Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

They sound pretty similar to me in the last video although of course it's hard to tell. If Klos is reading this thread I imagine a number of us would be interested in a back to back demo comparing...
  2. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

I for one certainly won't be calling that one at a BG jam!
  3. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Near as I can tell, most of the "murdered girl ballads" are different from the murdered man ballads in that the suggested relationship is, beyond the romance, one of ownership. The man is slighted...
  4. Re: Should I visit Eastman factory and buy a mando in China?

I think Quint mandolins are made in China? You might get a better "bang for your buck" with him since he is a one man shop (I think?) and might make a deal, as well as an interesting experience. If...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

CF mandolins IME are like hen's teeth. I see zero on either reverb or ebay at the moment. I think the used examples I've noticed have been closer to 2500 than 1300. There are very few examples of...
  6. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

I would be interested to see an example of proficient playing as you describe. I believe you that it exists, but the only times I've personally observed irregular playing of this sort, it has been...
  7. Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

Seriously though I expect it has something to do with the percussive element of mandolin. Any deviation from the rhythm is a bit jarring and the likelihood you will be off rhythm increases if you...
  8. Re: British guy here – how should I spend $10,000?

Dagger's suggestion to look domestically could make sense. Or rather than travel to the States maybe it's more practical to go across the channel? IDK how much a Giacomel is new, but I believe...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Request for a few standards for jams

In the pines
    Rank Stranger

also maybe
    White Dove
    Drifting too far from the Shore
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Je reviens te chercher - Gilbert Bécaud

very nice. I had not heard it before. Thanks for posting
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY

Yeah, Wednesday evenings can be tough, but try to make it if you can. I'm sure plenty of people there would be interested in a side jam situation if you put it out there. I know one guy mentioned...
  12. Re: map of acoustic instrument dealers worth a visit

Hi Scott, yes, same idea just with retail stores instead of camps. Let me know if my link above is not working.
    hmm, not sure why I can't edit post #2, but would like to add that fiddle heavy shops...
  13. Re: map of acoustic instrument dealers worth a visit

Thanks! I will add these suggestions. I'm thinking the map could be a nationwide (worldwide?) resource for anybody to use, not just for me. However, since you asked, I will be driving from more or...
  14. Re: map of acoustic instrument dealers worth a visit

Ok, so it seems pretty easy. I've added a few I have visited in my area & elsewhere, and a few I've heard good things about on the cafe, at this link:
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Tiny adult wants to learn bluegrass!

You could also get ongoing feedback directly from Sierra. I have not taken her course but have had a good experience on Artist Works (NFI) with other instructors. Happy picking!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Tiny adult wants to learn bluegrass!

I think most anybody at a jam would be super excited if you showed up with a piccolo mando, especially if you could rip on it. I am by no means an expert grasser, but I usually chop with 3 finger...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Hudson Valley NY

I was hoping CD3 would come through the area on their tour. Sadly it looks like I'll be out of town... bummer.
  18. Replies
    Views

I raised the nut on the Gretsch with an extender and was playing it as an acoustic lap steel (hence C7 tuning):
  19. Thread: Selling price

by Stopstop
    Replies
    Views

Re: Selling price

Hopefully you can get them out into the world one way or another. It's sad to think of them not being played, unable to realize their potential.
  20. Replies
    Views

There's an open jam at the Ashokan Center on Sunday the 21st. Not sure if you are around then.

I live in the area and can hook you up if a beat up Gretch honey dipper works for what you need. ...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: What is this pick?

Looks a lot like the the Golden Gate horn picks. I have not tried them, but there was a horn pick in #1 that got me thinking about it.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: AI chat for music, is it any good? ChatGPT?

I asked it to write me a fiddle tune called "Old Joe Clark loves Little Liza Jane" hoping for... I don't know, some kind of interesting hybrid? It didn't really understand music & could not give me...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Is shifting up one fret ok?

I've been working on half past four recently too. Great tune. If I understand you correctly you are talking about the run which includes the accidental G (the third bar of the A section). I play...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: 2,000-year-old Vietnamese instrument

and all this time I thought Pete Drake invented the talk box...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

I received sampler #1 today.
Page 1 of 2 1 2