Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

New Mandolin Day at Mandolin Cafe

Very happy to reacquire a 1923 Sheraton brown snakehead this week I sold from the Classifieds in 2009. Still had the original email correspondence, the buyer still had the mandolin and more luckily...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Almost NMD - 2001 Apitius Grand Classic F5

I'm with you...describing tone is like describing which ice cream tastes best. It's driven by what you like the sound of, and the person you're describing it to might not have the same...
  3. Thread: eBay anxiety

by mrmando
    Replies
    Views

Re: eBay anxiety

Well, what a long, strange trip.

I received a shipping notice and Postal Service tracking number on Sunday night, which cheered me up considerably. The box arrived on Wednesday and certainly...
  4. Article: Fiddler's Green Music Shop Takes a New Location in Lockh

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/977-Fiddler-s-Green-Music-Shop-Takes-a-New-Location-in-Lockhart-Texas
  5. Replies
    Views

Impressions: Northfield A5 Special

Okay, forgive the lengthy post, but I felt compelled to write something and sure do hope that all you friends will understand that I'm only doing this because I'm so amazed at the effect receiving my...
  6. Replies
    Views

Mama's Broke on Tiny Desk

There's only mandolin in the first tune but it is pretty sweet. A great duo.

https://youtu.be/yeFcUbGW1gA
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield A Mandolin?

I saw in one of their videos, that it's for increased bass responce. I know mine freak'n rocks, and getting better everytime I play it.:mandosmiley:
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Music Emporium mandolin play-off

That was mine up until last winter. I bought it new, so I had it for most of its life, twelve years. TME sold it for me after I acquired another Heiden. Not sure to who, but I think another Cafe...
  9. Re: Unusual fretboard inlays -- What are these style called?

Many decades ago, I designed an inlay pattern for a custom Collings guitar for Bill's mother. It became the "Mom" inlay. This mandolin fingerboard inlay is an adapted and updated version and can be...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

I haven't seen these in person, but I think one of these would be it for me at this point.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/924/gdureD.jpg...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Regal/Smurf Heaven

That's a pretty epic picture. That auction will disappear at some point from eBay but for now this image needs to reside here for posterity.

12. Replies
    Views

Re: Café classifieds

I really don't need to get into discussing this further and I'm already on record stating the decision is not going to be an invitation for a public forum on opinions. The banjo community has been...
  13. Re: Repaired headstock scroll devaluation on MD315

The guy had a stroke? And cannot play his mandolin anymore? Swallow it. Pay it back. Whatever small compensation you eke out of this saddened family is nothing compared to the good karma the...
  14. Re: Repaired headstock scroll devaluation on MD315

At least you have your scroll! Mine's somewhere in Texas.

(Not that I mind all that much, but maybe someday ....)
  15. Replies
    Views

Northfields Galore at Dusty Strings!

Hey y'all... was down in Seattle this past weekend and was amazed to see how many Northfield instruments were available at Dusty Strings. I think about 9 or ten instruments including an octave mando....
  16. Replies
    Views

Monteleone documentary

Just a quick heads-up that the new John Monteleone documentary -- The Chisels Are Calling -- went into distribution on the 15th. I got it from Amazon, but it's available through numerous other...
  17. Thread: Parrot Party

by Dawg
    Replies
    Views

Re: Parrot Party

That mic is very special to me John. It's a vintage Neumann KM-86, directly from 1750 Arch Studios, and the mic that Tony Rice preferred. It was kindly offered to me by Bob Shumaker, one of the...
  18. Thread: Parrot Party

by Dawg
    Replies
    Views

Parrot Party

Today I'm hosting a birthday party at Dawg studios to celebrate and document the "birth" of a very special mandolin, the "Parrot," whose label was signed by Mr. Lloyd Loar, 100 years ago! Also in...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: coolest shirt I ever had

To clarify, while you're criticizing others:

All stolen from the Mandolin Cafe. It's been on this page near the bottom since the day I created and uploaded it, September 7, 2002. I gave Ken...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: 2-point Orpheum branded Strad-O-lin on eBay

Had a chance to poke around and take some more detailed pictures of the 2-point Orpheum today.

Firstly, you all are right, I DO like this Mandolin. It isn't super loud, but it has a very clear and...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: A Different Busking Question

Back in 1979, I had arrived back in Australia with a new Scottish girlfriend in tow and seriously broke.

I ran into a friend of a friend who used to play Hendrix-wannabe Strat stuff with my...
  22. Replies
    Views

Praise for the Northfield Calhoun

I am a guitar player and I've recently become interested in Ukulele and Mandolin. I picked up a used Gretsch New Yorker Deluxe which was OK. I dig that it has a pickup. Although it plays and sounds...
  23. Re: Are you ready for a new Carbon/Kevlar Sorensen mandolin?

All,

Thank you for the kind words and questions. Here are answers for a few --

Bill McCall -- asking about "cross grain" stiffness: One of the interesting traits of Kevlar is that is strong...
  24. Re: Northfield (& Beyond) Dilemma: A5 Special vs NF-F5S/NF-F2S

Howdy friends, just wanted to let y'all know the F5S is a DREAM BOAT AND A HALF. I'm having a hard time putting it down and its inspired a lot of tunes already. Until I have enough money to...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: A Special Guest at the Blue Note

Check out his album with Brad Meldau…sublime for the most part, with a little bit of Monk thrown in…
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3