Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Do I need a mandola?

Here's another vote for trying a mandola. The resonance and sustain is addictive... I pick up my Big Muddy more often than even my pricier instruments!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet another Thomastik-Infield string question

I love Thomastik heavies (stark)! Before you invest in a set, try a set of the D'Addario flatwounds (EFW74). They're not as good as the Thomastiks, but they're $15 instead of $60 and are the closest...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Question about pinky use...

I use my pinky just as much as every other finger on my fretting hand! I use it much less with guitar and other larger instruments, but on mandolin and mandola it's essential. Learn the patterns for...
  4. Re: Yet another Kentucky KM-1050 vs KM-1500 thread?!

Think about it this way: both Northfield and Kentucky to sell a $2800 mandolin. The Model M is about as plain as you can get (short of the wood selection). You're paying entirely for the attention to...
  5. Re: Yet another Kentucky KM-1050 vs KM-1500 thread?!

If what you're looking for is a jump in sound quality, save your money! Either Kentucky will be a side-grade from your 805v, at best. If they're at all like the high-end Eastmans and Kentuckys I've...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Austin area Mandolin Shops?

Hey TJ!

I agree with everything wonderful that's been said about FG. Ben is a wizard, and it's definitely worth your time to take a trip to their Lockhart location. Keep in mind they're only open...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

A friend and I are working on a tribute show for Nirvana's MTV Unplugged in New York performance. My friend is playing his Martin D18, and I'm playing a Yamaha Melodica and my Northfield F5S-E....
  8. Replies
    Views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sfDIiPymw8

Here's a live recording of a quick original! The audio is running through our TASCAM mixer :)
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: Northfield F5S Amber

Happy to see another NFS-F5E owner here! The Engelmann top definitely has less "cut" than the Adirondack tops I tried, but as you said, it suits the "pretty" styles really well. Congrats on your new...
  10. Replies
    Views

Our band put out our first studio single and music video this week! I'm playing my Northfield throughout :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lPt6QAg0So
  11. Thread: Strange F4....

by webber
    Replies
    Views

Re: Strange F4....

I was talking about the previous owner's hacky cutout. The pyramidal slot and the way you can see the mahogany underneath the ebony makes it cool to my eyes!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet another blonde F4...but

I don't think the owner appreciated my offer, haha.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Armrest and Toneguard

I used a McClung with a Tone-Gard on my old Nouveau F5 with no issues, and transferred them to my Northfield when I upgraded– again, the two fit together without any problems. The Northfield doesn't...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrade to Northfield?

That's a shame! For what it's worth, every single Northfield I've played has been wonderful. While there are differences between models, they are small enough that I think you will be satisfied no...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of your band!!

And here's a better photo of us from a recent video concert we played :grin: