Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlback Mandolin $80 on CL

It also may have high action and there is a problem with the tailpiece where one of the strings attaches.

For some reason there is something about this "Professional" brand instrument that tells...
  2. Replies
    Views

It looks like it has a pretty severe problem with the nut. Probably will need a new one. I would try to talk him down a few dollars to compensate. That is if you still want it. I'd pass.
  3. Replies
    Views

Looks like it was made for the tourist trade to me. I'd steer clear.
  4. Re: Complete Mandolin Method by Alfred Publishing: Book 3

No...thank YOU! (we could do this all day):grin:

Seriously, I won't pass on a chance to thank you publicly Wayne. When I started out, I had sampled quite a few method type books. Your's was the...
  5. Re: Complete Mandolin Method by Alfred Publishing: Book 3

Hi folks ... Just a quick note to say a huge THANK YOU for all your kind words about my contribution to the wealth of great mandolin resources that are out there - I really appreciate it! As you...
  6. Re: Complete Mandolin Method by Alfred Publishing: Book 3

Wayne Fugate, the author, is a wonderful musician and one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Noob question playing in different keys

It's great to find a quick down and dirty solution. BUT, I suggest that while you USE the quick solution, you spend some time understanding the theory behind the quick solution. As you increasingly...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Noob question playing in different keys

Take your g solo and move it one string towards the floor.

--A
  9. Re: The rust (and discouragement) forms so quickly

In response to Harold's comments about finding people to play with in New England- Harold, you are in one of the hot-bed areas for contra-dance in the US. Contra dances use live music all the time-...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: The rust (and discouragement) forms so quickly

I think its the "must" part.

I remember, through the recommendations and contributions of this site, created for myself the perfect practice plan, with timed sections for warm up, an exercise...
  11. Re: The rust (and discouragement) forms so quickly

I am positive that every person who has ever learned any instrument has
    encountered the same issues. It is the nature of the process. The same is true in
    every walk of life and at every level....
  12. Re: The rust (and discouragement) forms so quickly

Wait, you played trombone and you call the mandolin a silly instrument?
  13. Replies
    Views

Work and the Mandolin

I'm in sales and usually travel a decent amount through out the year. I love that I play mandolin because it's so easy to travel with - meaning I don't have to miss practicing because I'm on the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Gretsch parts?

You most likely won't find exact replacements at any dealer. Those mandolins are imported and the parts might be generic, I've never really looked. If you are near a dealer that might have...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Fiddle tunes that sound great slow

You're headed in the right direction, but I think the wrong question has been asked here. Rather than, "which fiddle tunes sound great slowed down?", the better question is, "how do I make any...
  16. Mandolin and Tenor Uke arr of Pastheen Fionn (Irish Air)

Mandolin, tenor uke, and soprano recorder perform the very old Irish air Pastheen Fionn. 1 track of mandolin; 2 tracks of uke; and 1 track of recorder. I like how this uke (made by Makai) sounds like...
  17. A mandolin brings a old man boy together this Christmas....

"Almost a century in age separated the old man and the little boy, yet they had one thing in common. It was lying on the man’s walker.....a mandolin"
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Why no Italian genre?

Don't mind adding a category if warranted. In 17 years of running this Forum no one asked which is telling. And yes, I've heard, "you haven't heard it because there isn't one. Build it and they will...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: The Dark Side (Banjo)

For example, this is Old Mother Flanagan on clawhammer. I learned to play it recently, and it's a very simple tune that sounds great.

This is Josh Turknett playing it. Even a beginner can sound...
  20. Replies
    Views

I guess I was slow, but it took me almost a year to claw and drop thumb good. But once you got it you got it. Tried 3 finger,didnt like it. ymmv
  21. Replies
    Views

I rented a Recording King RK-15. It costs $49 for every 3 months. If I decide the buy it, the rental money goes towards the purchase price.

LOL - This is probably my favorite banjo joke...
  22. Replies
    Views

Or you could be this guy:
  23. Replies
    Views

The Angel Gabriel

Another Advent hymn for the season, recorded a couple of years ago. Again, Dadgad guitar on a custom Brook guitar, hand built in Devon

https://youtu.be/7LNoxS2XRUw
  24. Replies
    Views

My Eastman 315 Distress/Refinish

I bought a 315 [for a super price] from a guy use who used it as his "beater" mandolin, but it was really his "badly beaten" mandolin. There was no structural damage, and it had a great sound, but it...
  25. Replies
    Views

Bluegrass Beginners Tips

The current issue of Premier Guitar has a short article with tips for beginners interested in bluegrass. His instrument is guitar, but these apply equally well to the mandolin . . .
Page 1 of 2 1 2