Search:

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Gold Tone AC-1 banjo?

Musician's Friend had these as a "Stupid Deal of the Day" a while back for $139.99. Target has them for that price now. For the money, you really can't beat one of these for a beater, travel, leave...
  2. Replies
    Views

I have an old Harmony with the bakelite rim, but I loaned it out and the neck was cracked. Haven't gotten around to fixing it proper yet. They are a good sounding banjo, especially for what they are....
  3. Replies
    Views

I play clawhammer banjo, and if I need a "leave behind" banjo this would probably be fine. I have always wanted one of the old Silvertone banjos with the bakelite rim. This looks pretty close. ...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Help identifying a fiddle tune

Old French
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Any good Mandolin Transcription books?

http://www.johnreischman.com/up-in-the-woods John Reischman transcription book
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: The latest in plectrum technology.....

That really is insanity! :disbelief:

"Remember, the bigger the pick, the bigger the tone." :))

ScVtAsP9CDw][YOUTUBE

He says it's 11.85mm thick; the website that has changed, and it's now...
  7. Replies
    Views

You got it! And, I mean, what fun would it be if we didn't all have differing preferences, and if those preferences didn't change? What the heck would we have to talk about? lol

I have playing for...
  8. Replies
    Views

Need to try one. The end of my right forefinger is gone and I use the round butt of a teardrop now. Might would help me grip it better.
  9. Replies
    Views

Not for me!
  10. Replies
    Views

A side that isn't playable?? Just wait. Eventually someone will find that picking with that side is where they find their best tone
  11. Replies
    Views

Hmm, that tail is..interesting... Seems a wee bit of a waste of real estate though to have a side that isn't playable. Something like the Wegen Dipper gives you more pick to hang onto and the three...
  12. Replies
    Views

I made one with a tail once but quickly realized I was better served learning to manipulate and hold the pick rather than try to find a cure to me being too lazy to learn proper pick technique.
  13. Replies
    Views

Not a new idea looks like a Japanese shamisen pick or https://www.pykmax.com/
  14. Replies
    Views

Wonder if it was designed for folks with grip issues? Although most of the folks I know that have that use a modified thumb pick.
  15. Replies
    Views

It's . . . odd. I guess I can see how the "tail" might help stability, but the whole thing seems kind of large and possibly unwieldy.
  16. Replies
    Views

Thanks Luk....I wonder if he was on drugs.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman OM - a one-month review

I am, yes and agree and also taking Matt Flinner's Octave course. Something is bound to stick, I figure.
  18. Replies
    Views

"Sam Brown Hill" is addictive too - also from Joe's course. Finally have that down. And, you did a great job on Inverness - very smooth. Something for me to aspire to (next).
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Capo for an octave

My favourite capo is a very cheap guitar capo that I cut to the width of the 8th fret of my octave, then removed the spring and cut that to 2/3 before replacing it again. Then I cut down the two...
  20. Replies
    Views

D'Addario Planet Waves Tri-Action capo:

https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/capos/tri-action/tri-action-capo/
  21. Replies
    Views

Bach's Goldbeg Variations MandoCello and Cello

Here is a 'great find' from youtube. Mike Marshall's arrangement, with Dave Eggar on cello & Peter Sachon on mandocello.

The performance makes good background music for reading as (I assume)...
  22. Replies
    Views

That's a nice use of sustain and partial chords on that OM. That's what they're made for when playing melody, in my opinion. The slower tunes where you can really work the sustain of the longer scale...
  23. Replies
    Views

That sounds great! Nice tune, I've never heard it before, I'll have to give it a try myself.

@Russ Donahue, I've heard so many people say they like the mandola strings on the MDO-305, but I...
  24. Replies
    Views

I use a D'Addario Planet Waves NS (I think they call it the "Pro Capo" now?) on my octave. I also use it on my acoustic guitars, so there is a little overhang on the OM's narrower neck but it doesn't...
  25. Replies
    Views

I picked up a Shub capo from Northfield for use on my flat top octave. I never capo on mandolin but for the octave I do think it makes sense depending on the song and what you're going for....
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4