Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: New Fender (casein?) Pick

I think these new Fender picks may come from the same source as Clayton NuTone protein picks. The material, the slightly odd colours, the packaging and price are all very similar. I have a NuTone and...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: mystery bouzouki II

I think it's a Paul Hathway. I wouldn't have guessed from the body, but the headstock shape, nut and zero fret look very much like my recently-sold Hathway mandola. I think the label visible...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: DR 11 strings stockists Europe

Schneidermusik.de in Germany also have them. If you buy a few sets at a time, the cost per set comes down and the shipping probably isn't too bad.
  4. Thread: Hawk picks.

by PseudoCelt
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hawk picks.

Hawk picks are made from casein, the same as Red Bears. If you can get one, buying a Red Bear pick from the UK would cost about $42 before any taxes - that would be a more appropriate comparison.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish/Portuguese Bouzouki

According to Graham MacDonald in this thread, Dave Richardson's first octave mandolin-type instrument was made in 1970 by Gerald Short:

I also found the following info here:

There's a video...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: APC Guitar Bodied Zouk?

Café member garryireland has one (the first one?) with a cedar top. You posted in the thread about it back in August/September. ;)
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: reason for carved top

They seem more common in the UK. Stefan Sobell and Paul Shippey are probably the best known for carved top mandolins with a flat back, but Richard Osborne has also made some. I notice that they...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Supplements for dealing with finger pain?

It may be worth looking at the way you play, for example if you use unnecessary force to hold the strings down or hammer your fingers onto the fretboard rather than placing them on the strings. ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Marilyn Mair/Gary Wagner Pick's

The picks Gary Wagner makes from re-worked pre-ban tortoiseshell are not legal. I posted a comment on the page linked in the OP's post, but it's "awaiting moderation" so I'm not sure it shows up.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Portuguese guitar (cittern) as CBOM

Andy Irvine played one in the earlier days of Planxty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wS1iorel04
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomas Buchanan

Buying 5 sets of A270s from Elderly works out at approx. £7.68 per set, even taking into account the postage (a reasonable $10), VAT and "handling charge". Alternatively, you could buy strings 3...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: CBOM's, GBOM's and OM's in the wild

It looks like it was taken down from Youtube then uploaded again, so it has a different ID. This should be the right one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAp1YldsS2A
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Qustion about Modifying a KM300e

Some of the Rigel I-110s had a tuner layout like this (image from the Rigel Website).

14. Replies
    Views

Re: Has Collings ever made 2 point mandolins?

If they did, they might look something like this...
    (I did this a while ago when a similar question was asked. I don't know why I made it green)
  15. Re: Martin 15-Series Tenor Custom in Fall 2014 Elderly Catalog

The Martin TG listed in the Elderly catalogue sounds like the one called the Seth Lakeman 5-15T custom in the UK. It's pretty expensive over here - the equivalent of around $3200.

Patrick
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Tools for writing in standard notation?

I like LilyPond. It's not unlike ABC in some ways, as it uses text input rather than a GUI, but it's quite easy to use and you can write quickly and fluently once you're used to it. It's free...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Dan Hoban Mandolin

I've played this mandolin and it's very nice. The neck seemed a little larger than something like a Gibson A9, but I found it very comfortable and easy to play. The tone was good. Forsyth's have...
  18. Re: up and down strokes on tune in 2/4 with eights & sixteenths

I disagree. I would play the eighth notes in this tune as down strokes and move my hand at 16th note speed in sections of 8th notes. Dotted 8th/16th pairs would be DU.

Although Irish polkas are...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: frets for violin question

The left hand isn't the difficult part of playing the fiddle. If you're used to mandolin and have a reasonable ear, you can get used to the lack of frets and slight change in scale length very...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Lloyde Loar mandolins ???

There is an unsigned Loar in the classifieds with a $98k asking price, described as "indistinguishable from a signed Loar, apart from the label".

If the asking price for a signed Loar is something...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: More "Studies" on Practice vs Innate Ability

I think there are some incorrect assumptions about why neuroscientists or psychologists do these kinds of studies. They are not really trying to reduce musical ability to a formula. Reading what...
  22. Replies
    Views

Here are three statements from the paper that summarise the results quite well:

The authors of the study are not arguing that practice isn’t important and in fact show that more practice is...
  23. Replies
    Views

Internet articles are written by journalists, so you can’t expect either logical troubleshooting or any scientific method. You seem to be confusing a short article written by a journalist about a...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Barnes and Mullins Tenor Guitar

Apart from a different shaped headstock, it looks the same as the Ozark 3372, which has a scale length of approx. 21.5"/54cm. According to the Ozark website, the top is cedar and the back/sides are...
  25. Re: Stefan Sobell mandolins and other instruments

Here's another less common Sobell variant: a 5-string banjo-cittern/banjola-type thing. I think he's made 4 or 5 of these, none of which belong to me, unfortunately.
Page 1 of 2 1 2