1. Replies
    Views

Re: Venuti transcriptions book

Just found footage of Venuti himself demonstrating his 4-string technique:

https://youtu.be/W3gAypnheyo?t=338
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Pre Truss rod Mandolins

No, you're not storing up for trouble, unless you over-string the mandolin and/or leave it in a hot car, or otherwise neglect it.

I've had dozens of pre-truss rod Gibsons pass over my workbench. ...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Going to check out a jam session

I've had good luck taking my acoustic mando to a local "rock and miscellaneous" jam, with the internal pickup plugged into a Katana Air amplifier. As long as they're not crazy loud, it's more than...
  4. Replies
    Views

Took me a few minutes to figure out that this N. Y. jazz club Smalls is not the old Harlem landmark Smalls Paradise, where lots of jazz giants played and recorded way back.

Still— should be a...
  5. Replies
    Views

I do so all the time at our local Jazz Society monday night sessions, unless I'm hired on guitar for the rhythm section.

I'll bring my mandolin and clarinet.

First, make sure you know how to...
  6. Replies
    Views

Well... in truth I have to say acoustically you likely won't even be heard over the drums. So going and playing or not won't affect the overall "tone" of the jam. Insofar as fitting in, check out...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

While a "petite D" in gypsy jazz terms my Paris Swing is more oval than not. Super tone that's very different from my f.

8. Re: 30 Bluegrass Tunes EVERY Mandolinist Should Know(D Benedict)

Makes sense. Doc Watson often introduced songs as fiddle tunes, which I always assumed (incorrectly) that he was using it as a way of bragging that he had the ability on guitar to play extremely...
  9. Replies
    Views

I prefer the oval over f hole for jazz playing. Much less percussive and makes jazz phrasing much easier to my ear. Plus I like the warm fuller sound.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD 2023 Gibson F-5G

Update is coming soon. I promise.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: 30 tunes you should know!

Cracked me up. I can think of 10 waltzes that are a good idea to have in your back pocket for those times that the world just needs a pretty waltz.

Guitar players likely deal with this all the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Count me in, I love the oval sound. '24 A Jr and and Collings MT2-O here. Owned plenty others also. The Gibson is loud and cranky and sonorous and a finicky little thing - a true joy, the pinnacle of...
  13. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

While at IBMA, I got to hold and play the new Loar copy and I was mst impressed. Fit and finish was spectacular, with what appeared to be a varnish finish; the mandolin was light but not too light,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Lots of love for ovals in this house!
  15. Replies
    Views

A new Kimble oval hole, next to an older Kimble f hole mandolin. Distinctly different sounds and both very pleasing to hear.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is bluegrass played so fast?

I wasn't there but this is the way I've heard it told...

Bill and the Boys kicked off the early days on the WSM Opry Stage playing hard and fast. The audience loved it and couldn't get enough. ...
  17. Replies
    Views

Very interesting thread, a big thanks to foldedpath and L5… for the historical takes & comparisons.
  18. Replies
    Views

I agree with others who have commented that it’s what the style hi-lights; not it’s only attribute, but the difference between old time and bluegrass is that old time music, including many fiddle...
  19. Replies
    Views

I don't think this is a controversial take, but maybe it is. Anyway, I think Bluegrss is played fast because it's performance music; stage music, designed to excite an audience that is listening but...
  20. Re: Is Gibson Getting Ready to Roll Out Some New Models?

This label and case candy that is being promoted with Gibson's new F5 offering is all about marketing... AND perhaps trying to bring the Loar legacy back where it "belongs".

After the creation of...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Best strings for vintage Gibson

I have been using D'Addario EFW-74s on my 1916 F-4 for a few years with exactly the results I was seeking. After using D'A EFT-74s phosphur bronze sets for many years I realized that the old F-4...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: A-Jr in Ex condition - a rarity

It's really fun to have a matching vintage guitar and mandolin pair. I used to have a sunburst Martin 00-18H and a lovely sunburst Martin mandolin, similar vintage, materials, and sunbursts. They...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Improving mandolin tone

https://youtu.be/-tCoGGcsi0I?si=Q3oDl913DXsWEazo

-tCoGGcsi0I
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Self-taught vs. …not!

Many years ago I attended a harp festival in Edinburgh Scotland.

There seems to be this tradition amongst the harpers of announcing who you learned from, and in many cases who your teacher...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Self-taught vs. …not!

There is no versus, and those that think there is are going to limit themselves.

About me: I am, except for some workshops and recent on line coaching, largely self taught.

In my case looking...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4