Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

#76554, signed 3/24/24
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning down old Gibson

100s (1000s?) of pre-adjustable truss rod Gibson mandolins have survived all these 100+ years just fine with medium gauge strings tuned to concert pitch with no adverse effects on the neck.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Natural / Blonde Gibson F5s?

Have you played one (or a 50's Byrdland)? I like the clarity of the staple pickup in the neck position, but I find the pickup intolerably bright in the bridge position. Gibson had the right combo...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Classifides

On a serious instrument ($$$$) I always offer to speak on the phone with a buyer and discuss the instrument in depth. This usually predicts a successful sale. I always state that returns will be...
  5. Re: K&K body noise and picking technique - novice question

As a young mandolin player I could hold a pick any old way and my youthful energy provided what I needed to "blaze" on it. In my advancing years I lost facility with my right hand and knew I needed...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Adarrio humidipak with Big Mon

Best policy...keeps instruments and all other residential inhabitants happiest. As far as "wet things" in a case, I think most folks get into trouble when they over-charge any in-case humidification...
  7. Re: Has anyone tune their mandolin a half step down?

There is a great bluegrass record name of the 432 Sessions, Harry Clark on mandolin
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Tom Rozum

Proud to have been knowing Tommy since the 1970s and to call him a friend! He was an informative, enthusiastic and invaluable councilor on a bigtime mandolin purchase I made a coupla years back.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Molly and Ten Brooks

Is the conversation between the two horses documented?
  10. Re: 4 string mandolin? Is it even a mandolin?

I have played a four string electric mandolin for years and encountered many who wish to argue that it is NOT a mandolin by virtue of only having half the strings. I usually end the argument by...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: This Baby's Got Back!

Interesting how Gibson F5 finishes got darker late in 1923 and into 1924, and entirely by coincidence, the tone also got darker. My 3/24/24 is not my favorite example of figured maple, but a somewhat...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

Yes, I have frequently observed the oh-so-hip referring to their mandocello as a "cello". The internet has shown me that folks just LOVE being cute with (if you must) "affectionate" nick-names. I...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Locking your mandolin case

Those brown Gibson cases with the four-digit combination lock...I rarely see one that does not exhibit evidence of a crowbar having been eventually employed
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

Yes!! The number of presumed "veteran professional musicians" I hire who will stop me to ask the key after I have already started a song has me thoroughly bamboozled. Am I some sort of musical genius...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

Sorry to have duplicated the previous post about the poorly named men's hygiene products.

I have never denied my pedant status, but now compelled to look up the definition of the term, I see the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Locking your mandolin case

A very well-known, big time acoustic music musician was a surprise guest at a local music party I also attended. Whilst I was playing bass with some folks, my mandolin was closed up in its case in a...
  17. Replies
    Views

Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

Yet another reason that I abhor the common abbreviation for the instrument that's called the M-A-N-D-O-L-I-N...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tonedevil FM product feedback requests

I am not big on the aesthetics, the headstock shape and lack of gloss finish bothering me the most. On a practical note, there is another very popular high-end mandolin builder that has violin top...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Resonator Goals

I acquired my RM-1 two days ago and used it on two shows I played yesterday. My experience thus far is that it is suitable for ABB (anything but bluegrass).
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Dexter w/ Godin A8 anyone?

Send me your Tonedexter and 500 bucks. I will "IR" it with my Loar-signed F5 through a high-quality condenser mic (this could be a whole new cottage-industry and help pay for the Loar...whoring the...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Dexter w/ Godin A8 anyone?

This makes so much sense. Maybe borrow a Loar-signed F5 to make the "imprint" on the Tonedexter, then plug the Godin into it. Or...something like the RedEye will at least make the impedance match.
  22. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

There is no need to ever check a mandolin. That's why we selected that instrument: Because it will fit in the overhead compartment of any commercial aircraft
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet Another CF Mandolin?

And entirely case, too! Heck, I'm just going to install a set of strings on my Hoffee case and play it!
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Modding a Northfield F5S

Arm rest and tonegard...improvement in tone and playability on any instrument
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Ronnie McCoury on Eastman?

I was backstage at a Ralph Stanley show years back. I overheard someone talking to Stanley, noting that Ralph was playing a Stelling now and asking how he liked it. Ralph replied, "I'll show you what...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4