Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Pedal novice question re: preamp pedal

The insert send and return is internally connected "normalled" when nothing is plugged into them. This means your signal passes uninterrupted from input to output when nothing is plugged into the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Spray Booth ideas

I did a similar thing as Soliver. A furnace squirrel cage blower. It never produced enough suction to pull all the fumes out. I found an explosion proof fan similar to the one in the link. I...
  3. Stringjoy Foxwood mandolin strings first impressions.

I was one of the lucky winners of the Stringjoy mandolin string giveaway a couple weeks ago.
    I chose the coated Foxwood 11-40s to try out. My favorite strings of the past were Daddario EXLs,...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Varnish vs Lacquer

I could not get FP over oil to work for me either. It was too much work on the top around the fingerboard extension. I too had checking of the shellac later on.
    Do you wipe on Truoil, or spray...
  5. Replies
    Views

I don't disagree with you. I'm just stating why I use it based on my experience. Gibson adds a lot of plasticizer to their nitro. It peels off like you described even on the most expensive Les...
  6. Replies
    Views

Alkyd based oil varnish is softer than lacquer and never quite hardens like lacquer does over time. The way I do it takes 10 times the effort over lacquer. I like the look, I can get it very thin...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Builder keeps making changes with repair

There are a few of us up here. Lots of guitar repair shops, but not many having expertise with mandolins. I've found it helps to be a proficient player to do great fretwork and setups. That's not...
  8. I'm featured on The Bluegrass Situation website this week!

Me performing with upper midwest great, Chris Silver, both on mandolins I built. Link below

https://thebluegrasssituation.com/read/watch-chris-silver-and-scott-liebers-tico-tico-no-fuba/
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Top Crack During Mandolin Build

Welcome to the club. You will do lots of things over if you continue the path of building these beasts.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

I had the opportunity to stretch my musical boundaries sitting in with a Latin Funk Fusion band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdvnn5y6-1Q
  11. Thread: Wood binding

by sliebers
    Replies
    Views

Re: Wood binding

I'm still learning what to say no to. It takes getting burned on a few jobs before you can figure out what to charge, or to simply say no.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: "A" strings don't stay tuned

If the other strings are stable, I would suspect the nut, or the saddle slots for the A strings have worn and are now causing the strings to bind.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Cost for refret

Not doubting the quality of work, but to command 2-3 times what other reputable shops do is hard for me to understand.

The danger is associating the higher price with better quality of work. ...
  14. Re: David Grisman - The Story of Crusher | Fretboard Journal

An amazing mandolin, and amazing player. Very pleased to see this video.

I was also pleased to see/hear it being captured by 2 vintage Neumann Km84 microphones into a Great River 2NV preamp. ...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Tonewood supplier - octave

Steven Anderson has listed a number of arch top guitar size tops in the classifieds. A lutz spruce one here; https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/186438#186438
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: My Duff is hard to tune

I don't get that at all. Did those tuners come new with the mandolin? I've never had luck with GA tuners. A Duff mandolin deserves better tuners.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Cracked neck block

Another approach would. be to drill a hole through the top and angle through the crack. Then epoxy in an 1/8" CF dowel. If the crack will close, you should HHG it first and clamp together with...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

A few things from my workbench this fall. Octave mandolin and #17 F5.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner for tap tuning

Went down that rabbit hole many, many years ago. Carved 2 sets of tone bars down to nothing. Too many variables. The biggest challenge was determining what the actual frequency of the fundamental...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: CNC plate carving service

Any thoughts to do 3D files of your plans Adrian?
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: CNC plate carving service

I'd be suspect of the arching on those files. There doesn't appear to be a recurve, and the scroll spine looks very flat. Hard to tell as these are rendered drawings. Anyone out there use these...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Equipment advice please

I have the Jet 16/32 drum sander. It does an ok job. The "smart sand" controller fizzed out within a week of use. Lead screw wears out and won't stay at a consistent height. I'll often run...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Should Bryan Kimsey scallop my guitar?

Thanks Chris. This was a special case, where the guitar was essentially destroyed. Not anything I'd recommend for anything in good playable shape to start with.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Should Bryan Kimsey scallop my guitar?

Or, find someone crazy enough to do this... I swore to never do another. I repaired one of my own builds about a year later the same way. Someone sat on it and cracked the X braces. Twice is...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: dents in the neck

I would avoid drop filling with lacquer as it's going to shrink down over time requiring lots of fill and sanding sessions. Also, takes a long time to cure before you can sand and buff.
    I would...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4