and threads on the Café of regrets about selling an instrument, I honestly don't recall any that expressed regrets about not selling an instrument. The only...
  6. Replies
    Views

Looks like the tailpiece in not original based on the other holes drilled in the end. Looks like there might be some wood loss from the lower wing of the "F-hole" too.
    A very interesting mandolin...
  7. Replies
    Views

Very cool looking mandolin and it looks well-made as well. I have seen a few other mandolins with sound holes on the side and perhaps even one or two with no sound holes on the top.

Looks like...
  8. Thread: Should I Sell?

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

Re: Should I Sell?

A lot of the answer depends on your budget. If you can afford to acquire a new instrument without selling an old one, you have more flexibility.
    If you don't play an instrument for a long time,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Measuring Humidity... What's a Guy To Do?

Oh jeez this is beginning to look like a well-known guitar forum where there are 2 - 3 humidity posts per day......

A hygrometer is like a watch - when you have more than one you never really know...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull tour

I just saw her on Saturday night in Pittsburgh ... it was nothing short of incredible.

The musicianship was just over the top...it’s a four piece band: Sierra on mandolin family instruments and...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrade Benefits?

Well, my first mandolin was an LM-220. Still have it. They are good mandolins. What do you get when you pay more? Depends on what you might be looking for. From the couple of Eastman MD-805 models...