Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Pro Plec 1.5

I do and the ProPlec recently found it's way back onboard, after a Wegen being primary for over a year. I had some new strings with some brightness that needed to be tamed.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomas (Skip) Kelly?

Can't be out of line. I received my two-point two years ago this coming June and it continues to be the most amazing instrument I know of. Blessed and thankful to play it every day.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is the A string always jacked up?

I think it's a "2nd highest string" thing. Not only are my mandolin A strings always the culprit, on my guitars it's always the B string
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: When to upgrade from beginner mandolin?

My upgrade came when I found myself fighting for tone every time I played. I needed something that would full reveal me as the obstacle to good sound and let me know that any deficiencies I heard...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Performing in a sport coat

My regular gigging band is an Outlaw Country bit. We do all the embroidered shirts and jackets. Pearl snaps on most shirts, belt buckles, western boots. I must naturally hold my mando off to the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Physics and not-banjos

7. Punch Brothers / Bele Fleck - Christmas Medley

Priceless

https://youtu.be/JdNm2Lxu-bw
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra on Fretboard Journal

I hear you. I started to develop a similar use of this technique in my current outlaw country band. The rest of the band are guitarists who don't really play with mandolin inclusivity in mind. I had...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: You have never seen a mandolin like this

I've never seen a thread like this
  10. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

Gotta be that $50,000 Randy Wood two-point
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/194006#194006

Looks just like my baby, except with all that inlay work I love. My Kelley is almost identical in the...
  11. Thread: Pick Talk

by Mitch Stein
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Talk

I got a black Wegen 150 for Christmas last year that has been my exclusive pick on my Kelley the whole year. I switch off on other instruments but that Wegen has been enough magic for fifteen shows...
  12. Thread: Pick Talk

by Mitch Stein
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Talk

It almost sounds like some of those expressing confusion actually do understand. You try picks. You see what you like and how they perform on different strings and different grips. In the process,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Live Mic for Mandolin Recommendations

The "Race up Loud Mountain" is a tough nut to crack. It comes with related attitude that also refuses to jibe with a mandolin. As mentioned in many-a-thread, the mandolin is not just a tiny...
  14. Re: Resale Value - Mandolins from Small Builders

Unlike a lot of things, mandolins don't have an automatic reduction in quality over time so a builder known for making a solid instrument will have used instruments regularly go for similar prices as...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: DO I need a better mandolin?

16. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite stand?

Big fan of these
    https://www.amazon.com/Hercules-UKS100B-Auto-Ukulele-Stand/dp/B00KILO6XS

I one in my gig bag and the wall mounted version for my living room
  17. Thread: Pick Boxes

by Mitch Stein
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Boxes

I have one of these for my main case. Seems strangely appropriate.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: The Punch Brothers on YouTube

There are several videos for tracks on the new album that appear to be this. They have enough differences that I believe they are recorded by the one mic you see.
    Great, great stuff. I wish there...
  19. Re: D'Addario's new Chris Thile signature mandolin pick

As an aside, I was watching a Punch Brothers video yesterday and noticed Chris holing his pick such that it stuck out about a full 1/2 inch. Personally, I never have mine sticking out more than 1/4...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: The beginnings of MAS - What's next?

If you're not sure what to go with, I suggest travel. If at all possible, find your way to a store with a wide selection and see what you think after playing them all.
  21. Re: What’s going through your mind during a solo?

I'm just trying to keep track of the chord progression and where we are in it. If I know what chords I'm supposed to be soloing over, I can usually pull something out.
  22. Re: Contemporary Christian Music with Mandolin Solo???

Since I never tossed out all my suggestions, my favorites have been

Shout And Shine - Southland Trio
    Jesus Saviour, Pilot Me - Stanley Brothers (just move the fiddle kickoff and guitar solo to...
  23. Re: Contemporary Christian Music with Mandolin Solo???

Did this one a few years back with my daughter and it went over great. This song will get up in your head. We followed up with How Great Thou Art, which also has a lot of easy walk throughs on the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Fretless mandolin?

25. Replies
    Views

Fretless mandolin?

https://youtu.be/zbIl7Rkd72Y

I'm not sure how to feel about this. Can someone tell me how I feel?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4