Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

I find it somewhat disheartening to see Bill Monroe bandied about by many who did not know him. You never even knew the man and you are afraid of him? That’s ridiculous. The man has been dead...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

Or vice versa ;)
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Help Dating a Gibson F12

After seeing the insides of a Kluson tuner like this I'm not a real fan. Paul Hostetter posted this image years ago.
  4. Thread: Refret

by lowtone2
    Replies
    Views

Re: Refret

rcc56 did a great job refreting my old Lyon & Healy Style C. He lives in Knoxville, but shipping isn’t too bad and his fee is very reasonable.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Gibson Mandolin Needs Repair

If you are going to glue it, and it could be glued, please use hot hide glue so someone can repair it in the future.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Larson built Champion guitars

The book didn't help that issue much. The guitars have never been much of an issue but I think Carl and August have been getting credit for mandolins that they had nothing to do with for decades.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD404 Truss rod question

I gave the truss rod nut 1 last tweak this morning, put the cover back in place, and am calling it done for now. It plays very well.

Thank's for the help meow-n-dolin
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Varnish vs Lacquer

I spray a coat of shellac to seal, brush on the Z-spar (or Captain’s Varnish or whatever it’s called these days), then French polish. Usually 7-8 brushed coats to build up to a level surface. Not...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Help - Neck pulled away from body.

I don't know about all models and all years, but I have worked on Kentucky mandolins with dovetail neck joints, so at least some of them are dovetails.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

A bit embarrassed to suggest something to a pro, but for access to braces through, especially f holes, I’ve been using bent hacksaw blades, which can be fussed into shape and are still relatively...
  11. Re: Why not a domestic, hand built instrument instead?

I'll take the bait.

Here is some simple math --

The materials for a high-quality build are easily $1000 to $1500 if you include top-tier tuners, tone wood, bridge, an OK case, etc.

That...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Will CA Help on These Stradolin Cracks?

...bookending this thread that I started ... Bob Chuckrow did a fantastic job with the Strad-O-Lin, which needed a lot more work done to it than fixing the cracks. He also leveled the fretboard and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Sent you a PM, Bob
  14. Replies
    Views

In that case I would never use CA.

See if James Condino in Asheville has time and if not consider sending it over to Bob (rcc56) in Nashville for the repair.

If you decide to do it yourself...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Serial Number Decoder--Gibson

My 2002 A9 is #21029030. My understanding is that the formula for eight-digit mandolin serial numbers is YMMDD##Y. The first Y is the last number of the year. MM is the number of the month from 01...
  16. Re: Looking for recommendations on a ‘20’s Gibson oval A

If you’re okay with a pre-1922 Gibson A, then you should be able to find one for well under $2K, unless that market has skyrocketed in the past few months.

That’s the good news! The bad news is...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: 3-point Gibson conversion from 1972 on eBay

At the time I took that picture it belonged to a friend of mine who may or may not still own it. He said George Gruhn said he had never seen one like it.
    I'll have to look and see if I have any more...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Re-fretboarding a Vintage Gibson...?

Larger frets can be used when a re-fret is needed with no modification to an original board.
    Fretting inaccuracies are more than just "perceived", they are real, and some players have had...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Back removal

Fish glue releases very easy with a small amount of steam.

I use one of the $20 hand held steamers off Epay. If you don't have one of those, a simple old school coffee pot with a 50 cent hose...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Building a violin... easier?

So, did the OP ever build a violin?

Most of Harry Wake's books are minimalist and leave the reader wondering if he actually built one. We can say the same thing for the old Irving Sloan book on...
  21. Re: This just showed up in my inbox re: Gibson guitars

Last I looked the “Dobro” name and trademark still belonged to Bank of America.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-9 sinking top

(Opinionated answer to follow:)

Too much, unless the company that built it covers it. I do have an idea what a re-top from an independent builder would ballpark, but at the end of the day, even...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Finish Identification

Bob Flexner, Understanding Wood Finishing.
    Not on line, but if you can read from a paper book it has a very thorough overview.
  24. Thread: Paypal

by Mandobar
    Replies
    Views

Re: Paypal

The $600 is cumulative over a tax year. It is not item by item. They will report a consolidated statement of your sales. So, if you sell three items through Paypal at $500 each, you will get a...
  25. Thread: To weep....

by ajh
    Replies
    Views

To weep....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_dmczCcKoA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3