Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

A new F-5

Not quite a traditional F-5 but in the sprit of. European spruce and maple, ebony fretboard, Gotoh tuners and an Allen tailpiece. A K&K twin pickup installed with the socket mounted on an extra...
  2. the new "Croce" clamps from Northfield look great

https://www.northfieldinstruments.com/store/northfield-clamps?ss_source=sscampaigns&ss_campaign_id=61e095ba687a053b1998dfa2&ss_email_id=61e200b65d37655cc0567b29&ss_campaign_name=Various+Mandos+%2B+Cla...
  3. Replies
    Views

Dremel - IKEA Flexible LED Light

I picked up a "Jansjo" USB powered, flexible, LED light at IKEA for $5.99: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/jansjoe-led-usb-lamp-black-70291232/

I plugged it into a portable USB power bank and...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: CNC plate carving service

Before CNC, there was a technique called "step routing." In the old days, Stew-mac used to sell plates that were roughed out by routing in steps. It was then up to the builder to finish up the work...
  5. Replies
    Views

There are some differences among all plans (and also offered CNC files). If you get plates carved using different plan you may find out the body shape won't fit your ribs...
  6. Replies
    Views

I'd be suspect of the arching on those files. There doesn't appear to be a recurve, and the scroll spine looks very flat. Hard to tell as these are rendered drawings. Anyone out there use these...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Lacquer cracking at neck heel

I had an early mandolin do that and here's what I figured out and how I fixed it.

Mandolin number 6 came in with the same thing as yours; slightly open at the heel button but no neck movement or...
  8. Replies
    Views

Hagerty #7 fresh off the bench

Hagerty #7

red spruce top
    Back, neck and sides are big leaf maple
    1 1/8 bone nut
    Cumberland Acoustics bridge
    Compound radius fretboard 6.5-12
    Parallel bracing
    Waverly tuners
    James tailpiece
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Bug spray Lacquer repair

Looks mighty fine, to quote Lester Moran... Looks great. As said above, good to know when to stop. Now it's a little story in the instrument's history.
  10. Replies
    Views

Great job! Gotta wonder who does not know that insect repellent is harmful to an instrument.....just saying.
  11. Replies
    Views

Good work.
    Knowing when to quit is essential on a job like this.
  12. Replies
    Views

Looks good, John!
  13. Replies
    Views

Not as nutty as the antique furniture world, where original, uncleaned dirt over original, decayed finish is built into the value, or, somewhat more understandably, with collectibles like coins or...
  14. Replies
    Views

I suspect this is the case. It would be the first thing to try regardless, IMO.
    The Bush model Gibsons that I have seen look to have plenty of finish for leveling and buffing. Can't be sure they are...
  15. Replies
    Views

The damage to the resale value may very well already have been done.

I do not know how the market functions on modern-era professional grade instruments, but in the vintage instrument world an...
  16. Re: Advice needed on K&K mandolin twin pickup install

It works fine with a James tailpiece— no need to enlarge the hole. Just remove all the nuts, and then the shoulder on the jack goes right up against the inside of the tailpiece, and the right amount...
  17. Re: Advice needed on K&K mandolin twin pickup install

I would just get a bigger spraying handle that is 15/32...drill the hole once. very accurately without a step or taper. or wrap tape around your spraying handle to increase its size to 15/32, but...
  18. Re: Advice needed on K&K mandolin twin pickup install

I prefer to have the tailpiece mounted when I drill for the endpin jack. It's easy to drill through both the TP and the tailblock with a step bit until you get the TP hole big enough for the jack,...
  19. Re: Advice needed on K&K mandolin twin pickup install

Drill the tailpiece before mounting it on the mandolin. Your spraying handle can be in the mandolin and it will be easy to drill the mandolin thru the tailpiece to the new size.
  20. Replies
    Views

Condino Brazilian rosewood mandolin #164

I've been pleasantly suffering through the quarantine enjoying a new mandolin: #164, the 4th in sequence from my favorite Brazilian rosewood log. 1989 Ted Davis red spruce, 1950s Brazilian rosewood...
  21. Replies
    Views

Shout out to De Paul Supply

Due to having to re-do my fretboard, I ran short of 4mm MOP dots...by just 1 dot. I couldn't find anybody selling single dots except De Paul, who I had originally ordered my inlay supplies from. I...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: DePaule Nouveau inlay advice

I turn photos in to black and white jpegs, import in to inkscape, trace it using the bitmap trace feature, save it as svg then import it in to a CAD program. I can print right out of inkscape for a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Fingerboard chaos like that makes my head hurt. It really makes it a confusing mess to play compared to a simple all black or modest inlaid board.

From experience, I can tell you already that you...
  24. Replies
    Views

Andrew Mowry has a pretty genius method of using a photograph, overlaid in the CAD program, to lay out pearl inlay blanks. No reason why it wouldn't work for hand-cut inlays as well - in fact, that...
  25. Replies
    Views

I assume they would be installed a bit inside the binding, but you could ask Andy what his intention was.

You'd also have to lay it all out carefully so the parts flow around your tuner bushings....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3