Search:

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Acoustic guitar forum

Clear your cookies, close all your tabs, websites, etc and try again. There must be a contact form over there like there is here if you have a prob.
  2. Re: Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mist

A nice problem, if you can swing it keep it, maybe the vendor will give you a discount on it. I’ve had my F5M since 2014 and love it.
  3. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Well I vote a resounding no on banning songs/tunes/instruments/hats… Who decides and where does it stop? Plenty of tunes I don’t care for but when they are called I support the person calling them...
  4. Re: Christmas gift ideas for my daughter / Mandolin related?

Northfield has some nice hoodies and t-shirts. David Benedict used to sell hoodies and Mandolessons had some nice ones too. Unless you have already bought a strap check out El Dorado straps and of...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin music for Halloween

One of these holidays I’m gonna work on the tunes BEFORE the day is here…better get going on Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Anyway, here is Dance of the Skeleton by David McLaughlin:

eauwJYMjEzY
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Tunes common to your jam group?

This is what we are doing lately:

Little Miss Blue Eyes - Jim and Jesse
    Are you tired of me my darling - Carter Family
    Jambalaya - Hank Williams
    In the Pines
    Turkey in the straw
    Soldiers joy...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Salt Lake City Or Driggs, Idaho

Can't help with music in Driggs but if you can score a reservation Forage is one of the best restaurants I've eaten at in some time. We were in the area in Aug at Targhee Music Camp and showed up...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Jethro's Tune Intro?

Don’t know about that particular tune but you may find some info from this website of recordings of lessons with Jethro

https://robcoleman.com/jethro/index.html
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Grey Fox mud

I have noticed the same thing tmsweeney, we have a local festival that is "bluegrass" but I haven't heard one bluegrass tune the last several years. More old time, progressive, Bob Dylan, lots of...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: VERY quiet mandolin for practicing?

Just weave a cloth between the strings in front of the bridge and pick away. It’s not ideal as there is no tone feedback but it’s something. If she wants to be quiet she could study theory, don’t...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggios in Bluegrass

Having arpeggios under your fingers is always a good thing. This is a video from Christopher Henry years ago, it’s dark and gets very fast get a slowdowner (Audiostretch is a good one) and work on...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

So sorry Sue, RIP Smudge.
  13. Re: Pinky workouts for a pinky that wants to always turn?

Play tunes you know with your 2,3,and 4 fingers….and stop worrying about it it’s not like you can’t be a great player without a perfect pinky.

The ring finger and pinky share a tendon so you’ll...
  14. Re: Little Maggie, John Reischman (anyone have tabs)?

It's a very nice tune and technique to learn. Here's an old YT video, get Audiostretch and slow it down, Vidami pedal works with YT as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oZzfeetE5U
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Strum Machine vs iRealPro

I have both, if I had to choose I'd pick iRealPro since you pay for it once. iRealPro has lots of options for different genres and strumming, strum machine is pretty much boom chuck bluegrass but it...
  16. Re: Thoughts on a good Mandolin Camp for a Limey

Targhee Music Camp is back on after a 3 year hiatus. The Travelin’ McCoury’s and Mr. Sun are bands in residence and there are 20 instructors to choose from, along with workshops and nightly concerts...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Artistworks vs Peghead Nation

I wanted to add that any of these pre-recorded platforms are going to require you to mostly figure things out on your own...stop and start (loop) the video or have your nose in the TAB. If you are a...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Artistworks vs Peghead Nation

Good start, your best option is going to be online offerings. Lots of players are doing Zoom lessons and workshops now. Don Julin and Matt Flinner offer live Zoom workshops - Matt has some courses...
  19. Re: Wrecked fingers can't make 'block chords', time to quit?

Like previously stated, there are no rules. Don’t put such pressure/limits on yourself, play what you can ad who cares what anyone says - if someone insults you because you physically can’t do...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for accompanying a guitar?

Before the pandemic I played with a guitar friend weekly. I would do what I thought added to the music…I know that’s vague. When he was singing I would strum or fills, mostly inversions depending...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Henry New Monroe Improvisation Course

This thread has alot of good content, there are some early posts by Gina and she gives a very good review of these videos. Get the app Audiostretch or any other video slowdowner because Chris goes...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Herschel Sizemore passes

Such sad news, my condolences to his family and friends. Herschel was in Christopher Henry’s Monroe wks last NY Eve, its available at Chris’ YT page.

Also, the DVD instructional video has Rebecca...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD - Northfield Big Mon

Wow, congrats its a beaut!

My NF has an Engelmann top and spruce one piece back. I love it, it’s the older F5M model they made for me in 2014 and it’s loud and sounds great.

The Lakota straps...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Reasons to avoid practicing

Agree JB, I think “practicing” encompasses a vast spectrum…listening, watching, thinking, etc. I play golf and many times as I’m walking the course I’m either listening - if by myself - or humming...
  25. Thread: New Guy

by bigskygirl
    Replies
    Views

Re: New Guy

Welcome to the Cafe, if you’re interested in Monroe-style playing there are lots of threads about Chris Henry’s Monroe style curriculum he’s been doing for several years now. A great resource for...
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4