Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: My MAS is cured.

Being satisfied with what you have and being cured of MAS are two very different things. I’ve had my A5 for over 13 years and my F5 for 7-ish now. But when I was in Nashville recently I went to...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Do You Baby Your Mandolin?

I treat them like tools, and return them to their respective home so it’ll be easy to find when I need them again. They get maintained as needed.

They don’t get pampered but they are respected.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

I'm a big fan but haven't been able to get all the way through it yet.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

I have appreciated everything Chris Thile has done up to now, and of course I am sure he will continue to create incredible music. But this new album was lacking in so many ways. There just aren't...
  5. Thread: Levon Helm

by journeybear
    Replies
    Views

Re: Levon Helm

I saw the news about today being the ninth anniversary of Levon Helm's passing, and rather than start a thread about him, thought I'd bump up one. This is it - lots of wonderful stuff in here. What a...
  6. Why did Gibson return to Paddleheads after Snakeheads?

There's a question I've never seen asked. I searched the archives here but couldn't find it - let me know if there's a link to a past discussion...

Gibson Snakehead As from 1923-25 are highly...
  7. Re: Looking for some insight into microtonal mandolin

Not sure I get it either....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: latest Ludewig 2 point

Michael-
    Gold EVO. Is there anything else?
  9. Replies
    Views

latest Ludewig 2 point

This one left this afternoon for Olympia, WA. Sorry the pictures aren't better. This is the first 2 pt. ff-hole I've made. Red spruce, red maple. It sounds just fine.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F2 and F4 mandolins.

The rims of the A models are deeper than the F2,4,5 which may account for the greater bass.
    A model rims are 1-1/2” deep
    F model rims are 1-3/8” deep

Mark
  11. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

I would second the recommendation of Steve Gerritsen and his Stone Banjo Company (good website). I bought a new banjo from Steve as a birthday present for my wife. It cost about $800 delivered, and...
  12. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

and i've over spent my stay on your thread so i'll leave now. i apologize.
    i enjoy folks "finding" the open back banjo.

one last adventure
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GuT5c0_ncQ
  13. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

some neat open back moments, Meredith Moon has taken her Goodtime all over the earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H6IUQqG_U4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H6IUQqG_U4
  14. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

I know it’s been a bad winter. Running out of firewood?

Full disclosure: my grandmother was a claw hammer player:)
  15. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

i know you didn't ask for a lot of the above info, but, i had a few minutes and wanted to offer some info on the WVa style and the living link of Dwight(i haven't checked in on him since probably...
  16. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

if you really want to go and do it right from the start:
    https://www.elderly.com/products/chuck-lee-rose-hill-11-openback-banjo-integral-wood-tone-ring

wood tone rings(no metal tone ring), can...
  17. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

I currently have a 12" Pisgah Dobson (26 1/4"sacle) nut width is 1 3/8", an 11" OME XXX made in 1973(26 1/4" scale), and a short scale State banjo that was built in the 1920's to which I added a 5th...
  18. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

I am sure you got good advice above on new or newish banjos. I started playing old time music back when there were very few new banjo makers so the main source of open back 5-strings were old ones...
  19. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

Mike, for dipping your toes in, I don’t think you need to sweat choosing pot size and scale length. With it’s reduced string tension and single course strings, the banjo is a bit more forgiving on...
  20. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

Mike,

Any of those banjos that you mention are great. I'd skip the Deering, unless you are going to look at their upper-level models. If you are used to playing really nice instruments (and I...
  21. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

I also like the sound of a 12" pot, but I like 1 1/4" nut. I don't like that wide of a nut on a mandolin, but do on a banjo. Then I like 1 3/4" on a guitar too.
  22. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

I had a Pisgah Wonder. 25.5” scale, 11” pot. It was a gorgeous instrument with flamed maple that highly appealed to these mandolin eyes! I liked the shorter scale. I think I would have preferred the...
  23. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

Don't forget nut width. 1-3/8" nut is a lot easier to play in my opinion. I can only tell you my preferences which are 25.5" scale, 1-3/8" nut width, and 12" pot(which not only sounds better to me,...
  24. Replies
    Views

My New Baby

Well, new to me, anyway. This is a 1916 A-4, cherry sunburst finish. She's a perfect match for my 1916 H-2 mandola, one of the main reasons for making the effort. Another reason was the bling - I've...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman and Nancy vid

The tune is called "Sage Fields," and the video footage is from the 1987 Central Sun Video VHS release "Planet Riders."
    As far as I know, the tune has not been released anywhere else. Norman wrote...
Page 1 of 2 1 2