Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Thick scroll

by buckhorn
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thick scroll

One of the nicest mandolins that I made had a really high carved scroll.. I have been trying to find that sound ever since.. The picker was a friend so I see the mando all the time.. About a year...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: cheap build kit

I have been offering A and F style rims and necks for almost 10 years...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Brian Aldridge and Dry Branch Fire Squad

Brian and I just live a few miles apart here in Ohio.. He came by the house and gave me a few pointers on building my BUCKHORN mandolins.. After telling him that I had never held a top quality...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Bubinga bending???

Think hard about going that thick with the rim.. It can be done but might scorch if you try to go too fast.. And think about weight.. If you are chasing the scroll with the F style it might get...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Carpal Tunnel surgery?

I'm not a player, but am a builder for almost 20 years.. Worked the assembly lines in the auto industry for over 34 years (not all on the line).. With all of the repeated movement, I suffered hard...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone bar placement on an A style

I've been building A styles for only about 5 or 6 years and have been making F styles for almost 20.. My A style braces are pretty much the same as the F's .. I think that the braces are more to...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bob White mandolins

I attended a workshop sponsered by Mr. White, in the art of building mandolins several years ago.. Very nice guy, and made me want to be all that I can be.. It was at a folk fair in down town ...
  8. Replies
    Views

Latest photo of the BUCKHORN family

196810 The latest additions to my family.. Some are older, but the mandolins are all fresh off the bench.. And yes, there is a lefty in there too.. Some are even looking to be rehomed......
  9. Re: Do great looking mandolins have to sound better?

I've never been one to spend the big bucks for the 4A and 5A figured maple.. Most of the maple I use comes from local suppliers and is in the 2A to 4A range.. The dedicated picker wants the sound...
  10. Thread: Price Tag

by buckhorn
    Replies
    Views

Re: Price Tag

Just because my name isn't in the top ten (or even twenty) of famous builders, don't overlook what I can do.. There are many of us "hobby builders" that make a fine sounding and looking mandolin.. ...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: F-hole re-enforcement

I have used gauze with Titebond from my very first, following Siminoffs' guide.. With my second build, I sanded most of the glue and gauze off after reading about how unnecessary the reinforcement...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Rib assemblies too small?

my plates are always oversized and are then fitted to the rims.. then are final thicknessed .. it's a great luthier that can cut a plate exactly to a rim --- I'm not even close to being there.....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: new top F hole repair

I've tried several ways to cut out the sound holes but this works best for me.. After tracing the holes out, I will use the smallest brad point drill I have and drill out the hole being careful to...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

184636 with all the down time thanks to this virus stuff, I've been keeping busy building parts ahead...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Marketing and getting your name/brand out.

I've been trying to "break into" this market for almost 20 years.. I've donated, loaned, given away, and even sold a few. There has been only rave reviews about looks and sound and price.. Been...
  16. Re: What was your biggest challenge in making an F style mandolin

Building a good looking, great sounding, easy playing mandolin and not having any interest in your dream.. Spending 120 to 150 hours doing something you love and chasing that dream and hoping...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Post A picture of your favorite "A" model

182171 I haven't finished my favorite A style yet...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Becoming a Luthier-How?

I would be happy with "minimum wage"...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Truss rod soda straw?

Next time you eat at Olive Garden , ask for a few extra straws.. they're almost the same size as the truss rod, and work great... they are black in color and seem not to be affected by glue....
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Shop organization, layout suggestions

organization??? mine looks like a bomb went off in the middle of Harber Freight....
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Go Down Memory Lane

I built 4 mandolins before I felt confident enough to start numbering them.. By the time I got to numbered 0003, my construction was solid enough that I wanted to try to improve on them.. I'm...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Who makes their own truss rods?

I've built my own using 3/16 weld rod for almost 20 years.. I heat the ends and thread myself.. In the beginning, I put the slight bend in them as per Siminoff.. But after seeing others thoughts,...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: side thickness

What John said.... I keep mine around .080 , but if having trouble bending , I'll go thinner.. With the hard stuff, I'll mist and clamp in the forms and let dry.. That little thing works...
  24. Replies
    Views

Using inside spanners in forms

175727 Spanners are suggested in both of Siminoffs' books when glueing up rims. I've never been comfortable with this method because I could never get the proper pressure in the right places to make...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

175694.. working on a few in the white. Their waiting for binding..
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4