Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Best practices for starting to attend an Irish session

Generally speaking, when I remain sensitive and try to figure out WHY a session is run a bit "differently" than I expected or am used to, I look closely and notice that there are reasons that usually...
  2. Replies
    Views

Bluegrass and Mariachi

So, I’m an ELD teacher (English Language Development) and have a student this year who plays professionally with her family in her family’s mariachi band. She, and her whole family have been trained...
  3. Progressing a Learning Session Into a "Regular" Session

I started my Sacramento CA learning session a few years ago, and I've chosen to focus on fewer tunes, moving slowly, rather than jumping around in order to help beginners and early intermediate...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: "Noodling" at Sessions

I hear the newcomers who claim they are “discouraged” and I can understand that.

At the same time, Irish Traditional Music is, unlike a lot of music, an open forum for players to participate...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Travelling With Mandolin

We do have a private room, but they don't lock. I guess I'll be in the dining car with my mando seated next to me and my wife across from me. SCANDALOUS!!! They'll be talking for WEEKS about it......
  6. Replies
    Views

I have had many of these experiences, but I guess I have interpreted it differently.

For the list of tunes:

I have made these lists of tunes, now, and it's quite a bit of work. I was...
  7. Replies
    Views

I don't think I read anyone on this thread stating that it is an expectation that no one "noodles" or tries to play along if they don't know a tune at a "learning" session.

That's what a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you remember all those tunes?

DougC just dropped this in another forum topic, and I thought I'd drop it here, since it is likely to be helpful in connection to this topic. I asked him: What are some "core" session tunes? So that...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: How many of you play 3rd-less chords?

I was being playful, not seriously debating anything you said. Sorry, tone is often lost in writing. :)
  10. Sacramento Traditional Irish Learning Session

We've got a traditional Irish/Celtic learning session going on once a month in Sacramento, CA.

Anyone of any level is welcome, but we ARE a learning session/slow session, so advanced players,...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: How do you remember all those tunes?

There are a lot of advanced players here and they help a lot, but sometimes they forget the stages you go through as a learner. I'm a learner still, but a bit further along, and so I'll discuss...
  12. Re: First Learning Session: Seeking Feedback

Eric, he sat down, and it was likely one of the less than full pipes - but it was still dominating. Not sure what to do with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you David! Excellent advice!
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: cross picking challenge

I worked on that same version of Grandfather's Clock for a while. It was above my level... but I'm glad to know you're at that place with it! I hope to get to a place to return to working on that...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Ways to sneak a mandolin in the house ?

Wow, people will just read a lot into a joke, even if it has nothing to do with them! Weird!

It's not your relationship, no one is commenting on the state of affairs with YOUR marriage...most...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Chinese Breedloves?

I own one of those loar 520s, so I'm not opposed to the mandos made in other countries, but Ive also owned three other mandos from other pan Asian makers, all of which people here religiously defend...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: multiple instruments

Please don't take me too seriously, I've only been playing year, n even though I practice a lot, it's driven by desire and passion. I tried plucking on a guitar for a little while, and I like the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: multiple instruments

You ask as if we have a choice... I don't think these are decisions, really, they're more choices directed and fueled by passion, rationalized in retrospect, at least for me.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Ways to sneak a mandolin in the house ?

LOL!

people who have young kids are horrified listening to parents who have teenagers... things parents will say about their kids, about what they want to do to them, these new parents leave these...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar forgery / fake Serial # 80263

Yeah, well I'm glad for one you "amateur" sleuths are here putting the word out... I'm new enough I can't tell without your guidance, so it warms my heart to know all you guys and gals are here......
  20. Replies
    Views

Yeah, and there's a kind of betrayal with a musical instrument sale like this that seems to go deeper. Even a car, which is more expensive, I can roll with being screwed as a mere business...
  21. Replies
    Views

No, the problem is that it says Gibson on the dang thing in two places. He's going to have to sell it as a forgery, or report the guy he bought it from for fraud. Just a bad situation, and bad juju,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: The Myths of the Mandolin

What?! You mean this isn't true?! Screw this, I'm gonna learn to play the accordian... that'll bring in the babes!
  23. Re: My/Your MAS/MAD Ultimate Top Ten Wishlist!

Fruitless or not, it's fun.

I only have two, because I can be a bit obsessive:

Colllings MT2O
    Breedlove, Blonde OO

Ovals are turning my head right now. I literally go to ebay and other...