Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Online String Tension Calculator?

https://tension.stringjoy.com/
  2. Advice about Greek Mandolins from The Bouzouki Shop Polydorou?

Anybody experienced with mandolins from "The Bouzouki Shop Polydorou" in Athens, Greece ?
    These mandolins are supposedly made by D. Polydorou, which is the same as the name of the shop. Their back...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Gig bag for mandola?

Thanks AllenHopkins, I checked the bags you recommended.

> My mandola's a bit bigger than yours

Actually, my mandola is wider, so unfortunately it doesn't fit into these bags. Its width is 31...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatwound strings for 17'' Mandola

Amos, what did you end-up using? (I have the same problem)
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatwound strings for 17'' Mandola

I have not tried myself, but in Elderly's website they claim that Thomastik 164 and 174L have almost the same gauges, while the 174L have way longer strings with more distance between the loop and...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Source for single Thomastik strings?

I often order Thomastiks from Schneidermusik in Germany. They have Thomastik sets and single strings and the prices are cheaper than in the US.
    I don't know what the shipping rates are to the US, as...
  7. Re: Radiused fretboard with straight bridge on a Kentucky

I really like Thomastik mandolin strings and use them on all my other mandolins as well. On this Kentucky KM-272, the Thomastiks don't buzz, while the original strings that came with the mandolin...
  8. Radiused fretboard with straight bridge on a Kentucky

I just bought a new Kentucky KM-272 mandolin from Elderly. I think Elderly have "pro-Setup" it.
    While the Action looks quite low, the strings feel tight. I changed the original strings to Thomastik...
  9. Replies
    Views

Mandolin changing its color with time

I have been playing a Romanian mandolin for the last 30 years. I carried it with me and played it everywhere when I got an opportunity - on the beach, near bonfires, performances, etc.
    Not long...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: "The Greatest Mandolin Performance Ever"

This is really awesome playing... The emotions and virtuosity.

https://youtu.be/rS5wtEhIUlg
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Alternating Melody and drone notes

I just prepared a short video for you of what I called "Alternate Droning". Please excuse the video quality and the sloppy playing, as I did it quickly "on the spot" for this reply.
    I don't know how...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Hi Timbofoot, indeed you have missed them. Here they are:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?117767-The-Traveling-Pick-Sampler-Anyone-Interested&p=1500764&viewfull=1#post1500764
  13. Replies
    Views

I received a message from Hossamassey at 14 July 2016, that he received the picks. It seems they survived the cross-Atlantic travels :)
  14. Replies
    Views

Thanks to everyone contributing to the Traveling Pick Sampler and especially to "jhowell" for sending me the picks!
    I finished testing them and sent a private message to "hossamassey" who is the...
  15. Replies
    Views

I would really like to be added to the list. How do I do that? I saw that Caleb was the initiator, should I PM him with my address?
    I live in Israel, so it's a little far, but I would gladly pay for...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Identifying and pricing an old bowlback

Thanks everybody
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Identifying and pricing an old bowlback

Thanks Allen. His grandmother was living in Israel.
  18. Thread: Thanks Button?

by Sevelos
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thanks Button?

The "Thanks" button reminds me of the "Like" button in Facebook. However, "Thanks" is more - to me, it means I actually benefitted from a post rather than just "Liked" it.
    I do "Thanks" people...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Shure SM57 - good mic for home recording? Live?

Objectsession - if you analyze the sound of a musical instrument, you will find that it contains the fundamental frequency and its harmonics + noise (see - Additive Synthesis). The noise is quite...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Roland Mini Cube with mandolin

Don't have a mandolin with me (currently visiting Tokyo) and there were none in the music amplifier shop, so I tried all these amps with an acoustic guitar hoping that it sounds similar enough.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: I found a mandolin shop in Tokyo

JeffD - in the mandolin shop I visited there was only a single bowl-back. No bowl-backs in the guitar shops. I bet there are other shops oriented towards classical musicians, with bowl-back...
  22. Replies
    Views

I found a mandolin shop in Tokyo

I am posting this to help people living/visiting Tokyo find a good mandolin shop. I was not able to find a mandolin shop on the web, only several mandolin-builders.

KUROSAWA MUSIC...
  23. Re: Learning on a High Action or Low Action Stringed Instrument.

I agree with the opinions above - better train with low action (but without buzzing).
    Like some of the people here, I also played many years a mandolin with a relatively high action. Now, having...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Side sound hole

Side ports are a fascinating subject! Following this thread, I just spent several hours reading about them. Here's a good (guitar) thread, for example:...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: double vs single courses?

Just one point:
    David Lewis - The double courses are not only for volume. The tremolo sounds much smoother with double courses than with single strings because while the pick touches one of the...
Page 1 of 2 1 2